Curly Neal passes away

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
RIP Curly. You, Meadlowlark and your team were such great entertainers.

Globetrotters legend Fred 'Curly' Neal dies at 77

Fred "Curly" Neal, the slick-dribbling face of the Harlem Globetrotters for 22 years, has died at the age of 77, Johnson C. Smith University announced Thursday on Twitter.

Neal, with his recognizable shaved head and playful banter, in 2008 became just the fifth Globetrotters player to have his jersey retired, joining Wilt Chamberlain, Marques Haynes, Meadowlark Lemon and Goose Tatum.

His jersey was raised to the rafters of Madison Square Garden during a special ceremony.

Neal played in more than 6,000 games in 97 countries for the barnstorming Globetrotters from 1963 to 1985.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
RIP Curly. You, Meadlowlark and your team were such great entertainers.

Globetrotters legend Fred 'Curly' Neal dies at 77

Fred "Curly" Neal, the slick-dribbling face of the Harlem Globetrotters for 22 years, has died at the age of 77, Johnson C. Smith University announced Thursday on Twitter.

Neal, with his recognizable shaved head and playful banter, in 2008 became just the fifth Globetrotters player to have his jersey retired, joining Wilt Chamberlain, Marques Haynes, Meadowlark Lemon and Goose Tatum.

His jersey was raised to the rafters of Madison Square Garden during a special ceremony.

Neal played in more than 6,000 games in 97 countries for the barnstorming Globetrotters from 1963 to 1985.
And achieved a won loss record few will ever approach.
RIP Curly.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
They were great indeed. I can remember how we’d talk all week at school about them being on ABC’s Wide World of Sports come Saturday. Great entertainers. Who remembers the cartoon version that came on for a while? We even had a ‘Trotter from Quincy, the late Billy Ray Hobley. Curley was a crowd favorite with his smile and great dribbling ability. I guess there’s not many of them from my youth left. Funny thing though, we all knew they were entertainers first and foremost, but I never dreamed the modern NBA would more resemble them than the competitive league I once enjoyed.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I had the great pleasure of watching the Globetrotter's live once in my youth. It was in a smallish town at the home of Austin Peay State University. B/C it was not a large town Meadowlark Lemon was not there, so Geese Ausbie played the post and the mouthpiece of the team. Geese even made the half court heave that Meadowlark was so famous for. They were outstanding, the baseball bit, confetti, bucket of water, they did it all. The ball void of air when the ref bounced it, etc. But in all honesty, most of them though entertainers, were darn good basketball players.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Curly brought a lot of joy and laughter all over the world. RIP. He played from 63 to 85. I saw them live in 63 or 64 either in Lakeland or Orlando I believe. But I saw them on TV so many times and I am so old its hard to remember. I laughed as hard and as long as I have ever laughed in my life.​

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I saw them a few times as a kid. I remember seeing them in Orlando, I believe for the last time, probably in the early 80s. What a great show they put on!

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I used to run by that hospital all the time.... Didn't realize he lived close by.

Those guys were so awesome. So funny. So entertaining. So talented. Those guys could flat out play. RIP.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I never had the chance to see them in person but I remember watching them every time they were on TV. What great memories.

With all those games you would think that the Generals would have won at least one time

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My guy was Meadowlark Lemon. I remember him in the mid 60s doing his schtick. I thought he was the funniest man with basketball skills to ever live. My dad said when he was young Goose Tatum was the greatest Trotter. I loved watching them as a kid cause I loved basketball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.