Crypto startup is offering 8.6% interest on savings accounts

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Reporting back on Blockfi: I have had this now since mid-January, I opened it w/ $5k and have deposited a total of $12,750 - $5300 is in cash (earning 8.6%) and the rest is split up among their crypto options: BTC (.0994), ETH (0.513), LINK (20.27), & LTC (2.22) - they also have PAXG (gold) option, which I don't have any of. The account is worth ~$14,200. So far, so good. They run promotions often - such as "earn 10% on any new USD deposits" (so you get an extra 1.4% on top of the 8.6% on USD holdings).

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Reporting back on Blockfi: I have had this now since mid-January, I opened it w/ $5k and have deposited a total of $12,750 - $5300 is in cash (earning 8.6%) and the rest is split up among their crypto options: BTC (.0994), ETH (0.513), LINK (20.27), & LTC (2.22) - they also have PAXG (gold) option, which I don't have any of. The account is worth ~$14,200. So far, so good. They run promotions often - such as "earn 10% on any new USD deposits" (so you get an extra 1.4% on top of the 8.6% on USD holdings).
I’m very similar:

.08 BTC
1.01 ETH
1 LTC
And about $6200 in GUSD that funds my daily DCA purchase of $20 of BTC

I’ve been paid about $185 in interest which has bought more BTC

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I’m very similar:

.08 BTC
1.01 ETH
1 LTC
And about $6200 in GUSD that funds my daily DCA purchase of $20 of BTC

I’ve been paid about $185 in interest which has bought more BTC

Through which platform?

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I actually just did just to check it out, but if you just keep up with his youtube channel you will definitely know when we hit an "accumulation" phase, usually right after a 50% crash and mainstream media writing an obituary for crypto again.
So I guess we are in somewhat of an accumulation phase right now. I am still just putting $20/day into BTC and probably should be putting in more. You being a subscribing member you probably have access to daily risk charts which would be awesome. Would love to know in a timely fashion when we get into the blue zone.

EDIT: Just bumped it up to $40 per day. At current valuation gets me another 1% every 10 days. Would love to see this phase for a good long stretch to allow me to catch up.

Last edited:

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
So I guess we are in somewhat of an accumulation phase right now. I am still just putting $20/day into BTC and probably should be putting in more. You being a subscribing member you probably have access to daily risk charts which would be awesome. Would love to know in a timely fashion when we get into the blue zone.

EDIT: Just bumped it up to $40 per day. At current valuation gets me another 1% every 10 days. Would love to see this phase for a good long stretch to allow me to catch up.

I just tried it out for a trial period did not keep paying because I checked it out during a bull market and was not getting anything I did not know (market was very heated and I had paused buying bitcoin).

That being said I am seriously thinking of rejoining now. I am doing the same strategy with bitcoin and other alt coins currently. But you need to be comfortable with crazy drops and long bear markets. Currently bitcoin is down to about 50% of my crypto portfolio. The other 50% is mostly ADA followed by ether, with some defi plays sprinkled in. am trying to emulate a total crypto market etf in my portfolio.

I have recurring automatic daily buys on blockfi to earn interest on stablecoin and bitcoin simultaneously. Interesting times.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Anyone w/ a Blockfi account figure out how to see your dollar cost average on your purchases?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I have no complaints w/ Blockfi. The only issue I have is there's no dollar-cost-average function.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I got the Blockfi credit card recently. 3.5% promotional cash back in bitcoin. Pretty cool looking too. 2% extra apy on stablecoin for 9.5% interest is also really cool.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've had the blockfi account since January and can say I'm pleased with it - except for there's no 'dollar cost averaging' feature. Anyhow, I'm selling my primary home in a couple of weeks, going to get a pretty large check - thoughts on dumping a large portion into Blockfi to earn 8.6% on USD? I'm going to send a portion of it to my brokerage, but the rest would be sitting in a .4% "high interest savings" account....so why not move it to blockfi?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I've had the blockfi account since January and can say I'm pleased with it - except for there's no 'dollar cost averaging' feature. Anyhow, I'm selling my primary home in a couple of weeks, going to get a pretty large check - thoughts on dumping a large portion into Blockfi to earn 8.6% on USD? I'm going to send a portion of it to my brokerage, but the rest would be sitting in a .4% "high interest savings" account....so why not move it to blockfi?

Just remember you are buying stable coin with your USD, and it is not FDIC insured. Also blockfi has been under some regulator scrutiny. So if they go down, we are on our own.

Lots of other companies offer great apy on stable coin. I have GUSD on Gemini (7.4%), I have PAX on Blockfi ( 9.5% because I have their credit card) and I have USDC on Voyager (10%). The most questionable stable coin is USDT. Would never touch it.

I personally spread out the stable coins and spread out the exchanges to lower risk. Don't put all your eggs in one basket especially if it is a large sum of money.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Blockfi lowered all of their rates, now paying 8% on GUSD. I put just over $40k into GUSD, as they pay 8% on the first $40k, and 5% after that - still a good return. Also added a little today w/ the big crash that happened this morning. I'm at 25.4% of one BTC.

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
Been using BlockFi since last year as well. They're a solid company that has worked a bit with Fidelity. I really like their loan feature wherein you can borrow against your BTC. Just got the credit card too.

I am bummed about them lowering their interest rates.

I started using Voyager for new purchases. Voyager is currently giving 9% for USDC (stablecoin)

Voyager Earn Program

If anyone is interested they have a refer a friend program too. $25 of BTC if you buy $100 worth.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
I guess I am too old and set in my ways for things like this. Interest rates like these
seem too good to be true. When it comes to where I keep my money, I'll just stick
to my trust old mattress!

00g0g_crMVWPH3wrqz_07g04R_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I guess I am too old and set in my ways for things like this. Interest rates like these
seem too good to be true. When it comes to where I keep my money, I'll just stick
to my trust old mattress!

00g0g_crMVWPH3wrqz_07g04R_600x450.jpg

There are three specific risks involving earning interest with stable coins on centralized exchanges:

1. Risk of the company you are depositing your cash in going under. This could be slightly mitigated if you invest in publicly traded companies like Voyager for example. Their financials and balance sheets are public and released quarterly, and their revenue model is available for you to study, so it is not a "ponzi". There are other companies that are not publicly traded but heavily regulated like Gemini because they are located in NY.

2. Risk of the stablecoin itself failing to maintain its 1:1 peg to the dollar. Not all stablecoin is created equal. Some companies have much higher USD reserves than others. For example USDT aka tether is extremely questionable and more than 70% of their stable coins are backed by commercial paper. What is worse, is you won't find any bank or company that actually said they issued commercial paper to them.

USDC is much better, and they have recently increased their cash reserves in anticipating of a crackdown from the SEC and regulations on stablecoins. The best one I believe is PAX, which seems to hold more than 90% of their reserves in cash and US treasury notes.

3. Counter party risk: meaning if we had a wide spread economic stressful event that ended causing lendees defaulting on their loans to the companies that are giving you the interest. So far we had one massive >50% flash crash in the crypto markets in may without any issues. But this is certainly always uncertain.

I would treat this as another risk on investment, but behaves differently than other vehicles. Definitely don't put all your eggs in one basket.

But keeping too much cash is definitely a mistake in this hyperinflationary environment. As always, do your own research.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Wasn't there something that came out about Tether holding Chinese paper?

They may have. I have read so many conflicting stories about their holdings, which in and on itself raises major red flags. Their audits are all a sham.

Many are expecting crypto to collapse if tether collapses, but I think their effect is overrated, especially on big cap assets like Bitcoin and Ethereum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator