Current trend: Grier will skip bowl game, focus on draft

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I think you play in the bowl or pay back 1/3 your Scholarship money.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think you play in the bowl or pay back 1/3 your Scholarship money.
I don't know what repercussions and by type, are and aren't appropriate but it seems that some type of fiduciary obligation should be in order. If we are going to let the players treat the games and the team like business and nothing more, then they need to be handled like coaches who are strictly handled like business. And despite popular belief, a coach under contract can't simply walk to a better job in the middle of a contract with no penalty.

I'd be less vested in this if it wasn't state tax dollars paying for these kids schollies, but as it is, and as a significant amount of them never even get the degrees we're ultimately fronting the bill for, the least they can do is hold up their end of the sports bargain. Most of us have long since realized that's all we're truly paying them for anyway. Now they can even snub their nose at that when they see fit? If they aren't gonna get the degree, and aren't gonna play in the games they are eligible and capable to play in, why exactly are our tax dollars paying for?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
From a business standpoint why can't the Bowl Association sue Grier for some violation of contract. Tickets get sold based on the performance of stars. Suppose in bygone days, Destiny's Child was booked for a concert, but Beyonce decided not to perform for the paying customers ?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:exactly:

this has been my point all along, when does it end? when is it "too much", who decides what is too much, and how is too much enforced? its not, wont, and cant be. why even play the game?

They were still playing for something then. Coaches sometimes leave before bowl games to better their situation why shouldn’t a player be able to?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Chances of that happening are about the same as Will
hiring Jim "Old Yeller" McElwain as his agent.
I was being facetious. I probably need to stop. Some people here are taking me entirely too serious when I'm only trolling for laughs.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
that's not what I said. It's usually me first in all biz, but the problem here is while it's me first biz for the coaches and schools, its not me first without repercussions for failure to abide by an agreed upon employment contract. When it comes to players its me first with no repercussions, even though everyone already admits it's a biz for them with payment just like everyone else.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
And I disagree. Coaches aren't afforded that. What that compares to is an employee no longer showing up and so no longer getting a check from that point forward. That's not what happens for coaches. There's some level of payback that occurs bc of how the ramifications of their decision affects everyone else on the team. If we're going to compare the players situation to the coaches and use the ability for a coach to leave as a justification for the players to do so, then let's complete the comparison by having them face the same consequences. Instead of a buyout, they can pay back some scholarship money that the tax payers forked out for them to do what they agreed to do but didn't.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I get it. You dont wanna get injured, but this stuff ticks me off. Show some loyalty to your teammates, fans, and school. Especially Grier who was rescued by WVU.

I guess no free camping stuff for Will...

Yeah, that sums up my feelings on the matter.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
That would stink big time. T keep this from happening in the playoffs, schools and/or the NCAA are probably going to have to provide some guarantees to players that payoff in the event of injury.

The top guys already have insurance policies.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Mixed feelings. I get the kid’s decision.

It’s a violent game, one play can change his career.

Maybe the bowls that make all the money should start paying for a big insurance policy for any projected draft pick if they play in the game. Helps their ratings, and puts some of the responsibility on the fat cats making money off the students.

not a bad idea

The top guys already have insurance policies before the season even begins and it’s not an insignificant amount.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
So bowl season is meaningless with four teams after all. Let's go eight teams and at least make the end of the season tournament more entertaining. Not to mention fewer guys taking games off to prep for the NFL.

Fcvk that...let’s go back to 1vs. 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator