Cooter, Help! Zambo gets Betty too hot

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I should have said, it's not a 'big payday' (when selling low income houses). We're hoping to do more projects, right now we're doing about two a year. We'd like to get it up to 6 to 10. So I'm making about $12k/project....this is only our second year. I'm happy w/ the %, but if we can get the prices up to $180K+ and keep costs down our profits will increase significantly. The issue is finding cheap lots - which is getting harder and harder to do.
I'm sure you are aware, but any 2/1 that you can turn into a 3/2 gets good bang for the buck, but you really can't do that with 1200 sq ft. You'd either have to expand it a bit or go vertical. I'm sure you are well aware of this, you've probably got a decent niche, especially if credit tightens even more for first time home buyers.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some more grinding on the EM-50 project. Its like a puzzle. So the new entry door arrived and I wanted to install it, but there is a lower panel that needs to go on the side first. Also I need to install the vents for the new fridge, there is a lower and upper vent that lets the air circulate behind the fridge where the cooling mechanism is located. And finally, I framed in a new window where the old full size fridge used to be, but since the window has rounded corners I need to patch some of the siding to match the window frame. The hole is where the old vent used to be and the corner is square.

I got out the old lower side panels and started to clean them up, but they were looking pretty rough. Too much corrosion and a big split on one of the panels so I decided to replace them. Thankfully there is a shop about an hour from here where they make these panels. They just take a sheet of aluminum and run it through the correct roller die to make the shape. I brought the old panels to them and we measured everything up and cranked out a new set. Hunnert bucks.
IMG_6024 2.JPG IMG_6021 2.JPG IMG_6026 2.JPG

The tricky part of installing the new panels is getting the front and rear edges installed properly in the vertical channel. Also, some of the fasteners that hold them go into wood and some go into the metal RV frame. In any event it took a couple hours but they went on pretty good. I used the old fender frame to mark the wheel well and used tin snips to cut it out.
IMG_6033.JPG IMG_6031.JPG

Once those lower panels were on I cut out the spots where the vents would go. I decided to re-use the old original vents that came off the vehicle. The upper one is just a louvered panel that lets hot air out, the lower one is a louvered door you use to access the guts of the fridge. I cut the hole using a vibrating multi-tool and some tin snips, cleaned up the edges with the sander and a router bit, and screwed the panels on. Before mounting anything into the side of the RV though, first you have to use this thick putty tape around the flanges to seal out any water from getting in. When I first started using this **** it was a giant mess, but after a little practice and keeping the putty cold and my fingers wet it goes on easy enough. Just apply it to the flange and then when you screw the panel or door or whatever down it compresses the putty and makes a tight seal. Since the aluminum siding has high and low spots, I put a little extra putty in each of the valleys.

When the guy was making the lower panels he messed up one and got the ridges and valleys backward so he gave me that piece for free. I used it to cut up patches around the forward edge of the upper vent and the upper edge of the new window. Once its all painted it'll be very hard to notice. Finally all that was done and I was able to get some putty on the new door and screw it into place. The nice thing is that the more of these doors and hatches I get installed the more solid the entire frame of the coach becomes. Got one more baggage hatch to install and I gotta pull off the generator door and put new putty on the flanges. The exterior is just about done and the next task there will be paint, which won't happen until pretty much the end of the project.
IMG_6037.JPG IMG_6039.JPG

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
iu

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Some more grinding on the EM-50 project. Its like a puzzle. So the new entry door arrived and I wanted to install it, but there is a lower panel that needs to go on the side first. Also I need to install the vents for the new fridge, there is a lower and upper vent that lets the air circulate behind the fridge where the cooling mechanism is located. And finally, I framed in a new window where the old full size fridge used to be, but since the window has rounded corners I need to patch some of the siding to match the window frame. The hole is where the old vent used to be and the corner is square.

I got out the old lower side panels and started to clean them up, but they were looking pretty rough. Too much corrosion and a big split on one of the panels so I decided to replace them. Thankfully there is a shop about an hour from here where they make these panels. They just take a sheet of aluminum and run it through the correct roller die to make the shape. I brought the old panels to them and we measured everything up and cranked out a new set. Hunnert bucks.

The tricky part of installing the new panels is getting the front and rear edges installed properly in the vertical channel. Also, some of the fasteners that hold them go into wood and some go into the metal RV frame. In any event it took a couple hours but they went on pretty good. I used the old fender frame to mark the wheel well and used tin snips to cut it out.

Once those lower panels were on I cut out the spots where the vents would go. I decided to re-use the old original vents that came off the vehicle. The upper one is just a louvered panel that lets hot air out, the lower one is a louvered door you use to access the guts of the fridge. I cut the hole using a vibrating multi-tool and some tin snips, cleaned up the edges with the sander and a router bit, and screwed the panels on. Before mounting anything into the side of the RV though, first you have to use this thick putty tape around the flanges to seal out any water from getting in. When I first started using this **** it was a giant mess, but after a little practice and keeping the putty cold and my fingers wet it goes on easy enough. Just apply it to the flange and then when you screw the panel or door or whatever down it compresses the putty and makes a tight seal. Since the aluminum siding has high and low spots, I put a little extra putty in each of the valleys.

When the guy was making the lower panels he messed up one and got the ridges and valleys backward so he gave me that piece for free. I used it to cut up patches around the forward edge of the upper vent and the upper edge of the new window. Once its all painted it'll be very hard to notice. Finally all that was done and I was able to get some putty on the new door and screw it into place. The nice thing is that the more of these doors and hatches I get installed the more solid the entire frame of the coach becomes. Got one more baggage hatch to install and I gotta pull off the generator door and put new putty on the flanges. The exterior is just about done and the next task there will be paint, which won't happen until pretty much the end of the project.
I just reread this post again... I'm pretty tired and mentally toast, but my brain went all primal and schit and wandered off on a tangent while reading this part...

" When I first started using this **** it was a giant mess, but after a little practice and keeping the putty cold and my fingers wet it goes on easy enough. Just apply it to the flange and then when you screw the panel or door or whatever down it compresses the putty and makes a tight seal."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
RV Betty has a new motor boys. Couple buddies came over and we all chipped in getting her cranked up. Amazingly pretty much everything was where it was supposed to be......except the spark plug wires lol. I had the rotor timed right and the wires all in the correct firing order, except when I started at number 1 is went counterclockwise around the distributor cap instead of clockwise. We only wasted about a damn hour figuring that out but once we did it started right up like a champ. Got one small oil leak at the oil filler adapter which is an easy fix, and I need thread sealer on the outer exhaust manifold studs as apparently they go into the water jacket, but other than that she's tight.

I absolutely love this project.

I am not a fan of the fuel filter being in the engine compartment though. I've seen those fail , at the glue in the seam, especially with modern gas ahol eating up a rubber and the plastics. I've also seen them rub against something else or something hot.

gas dripping on a hot engine, not my favorite thing

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Got a bit more done today. Finished framing in and installing the water hookup and the outdoor shower. The entry door arrived and after test fitting it I was able to finish framing in the door. Also I fired up the generator while it was out of the camper so I could look it all over....surprisingly after all this time sitting it coughed and sputtered but came to life.
probably at least rebuild the carb. again gasahol is not your friend. not sure if ethanol friendly gaskets are available for that at least new gaskets would last longer.

tell you one other thing, I might be tempted to put a Honda generator in there instead. those things are so damn quiet.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
probably at least rebuild the car. again gasahol is not your friend. not sure if ethanol friendly gaskets are available for that at least new gaskets would last longer.

tell you one other thing, I might be tempted to put a Honda generator in there instead. those things are so damn quiet.
I am seriously considering a portable generator but there are a lot of things that are just going back together as is right now due to trying to keep the project moving. The gen I have runs fine and it’s in place so for now it’s staying. FYI last weekend we borrowed a predator 3500 portable, the harbor freight brand!, and it ran great and was pretty stinking quiet. I’d like to not only be able to use it for other things but also to move it out of the rv when we are set up so it’s super quiet inside.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I absolutely love this project.

I am not a fan of the fuel filter being in the engine compartment though. I've seen those fail , at the glue in the seam, especially with modern gas ahol eating up a rubber and the plastics. I've also seen them rub against something else or something hot.

gas dripping on a hot engine, not my favorite thing
Another area where I’m just trying to get it together for now. Since it’s a mechanical pump and the tank is all the way at the rear AND the thing sits for long periods I put a little priming bulb in the line. The clear filter lets me see when the fuel has reached the carb so I don’t flood it when I’m priming it. It will all be replaced with a nice fuel injection system soon.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The other problem with simply using a portable generator is that the coach doesn't have in-dash AC. So when we are driving down the road, if and when it gets hot we'd have to run the roof AC to cool it down. So the gen needs to run while driving down the road, which means issues with hooking it up, starting it, expelling the exhaust, etc that all have to be addressed.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Put a windwill on the roof, driving down the road it causes the prop to spin. It's like free energy. In fact, you could prolly put in some batteries and store the excess, then sell it back to the power company. Smart huh?

