Could Kyle Trask have Joe Burrow-type jump in 2020?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We've had this discussion before...but here's another new story on it:

Florida Football: Could Kyle Trask have Joe Burrow-type jump in 2020?

Florida Football: Could Kyle Trask have Joe Burrow-type jump in 2020?

Kyle Trask had an impressive first season as starter for Florida football but could he have a Joe Burrow-type jump for the Gators in 2020?

Joe Burrow was an absolute magician in 2019. He went from above average quarterback in 2018 in his first year as starter with LSU to Heisman Trophy winner and projected No. 1 overall pick.

Now that Burrow has exhausted his eligibility, it’s time to look at what quarterback could follow that same path and go from above average quarterback to All-American and Heisman Trophy winner — or at least contender.

One name that comes to mind right away is fellow SEC passer Kyle Trask. They have plenty of similarities other than the fact that Burrow was much more mobile in his two years at LSU than Trask was in his first full year as QB1 with Florida. That shouldn’t make too much of a difference here because Burrow was known more for his prolific passing stats.

Will Dan Mullen let Trask air it out 527 times like Ed Orgeron let Burrow do in 2019? Probably not, but there’s no doubt the Gator head coach will feed the hot hand whenever possible.

Now let’s take a look at some similarities.

Size-wise, Burrow and Trask are similar, but the latter has about 15-20 pounds on the former LSU star. He also has an inch on him, but it just goes to prove that he has ideal size for a quarterback at both the college and NFL levels.

Outside of size, Trask may be slightly ahead of where Burrow was as a first-year starter at the collegiate level.

In fact, Burrow passed for 2,894 yards and 16 touchdowns with five interceptions in 2018 while completing 58 percent of his passes. In 2019, Trask had 2,941 yards and 25 touchdowns with seven picks and a 67 percent completion rate. He’s ahead of schedule, but there’s one thing that benefitted Burrow that Trask doesn’t have the luxury of: Joe Brady.

The LSU passing game coordinator helped improve Burrow in every statistical category, but if Trask continues to improve at a high clip, he’ll make a legit jump in 2020.

No, I don’t think Trask is going to win the Heisman Trophy or even be named an All-American, but I do believe he’ll see a massive jump in production and surpass 3,500 passing yards and 30 touchdowns on the season. He can be an NFL quarterback with his size, accurate arm and above average decision making which many people don’t realize.

However, if there’s any quarterback in college football who can go from slightly above average to household name, it’s Trask in 2020.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Could definitely happen. For a few reasons:
  1. Benefitting from being the guy. I do not think there will be a QB controversy without Spring practice.
  2. Extra reps working with the receivers both in practice and in the off-season months where more of that time was with Franks last year.
  3. The offensive line has to improve, and talent on defense for our opponents have graduated, right?
  4. Dan Mullen won't be fighting a pass first offensive approach for weeks.
  5. Going back to #3, the running game should force more run support from opposing defenses, thus opening the passing lanes.
  6. A healthy Toney, can make magic with the YAC.
  7. Pitts improvement and Zipperer coming on.
  8. The amount of receivers we are gonna have that are 6-3 or above could cause nightmares for defenses.
  9. Copeland and Wells could live up to the hype we keep hearing (granted Cope began to come on some near the end of last season.
  10. All those new DC's we will be facing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Could definitely happen. For a few reasons:
  1. Benefitting from being the guy. I do not think there will be a QB controversy without Spring practice.
  2. Extra reps working with the receivers both in practice and in the off-season months where more of that time was with Franks last year.
  3. The offensive line has to improve, and talent on defense for our opponents have graduated, right?
  4. Dan Mullen won't be fighting a pass first offensive approach for weeks.
  5. Going back to #3, the running game should force more run support from opposing defenses, thus opening the passing lanes.
  6. A healthy Toney, can make magic with the YAC.
  7. Pitts improvement and Zipperer coming on.
  8. The amount of receivers we are gonna have that are 6-3 or above could cause nightmares for defenses.
  9. Copeland and Wells could live up to the hype we keep hearing (granted Cope began to come on some near the end of last season.
  10. All those new DC's we will be facing.

Good list, optimistic. A lot of stars have to align (which they certainly did for LSU and Burrow).

I think our WR corps is too green for him to have anything close to what Burrow had last year. I'd like to see him improve on last year (up his completion percentage a bit), run the ball more (at least keep it a few more times vs. handing it off 99.99% of the time), and see improvement from our OL - which will benefit the running game and his time in the pocket.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Good list, optimistic. A lot of stars have to align (which they certainly did for LSU and Burrow).

I think our WR corps is too green for him to have anything close to what Burrow had last year. I'd like to see him improve on last year (up his completion percentage a bit), run the ball more (at least keep it a few more times vs. handing it off 99.99% of the time), and see improvement from our OL - which will benefit the running game and his time in the pocket.

True, but if we look at LSU, it wasn't like they were running 10 deep at WR like we were last year. Grimes, as a featured WR, could go off. Toney of course is big if he remains healthy. Pitts and Copeland could do well. Plus, If Shorter plays and lives up to his recruiting ranking, we have a good base.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2:

The real question should have been with Joe Burrow still look like a below-average quarterback if he were forced to continuing running the spread option.

No quarterback forced to run option ball or running a sideways dink-and-dunk passing offense is ever going to look like Joe Burrow 2019

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"but there’s one thing that benefitted Burrow that Trask doesn’t have the luxury of: Joe Brady."

End of story.

Mullinzball.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The question posed is ludicrous. But in a word, no.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well this says it all. I could not bring myself to even read the article b/c obviously the author was bored and needed to think of some topic to write about given that sports is on hiatus b/c of the KUNG FLU. But seriously, how can anyone come up with such a ludicrous thought knowing Cousin Eddie is the head coach and I doubt that he would ever be willing to change anything on offense b/c, correct me if I am wrong, it is all he knows.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Burrows constantly threw into double coverage and the receivers fought for and caught the ball....it makes the offense work. Some of our returners can’t catch a cold consistently.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
The LSU receivers last year were great at catching the ball in tight coverage AND making the coverage guy miss the tackle. Without that second part, Joe Burrow would look much more human. Their ability to make the first guy miss added over a thousand yards to his stats.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Burrows was benefited from having a great OC, and NFL talent across the board around him. A down year for the other two major teams in the west. Alabama's worst defense in the Saban era, and having all the bounces go their way. Trask who was solid last year, doesn't have the same level of talent around him or in the coaching staff that Burrow benefited from last year. The schedule looks like it will line up well, but I don't expect the bounces to go our way the same way it did for LSU, or honestly how they went our way last year. We got the benefit of a number of bounces last year, but when you have a year with good luck, it usually regress to the mean. On a side note, I do believe LSU is also gonna have some bad bounces this coming season. Similarly they had some bad breaks in 2018.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Trask should have a great year.

Burrows had a "Perfect Storm" Year...It's very RARE...Especially in the SEC.

And as said earlier...Donk...

...even during the "Zombie Apocalypse"...His story SSTTTTAAAAAAYYYYYYYYSSSSS the same.

At least he's consistent.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fvkking Mullinz will run the ball 60-80% of the time and throw sideways 80%.

do you idiots even watch our football games?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

An exaggeration of point, but that doesn’t nudge the needle on the question being posed.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Burrows had all day to find his targets and had some good receives that helped him tremendously. His OC knew exactly what to do with him under those circumstances.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Idiots? 60%-80% running and 60% throwing sideways is 120% - 140%...If Mullen can get 120% when everyone else gets 100% we should be doing well:what:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.