Current trend: Grier will skip bowl game, focus on draft

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bowl games rarely involve 'my' team or your team. They occur in distant venues. Besides, tell me about that WVU certain team minus Grier.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
JMHO, but expanding beyond 8 teams would mean top teams resting players during rivalry week. Could you imagine if Tebow and Percy sat out vs the nole$ because UF was a lock for the Top 16? Gator Nation would riot.

How so? You have to win your conference ... or ... stay high enough ranked to get an at large bid. Rivalry week would still very much matter since it comes before the conference championships.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Bowl games rarely involve 'my' team or your team. They occur in distant venues. Besides, tell me about that WVU certain team minus Grier.

Camping World Bowl averages around 40k tickets sold per game. It’s mostly fans of the teams looking for a reason to take a winter vacation in Florida, and locals that various corporate entities throw free tickets to. Individual players who are household names that might drive ticket sales (a la Tebow) are few and far between. Grier isn’t one of them.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
When did f$u join the SEC?

If we have won the East, then we have to go play the West in SEC Championship the following week. That game is never a given, therefore, a win against FSU is still very important.

If we are not representing the East, then we still have to win against FSU in order to stay high enough in the rankings to get an at-large spot.

Maybe if the East is a disaster and we somehow limped into the SEC Championship game with 3-4 losses and our rankings suck. Then I could see it possibly being an issue. But seriously ... its rivalry week. I think the pressure would be too great for any player to take a game off or a coach to sit certain players. But I get it ... you have a point ... I just don't know how valid it would be, and given that we now have players taking off games in the current situation, its a bit of a wash.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we have won the East, then we have to go play the West in SEC Championship the following week. That game is never a given, therefore, a win against FSU is still very important.

If we are not representing the East, then we still have to win against FSU in order to stay high enough in the rankings to get an at-large spot.

Maybe if the East is a disaster and we somehow limped into the SEC Championship game with 3-4 losses and our rankings suck. Then I could see it possibly being an issue. But seriously ... its rivalry week. I think the pressure would be too great for any player to take a game off or a coach to sit certain players. But I get it ... you have a point ... I just don't know how valid it would be, and given that we now have players taking off games in the current situation, its a bit of a wash.

It's valid enough Spurrier wanted the bye week before the SEC Championship game instead of before FSU (where it used to be before the expanded schedule), because winning the SEC was a more important goal. If the goal is a national title, and you are a 2 loss team that has won it's division why risk your players during that week because it doesn't effect your playoff chances in your model.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
If the goal is a national title, and you are a 2 loss team that has won it's division why risk your players during that week because it doesn't effect your playoff chances in your model.

Because ...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Because ...

I'm saying it's more than the players taking the games off, it's the coaches that would start taking them off. The cost/benefit. If I lose my rivalry game, but make the playoff which is more important? What are my bonuses tied to? Will I start studying film on the championship game match up instead of a rivalry game that has no effect on my entry into the playoff?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I'm saying it's more than the players taking the games off, it's the coaches that would start taking them off. The cost/benefit. If I lose my rivalry game, but make the playoff which is more important? What are my bonuses tied to? Will I start studying film on the championship game match up instead of a rivalry game that has no effect on my entry into the playoff?

You didnt say that. Spurrier wanting to move a bye week and a coach taking players out is too different things

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You didnt say that. Spurrier wanting to move a bye week and a coach taking players out is too different things

No it's the same line of thinking... that is what you aren't realizing. You are acting that this would be a new thought process, but it's not.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
No it's the same line of thinking... that is what you aren't realizing. You are acting that this would be a new thought process, but it's not.

No it isn't ... in fact, it is exactly as I am saying. He wanted a week to rest his PLAYERS for the SEC Championship game. The fact that you have to go back to the 90s before the BCS even existed to try and make a point that isn't there speaks volumes. The only part of it that parallels to what you are saying is he is pointing out that the SEC Championship is more important that the FSU game. Well ... I agree. You don't? By the way ... we pulled a lot of our players out of the FSU game this year but that is just normal coaching.

..and I am not acting anything ... I am spitballing meaningless tribe on a message board. The exact opposite of action.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No it isn't ... in fact, it is exactly as I am saying. He wanted a week to rest his PLAYERS for the SEC Championship game. The fact that you have to go back to the 90s before the BCS even existed to try and make a point that isn't there speaks volumes. The only part of it that parallels to what you are saying is he is pointing out that the SEC Championship is more important that the FSU game. Well ... I agree. You don't? By the way ... we pulled a lot of our players out of the FSU game this year but that is just normal coaching.

..and I am not acting anything ... I am spitballing meaningless tribe on a message board. The exact opposite of action.

You truly have no clue, good bye.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Camping World Bowl averages around 40k tickets sold per game. It’s mostly fans of the teams looking for a reason to take a winter vacation in Florida, and locals that various corporate entities throw free tickets to. Individual players who are household names that might drive ticket sales (a la Tebow) are few and far between. Grier isn’t one of them.

Oh. Don't know how I could have gooten that so wrong ?

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Outside of the 4 CFP teams, the benefit to the other bowl teams is the ability to get in extra practices and playing time. That being the case, why not limit participation in non-playoff bowl games to returning underclassmen only? Why waste the extra practice/playing time on guys who are otherwise finished?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

I use the 2008 team as a potential scenario because I believe it shows what COULD happen leading up to a 16 team playoff scenario (less likely with 8 teams), when UF is a serious contender and could similarly affect other teams.

meyer could’ve sat his major starters vs f$u and there’s NO WAY the CFP would drop UF lower than 16 knowing Timmy and Percy (among others) were resting up for the playoffs. Guarantee you coaches would follow the nfl model when they have a playoff spot locked up. That would render certain rivalry games at the end of the season much less meaningful (under certain conditions), which would piss off the fans who want to beat their big rival.

Think about how SOS said “there’s no trophy for beating f$u,” when explaining the SEC title was always his top priority. Lots of fans were pissed because we didn’t beat the nole$ as often as we’d hoped, especially those who live/work with the clown fans.

Plus, the premise (although sometimes faulty) that “every game matters” is what makes college ball more exciting. I believe a 16 team playoff would damage that significantly.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Outside of the 4 CFP teams, the benefit to the other bowl teams is the ability to get in extra practices and playing time. That being the case, why not limit participation in non-playoff bowl games to returning underclassmen only? Why waste the extra practice/playing time on guys who are otherwise finished?

There are many other benefits, the team has some more time together that they will never have again. The team gets some experiences that some or perhaps many would never have otherwise. The team, school, and conference gets exposure over the TV. Plenty others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.