Cutting the cord?

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, Hobby and Computer Tech' started by Zambo, Aug 6, 2017.

1. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
    $41
    Ratings:
    +38 / -385
    All have a 3, 7 or occasionally 14 days free trial so give them all a shot and see what you think.

2. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,852
    Ratings:
    +20,777 / -518
    So going purely based on channels, it looks like Hulu TV and adding the Entertainment Package might be best bet for us after discussing it with the wife.

Who has used Hulu TV and what are the thoughts?

We get regular HULU free because of our phone plan, and It seems to stream just fine, no buffer, etc., but that also isn't live tv.

What do I need to know about hulu tv?

3. grengadgy

grengadgy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $430
    Ratings:
    +2,547 / -191
    I had no problem with regular Hulu but for some reason Hulu Live TV was a different animal with way too much buffering . I tried their free trial for a day or two and I cancelled. I had Googled it and everyone was having the same problem regardless internet speed. It probably was a start-up problem and is fixed now.

4. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,852
    Ratings:
    +20,777 / -518
    How long ago was that?

5. grengadgy

grengadgy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $430
    Ratings:
    +2,547 / -191
    When they 1st started, I think that reported it on here.

6. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
    $41
    Ratings:
    +38 / -385
    You can pick by price and channel selection from all the services if DVR limits aren't that important to you. I am learning that most programming can be found On Demand which would lessen the need for a traditional DVR.

7. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,852
    Ratings:
    +20,777 / -518
    Yup we wouldn't need the DVR, and don't think we would need more than 2 streams at any given time.

I wonder if anyone knows if watching traditional Hulu counts as a stream on the account, or if the 2 stream regular limit is on Live tv only

8. shabadoo25

shabadoo25 Active Member

Oxbucks:
    $41
    Ratings:
    +38 / -385
    I wouldn't think it would count as a stream.

If you don't need DVR, have you considered getting an HD antenna and maybe skipping any kind of cable entirely?
    If not, what channels are crucial to you that you want to keep?

9. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,852
    Ratings:
    +20,777 / -518
    I have one.
    And there are a number of channels I and wifey want.
    HULU tv seems to cover it and then some.

Don't get me wrong, we will save shows to watch, but we typically watch them same week, so 50 hrs included is typically more than enough

10. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,852
    Ratings:
    +20,777 / -518
  11. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,852
    Ratings:
    +20,777 / -518
    Sounds like YouTubeTV will stream on the PS4.

After doing some research though, we are likely going with HULU Live TV when PS Vue ends, just based on the channels we want.
    We would have to add Philo to YouTubeTV to get what we want.

I found an interesting site that helps determine which service or combination of services you could use to get what you want.

www.suppose.tv

12. Treebeard

Treebeard Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $12,366
    Ratings:
    +15,453 / -60
    Thanks URG, and everyone else! Appreciate all the discussion. I have been looking through this and the other threads on the subject in preparation to making the "cut." Lots of useful info, and that link above is pretty interesting after just a couple of tests.

One other source I found for some good comparisons is Clark Howard: Best Live TV Streaming Services: Compare Our Top Picks for January 2020 - Clark Howard A number of different pages, including some nice channel charts that are easy to search. His choice was YouTube TV.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing!:pumper::swampqueen:

13. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $63,603
    Ratings:
    +95,522 / -6,506
    Still thinking about it. Should have pulled the trigger long ago but youtube is a no go for me bc of their censuring, hiding, and demonetizing any even slightly conservative channel.

14. flg8rfan

flg8rfan Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $395
    Ratings:
    +418 / -5
    Long time Dish subscriber, hated Cox cable. Mad the cutover to a fire stick and Hulu a couple of months ago.

I loved dish and their customer support was top notch, but after not having HBO and Cinemax for over a year, I figured I’d look into other options. The only thing we lost was Hallmark channel, but my wife has said she doesn’t miss it. Went from $220/mo to Hulu with all the options $130. Could I save more, definitely, but I like having everything ;-)

• LagoonGator68

LagoonGator68 mostly peaceful protester
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,354
      Ratings:
      +4,947 / -226
      It would be nice if you peeps would tell us how you get internet, what speed, Gig limit if any, and cost per month....just sayin....

• URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,852
      Ratings:
      +20,777 / -518
      Most of us have already discussed it.

Or you could...you know......just fcking ask

:scoff:

I kept Spectrum for internet.
      Have the 100 mbps level which is their starting level. I use Netgear Orbi system that @Detroitgator recommended a while back and I love it.
      I get wired speeds....wirelessly.
      Regularly get 117 mbps wirelessly.
      gigs are unlimited.
      $69.99 a month for internet.
      Will probably be close to the same amount after taxes for Hulu Live with the Entertainment add on.
      So just under $140/month which is well under the $200+ I would have been paying for cable and internet.

This affords me the ability to then get Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney+ and still save money.

I think eventually even these streaming services will die out, as they will become just like cable companies.

What I think we will then see (and are already seeing) is a shift to streaming devices providing your guide and gathering all your streaming services info and presenting it to you as a regular guide. Amazon Fire products do it, and I believe some others do too.

From there, we may start to see more true a la carte type options as all these networks just start streaming their own content and your streaming device organizes them to something we are more used to seeing with the guide, which will could then end up killing these streaming live tv services, unless they have their own quality content.

• flg8rfan

flg8rfan Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $395
      Ratings:
      +418 / -5
      Sorry;-). Hate cox cable but do use their internet.

Gig service, 1TB per cycle download. I have 4 TVs and two teenagers so between Hulu, computer use, and everyone on their phones, I hit close to 900gb each cycle(plus I work from home in IT). I am debating throttling down the four 4K firesticks to slower speeds (I’ve heard it helps bandwidth use with no noticeable loss on tv quality). If quality drops, then I’ll just add unlimited to the plan (I switched to Cox 2 months after the introduced the 1TB cap)

And yes, if I’m wired to the router, I’m hitting gig download speed, 5Ghz wireless around 300Mbps, 2.4Ghz is ~100 or so. No complaints there. Upload is pretty consistent around 50Mbps no matter how I connect.

I think Cox is $140 for internet and Hulu, Netflix, and Disney+ is $160 total. Yes, I could drop a lot of channels and save money but I like options.

• LagoonGator68

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,354
      Ratings:
      +4,947 / -226

Thank you for the important information.

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $5,916
      Ratings:
      +9,976 / -292
      WOW get 200Mbs for $45 a month

• Like Like x 1
      • Stoned Stoned x 1
      • List
      • LagoonGator68

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,354
        Ratings:
        +4,947 / -226
        Hell of a deal...any taxes....internet only?