Current trend: Grier will skip bowl game, focus on draft

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
There are many other benefits, the team has some more time together that they will never have again. The team gets some experiences that some or perhaps many would never have otherwise. The team, school, and conference gets exposure over the TV. Plenty others as well.

Exactly. Somebody finally points out the kids love these bowl games. Even the minor ones. Have fun in an out of town location with lots of activities and free swag. Fug off you guys with the know it all attitude of getting rid of bowl games.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
What a bish move by what should be a team leader to not play in the bowl game. Selfish and self centered as always. QB for hire, highest bidder gets him in a jersey, but nothing gets his loyalty.

What a douch.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I understand why all these players sit out, etc. but I am not a fan of it. That is why, outside of the final 4, I don;t put 2 cents into any of the bowl game results. The results are pointless. some teams have 4 or more guys not playing b/c they are sitting out. And how many of the guys who are playing are just doing so half speed to try and avoid injury? However I do think that all the practices are useful and important for the returning players next season.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
I understand why all these players sit out, etc. but I am not a fan of it. That is why, outside of the final 4, I don;t put 2 cents into any of the bowl game results. The results are pointless. some teams have 4 or more guys not playing b/c they are sitting out. And how many of the guys who are playing are just doing so half speed to try and avoid injury? However I do think that all the practices are useful and important for the returning players next season.
I get it, but the QB? Man that's a hit... How long before players not eligible for pros start sitting out so the will be healthy for next season to make their real run... I just don't like it, it's a millennial trend that has just started and it's setting a precedence. Mark my words more to come.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I get it, but the QB? Man that's a hit... How long before players not eligible for pros start sitting out so the will be healthy for next season to make their real run... I just don't like it, it's a millennial trend that has just started and it's setting a precedence. Mark my words more to come.

You might be correct and you will not get any argument from me regarding the entitlement society that we have become (sadly), however to combat that, since the athletic scholarships are 1 year renewals, I would say if that begins to occur then just don;t renew that (those) players scholarships.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
You might be correct and you will not get any argument from me regarding the entitlement society that we have become (sadly), however to combat that, since the athletic scholarships are 1 year renewals, I would say if that begins to occur then just don;t renew that (those) players scholarships.
I'd love to see that but don't think you will ever see that, these coaches rely on the star players far too much to take away a scholarship.

I'd like to see the NFL start dropping these players in the draft who sit out, but it will never happen.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What a bish move by what should be a team leader to not play in the bowl game. Selfish and self centered as always. QB for hire, highest bidder gets him in a jersey, but nothing gets his loyalty.

What a douch.
This was already discussed ad naseum, which is why I merged it with this thread. Were you drunk the entire time we talked about this?

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
This was already discussed ad naseum, which is why I merged it with this thread. Were you drunk the entire time we talked about this?
Probably, but when I typed it in, no like threads came up, so I posted. I did look thru the like threads, and I do have a life where I've been helping a friend get thru an attempted murder. So forgive me if I didn't go past page 1 and trust the like threads feature

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Probably, but when I typed it in, no like threads came up, so I posted. I did look thru the like threads, and I do have a life where I've been helping a friend get thru an attempted murder.
Was your buddy the one attempting to kill or attempting to be killed?

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
Was your buddy the one attempting to kill or attempting to be killed?
She was the one ne shot in the head, in a hospital, coerced to leave by who I think did it in the first place, found hypo thermic face down in the water with massive wound to the back of her head . She was then transported to the hospital till she was stable, then once she was put into protective custody. And has had to be moved once cause she was found

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Back to the topic on Grier, him bailing out of the bowl game completely screwed it for WVA. Syracuse would have been run out of Orlando with Grier lighting it up, instead the Mountaineers looked like a high school team with backup players, especially their QB, showing the entire game that they are just scrubs at this point. The losers here are the fans, TV viewers and the bowl admins that invited this situation, probably without thinking the teams they invited are not the ones that would show up.

On the flip side, if we beat Meatchiken tomorrow because of their players skipping the game I'll take it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The losers here are the fans, TV viewers and the bowl admins that invited this situation, probably without thinking the teams they invited are not the ones that would show up.
The losers were ALL of these stupid, meaningless bowl games like this one, that need to be scrapped. The number of bowl games needs to be cut in half, just for starters.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I get the financial aspect of the decision to sit out bowls, but why not sit out the rest of a season once it's apparent you won't be winning a national championship? Regular season games after a second loss are just as meaningless as a non-playoff bowl game. I just can't fathom abandoning my teammates and brothers like that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I get the financial aspect of the decision to sit out bowls, but why not sit out the rest of a season once it's apparent you won't be winning a national championship? Regular season games after a second loss are just as meaningless as a non-playoff bowl game. I just can't fathom abandoning my teammates and brothers like that.
Generally speaking I agree with you, although I think it's certainly easy for us to say that from our easy chairs.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
A simple fix would be to allow for universities to pay for draft insurance for players who choose to compete for the entire season. A few seasons ago the going rate was 8k per 1,000,000 of coverage. Obviously higher round guys should command higher policy amounts. It's a bargain for what the schools make per game and it is only paying them out if their stock is hurt by injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.