Cord Cutters - Gator Games?

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alrighty, guys, I have one weekend of viewing under my belt as a cord cutter and here are my observations.

First, the "WatchESPN" app rocks. I could watch any game the Worldwide Leader and ABC were covering - which is most of them. I did not miss a second of the Gator game on SECN and was able to peek in on Bammer, Clemmy, even USF and UVA - you name it. The FoxSports app is very good, too. I watched Stanford Friday night, and BYU-AZ last night with no issues whatsoever.

As far as I can tell, CBS is going to be a problem. It looks as if I'd have to pay a monthly fee to stream those bastids, meaning I missed TAMU yesterday. I'm not yet sure about ND on NBC - but that's not a killer for me. I'd like to have them, but.... We'll see next week if I can stream them when they play Nevada at home on NBC. I plan to look into an antenna to get the broadcast networks, which will solve my CBS problem. Or, I could go to a bar and watch us when we're the CBS game of the week (which, based on last night's performance, will probably be only twice - Chuggers and Humpers).

Some other thoughts: I have to get used to watching one game, because bopping back and forth between two (or more) requires a series of clicks on the remote and waiting a tick for the screen to load, rather than simply hitting one button. Not terrible and by last night, I was getting used to this - but it is a change. And when you do have to watch commercials, they literally are the same 2-3 over and over and over. If I see that asshat Dr. Pepper guy in his RV, or that Evan Williams bourbon commercial again, you may be reading about me on the news and not in a good way..... Finally, I do not have a DVR, which means no going back and watching a play I might have missed, or a score on the crawler at the bottom of the screen. DVRs without cable can be a bit of a challenge apparently, but I am beginning to look at this, too.

All in all, I am staying a cord cutter. While I am making some sacrifices as opposed to having cable - they are not enough to make me pay the $140-ish/mo or whatever my old cable bill was.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alrighty, guys, I have one weekend of viewing under my belt as a cord cutter and here are my observations.

First, the "WatchESPN" app rocks. I could watch any game the Worldwide Leader and ABC were covering - which is most of them. I did not miss a second of the Gator game on SECN and was able to peek in on Bammer, Clemmy, even USF and UVA - you name it. The FoxSports app is very good, too. I watched Stanford Friday night, and BYU-AZ last night with no issues whatsoever.

As far as I can tell, CBS is going to be a problem. It looks as if I'd have to pay a monthly fee to stream those bastids, meaning I missed TAMU yesterday. I'm not yet sure about ND on NBC - but that's not a killer for me. I'd like to have them, but.... We'll see next week if I can stream them when they play Nevada at home on NBC. I plan to look into an antenna to get the broadcast networks, which will solve my CBS problem. Or, I could go to a bar and watch us when we're the CBS game of the week (which, based on last night's performance, will probably be only twice - Chuggers and Humpers).

Some other thoughts: I have to get used to watching one game, because bopping back and forth between two (or more) requires a series of clicks on the remote and waiting a tick for the screen to load, rather than simply hitting one button. Not terrible and by last night, I was getting used to this - but it is a change. And when you do have to watch commercials, they literally are the same 2-3 over and over and over. If I see that asshat Dr. Pepper guy in his RV, or that Evan Williams bourbon commercial again, you may be reading about me on the news and not in a good way..... Finally, I do not have a DVR, which means no going back and watching a play I might have missed, or a score on the crawler at the bottom of the screen. DVRs without cable can be a bit of a challenge apparently, but I am beginning to look at this, too.

All in all, I am staying a cord cutter. While I am making some sacrifices as opposed to having cable - they are not enough to make me pay the $140-ish/mo or whatever my old cable bill was.
You can solve your CBS issue with an over the air antenna. Good ones are anywhere from 40 to 75 bucks. So not bad considering.

I noticed all the same things you mention with streaming. Decided to look into them using my laptop.
But for me, the overall channels you get with OTA antenna, and the cost of having just Internet, hasn't enticed me yet. If the cost of internet gets cheaper for a solid connection, then I'll look into it more, because I'll probably add back things like Hulu, etc.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cable TV is DEAD..........they just don't know it yet. Good riddance....

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I don't think you ever said what device that you were streaming with. If it's Roku then you can watch the private channel "XTV" I'm watching CBS but I don't know what city. I will post when I find out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If the team doesn't get a bunch better, I may cut the cable just to have an excuse not to watch.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I'm paying $5.99 to stream it through the CBS app. However CBS has struck a deal with PlayStation Vue. Unfortunately it depends on where you live. I live in Tampa and it's not available in my market yet. But it's coming.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you are using PlayStation Vue, and you have a Roku, pay the $85 for the Amazon fire TV(it's on the Labor Day sale right now on Amazon). I've always used Roku but the UI on the Amazon fire TV for the PlayStation Vue is vastly superior to the Roku.

I even paid $6 for an airplay app on the Fire TV and I can stream my phone to it. I do that to stream my music.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Your throat is always another option.....just sayin'
giphy.gif

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm paying $5.99 to stream it through the CBS app. However CBS has struck a deal with PlayStation Vue. Unfortunately it depends on where you live. I live in Tampa and it's not available in my market yet. But it's coming.

Picked up a digital anteanna over the weekend, have to finish the installation, but ABC, FOX, and the FTTA news channel that is used for games along with MOR, MYTV, and a few other coming through at 1080i.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Picked up a digital anteanna over the weekend, have to finish the installation, but ABC, FOX, and the FTTA news channel that is used for games along with MOR, MYTV, and a few other coming through at 1080i.

Which one did you get? I'm looking at the Mohu - Leaf Metro or Releaf 30 - $19 and $39 respectively.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Which one did you get? I'm looking at the Mohu - Leaf Metro or Releaf 30 - $19 and $39 respectively.

I went a little more expensive, the one in the bedroom was 60, and I'm putting up a $119 on the exterior of my house, so I don't have issues with weather. Should be able to hook all the tvs in the house to that one.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I went a little more expensive, the one in the bedroom was 60, and I'm putting up a $119 on the exterior of my house, so I don't have issues with weather. Should be able to hook all the tvs in the house to that one.

And that setup is working well?

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just installed last night (due to weather) so I'll let you know. so far it's nice, but I was watching ESPN last night

Thanks.

I'm just interested in connecting 1 TV. I do miss an integrated DVR. That'll be after the antenna....

That we're somewhat inexplicably the CBS game Saturday is forcing me to find time this week to do it. Or, head to the local sports bar....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks.

I'm just interested in connecting 1 TV. I do miss an integrated DVR. That'll be after the antenna....

That we're somewhat inexplicably the CBS game Saturday is forcing me to find time this week to do it. Or, head to the local sports bar....

I had to go outdoor anteanna because I was roughly 35 miles from the towe

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.