Here's a picture of my wind turbine powered two-tone F-150. I'm really good at this kinda schit.
iu

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Another area where I’m just trying to get it together for now. Since it’s a mechanical pump and the tank is all the way at the rear AND the thing sits for long periods I put a little priming bulb in the line. The clear filter lets me see when the fuel has reached the carb so I don’t flood it when I’m priming it. It will all be replaced with a nice fuel injection system soon.
Yeah I thought that was a mechanical fuel pump on the left under the distributor. I do not know that much about Dodges.

Honestly I'd probably get rid of that now and get the block off plate. if your electric fuel pump goes on the fritz, you can get another electric fuel pump anywhere anytime. The problem is going to be getting the block off plate. That's probably a custom order kind of thing.

Let's face it, you know and I know this is a Bajamobile. Probably nothing wrong with a carb on that but I don't think I would run mechanical fuel pump or a distributor with points.

I am a big fan of the Mallory or forget the other brand type CDI box. Even if you don't put in like a Pertronix or similar, the points are just tripping the box and the pointd last a long time. If you are running points I would keep several spare known good pairs of points because the quality has been just been garbage in my experience, although I was dealing with Bosch.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
yeah I thought that was a mechanical fuel pump on the left under the distributor.

honestly I'd probably get rid of that now and get the block off plate. if your electric fuel pump goes on the fritz oh, you can get another electric fuel pump anywhere anytime. the problem is going to be getting the block off plate. that's probably a custom order kind of thing.

Let's face it, you know and I know this is a Baja mobile. probably nothing wrong with a carb on that but I don't think I would run mechanical fuel pump or a distributor with points. I'm a big fan of the Mallory or forget the other brand type CDI box. even if you don't put in like a Pertronix or similar, the points are just tripping the box and they last a long time. if you are running points I would keep several spare known Goode's pairs of points because the quality has been just been garbage in my experience, although I was dealing with Bosch.
It doesn't have points I converted it to an HEI distributor. Like I said the carb is just temporary, I'll put an FITech fuel injection system on it before I do any big trips with it. I used the FITech on my race truck and it ran flawlessly. It uses an electric pump way in the back by the fuel tank.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The other problem with simply using a portable generator is that the coach doesn't have in-dash AC. So when we are driving down the road, if and when it gets hot we'd have to run the roof AC to cool it down. So the gen needs to run while driving down the road, which means issues with hooking it up, starting it, expelling the exhaust, etc that all have to be addressed.
I mean, is that not just a portable generator with a with a custom exhaust.

Honda versus Harbor Freight is a no-brainer in my mind. I think those harbor freights have the knockoff equivalent of Briggs & Stratton, probably made in the same factory in China as the Briggs & Stratton stuff, but there's no way I would choose that over Honda. Plus then you have the Honda generator for your house when the next catastrophe happens.

But I agree if the one you have works I'd keep running it until it doesn't work anymore.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It doesn't have points I converted it to an HEI distributor. Like I said the carb is just temporary, I'll put an FITech fuel injection system on it before I do any big trips with it. I used the FITech on my race truck and it ran flawlessly. It uses an electric pump way in the back by the fuel tank.
you guys run regular pemex gas down there or do you have special racing gas stations?

if you understand the FI well then that's cool. I was like having a carburetor that will run ****ty gas. some fuel injection won't do that.

I love this project.

It is a Bajamobile, right?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
you guys run regular pemex gas down there or do you have special racing gas stations?

if you understand the FI well then that's cool. I was like having a carburetor that will run ****ty gas. some fuel injection won't do that.

I love this project.

It is a Bajamobile, right?
The gas in Mexico is fine, unless you buy it out of some dude's fuel drum on the side of his house because the next gas station is too far away. Then it might have water in it. Other than that its fine. The FI systems freaking rock. They automatically adjust for all sorts of things that carburetors can't handle. The setup I had on the race truck even handled the timing. Instead of controlling timing with weights and spring under the rotor cap, you lock out the rotor and the distributor basically becomes like a crank sensor and sends a signal to the FI computer which then controls the timing based on crank position, throttle position, manifold pressure etc. It works badass. This thing will only be a Bajamobile if I feel confident that it'll be reliable.
31005Master Kit Easy Street EFI + In-line Fuel Pump - FiTech Fuel Injection

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Put a windwill on the roof, driving down the road it causes the prop to spin. It's like free energy. In fact, you could prolly put in some batteries and store the excess, then sell it back to the power company. Smart huh?

Here's a picture of my wind turbine powered two-tone F-150. I'm really good at this kinda schit.
iu
that schit just might work! :scratchhead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.