Current trend: Grier will skip bowl game, focus on draft

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Not a surprise, very selfish. Says something to those that might want to draft them, like say the Dolphins.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This thread has potential

Will be interesting if a Heisman finalist, or worse, the heisman winner sits out the bowl game.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I really dislike this. I guess if you are projected to be a 1st rounder and not in the playoffs...makes sense.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another reason why college ball will be a fraction of its glory in a few years.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have nothing against players choosing to sit out a bowl game. I would rather them sit than put on the uniform go out onto the field and half AZZ it (see Channing Crowder). The sitting out by players and the half AZZing by others is exactly why I put ZERO stock into the results of the bowl games, excluding the 4 teams playing for the trophy. The actual game and results of the other 733 bowl games mean nothing. However I do believe that the bowl practices are very valuable.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I just wanna say one more time...fck Will Grier and his selfish ass.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Required? How would that work? You'd just have guys fake injuries.

Yeah, a lot of pussies would. If they are good enough to play 14 games or whatever, they should stick with their team and play one more. Fvk the NFL and all the over rated cry baby over paid whiney asses anyhow.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, WVU stood behind Grier when he was perceived as a cheating pariah across college football and made this all possible.

On the other hand, he has one shot to maximize the financial payoff from the draft that will be almost certain to guarantee his family is set for the rest of their lives even if he doesn't become a star in the NFL for some reason.

Given that he is already married and a dad, I can understand and even support his decision to put family first. I'd like to think I'd still feel that way if he was still a Gator but I am self aware enough about my Gator obsession to know that it's hard to say how I'd really react in that situation. But, since I am not a WVU fan, I am willing at this point to respect his right to make the decisions he thinks best for his family and just be happy for him. I will also be pulling for him as he makes his attempt to be a player at the next level just like I did for Brisett who was another one our many QB might-have-beens.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I can see both sides of this. Grier was given an opportunity by WVU to play so I can see the side that says he should suit up and play. As a college football fan who doesn't watch the NFL I want to see players like Grier play. What makes this not clear cut is that the most bowl games are meaningless. It's just an extra game at a neutral site. And then factor in the big gap between what they pay you to play college ball and what you can get from an NFL contract and then you have the situation where potential NFL draftees don't want to risk getting hurt. It's where we are.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I can see both sides of this. Grier was given an opportunity by WVU to play so I can see the side that says he should suit up and play. As a college football fan who doesn't watch the NFL I want to see players like Grier play. What makes this not clear cut is that the most bowl games are meaningless. It's just an extra game at a neutral site. And then factor in the big gap between what they pay you to play college ball and what you can get from an NFL contract and then you have the situation where potential NFL draftees don't want to risk getting hurt. It's where we are.

Why didn't he skip the final game of the season in fear of being hurt?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb