Dan Mullen @ Florida...So Far....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What percentage of existing or recent coaches could reach 10 wins?

is it 95% which you seem to indicate, or something less like 75%?

My prediction and my recollection the consensus this year would be 9 and some of these as ugly or tight wins.

This is a decent season. Not spectacular nor horrible.

With the passing id say more exciting than I expected.
You are really looking for an argument... have fun.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What percentage of existing or recent coaches could reach 10 wins?

is it 95% which you seem to indicate, or something less like 75%?

My prediction and my recollection the consensus this year would be 9 and some of these as ugly or tight wins.

This is a decent season. Not spectacular nor horrible.

With the passing id say more exciting than I expected.

:bob:
I'm running the stats now and may have something up in the next two weeks.
All your questions will be answered. ;-)

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Spurrier lost 27 games at Florida, including 5 bowls. That’s just short of 2 regular season losses a year or just short of 2.5 losses total. That’s the gold standard and was played in a weaker SEC with a stronger FSU. Spurrier is also a hall of fame coach. If Mullen can stay at 2 or less regular season losses, he’d be right in line with one of the best. He’s not far off now. Just doesn’t look as pretty.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier lost 27 games at Florida, including 5 bowls. That’s just short of 2 regular season losses a year or just short of 2.5 losses total. That’s the gold standard and was played in a weaker SEC with a stronger FSU. Spurrier is also a hall of fame coach. If Mullen can stay at 2 or less regular season losses, he’d be right in line with one of the best. He’s not far off now. Just doesn’t look as pretty.
:wtf:

If Mullen only lost 2 games every year for 10 years and didn't win one title, his tenure would be a miserable failure. Miserable. Even worse than Richt, who at least backed in to a couple of SEC championships.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
His average losses per year isnt even half as important as his yearly signature wins (to rivals and ranked teams), and his number of SEC championships. No one would really care about 2 losses if he was winning titles and winning the big games against ranked competition.

No one brings up spurrier and says, "yep, HOF coach, only 2 losses per year" or "Yep, the GOAT, avg 10 wins a season!" When SOS' name comes up they talk about titles, conference and national. THAT puts you in line with the best.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
His average losses per year isnt even half as important as his yearly signature wins (to rivals and ranked teams), and his number of SEC championships. No one would really care about 2 losses if he was winning titles and winning the big games against ranked competition.

No one brings up spurrier and says, "yep, HOF coach, only 2 losses per year" or "Yep, the GOAT, avg 10 wins a season!" When SOS' name comes up they talk about titles, conference and national. THAT puts you in line with the best.
Yup.

Seabee seemed to be coming around, then had a huge setback with that embarrassing post. Perhaps he missed his meds.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

You’re right, what was his record against FSU - the primary rival at the time?

Point being, Spurrier was amazing but fortunate - Bama wasn’t consistently good, UGA sucked, UT was up and down, and there was no one else (Auburn was a thorn in the side but we’re not competing for anything). If FSU was an SEC team, UF wins half, if that, the number of SEC titles. Fortunately, Booby convinced the school that they were a basketball school.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You’re right, what was his record against FSU - the primary rival at the time?

Point being, Spurrier was amazing but fortunate - Bama wasn’t consistently good, UGA sucked, UT was up and down, and there was no one else (Auburn was a thorn in the side but we’re not competing for anything). If FSU was an SEC team, UF wins half, if that, the number of SEC titles. Fortunately, Booby convinced the school that they were a basketball school.
if my aunt had balls, shed be my uncle. tell me more about all those SEC crowns we lost because spurrier was under .500 against fsu.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
if my aunt had balls, shed be my uncle. tell me more about all those SEC crowns we lost because spurrier was under .500 against fsu.
Nowadays, that’s a real possibility.

That’s not my point and you know it. Point is, Spurrier was fortunate that UGA and FSU weren’t swapped. He struggled against one and dominated the other. Never got any real pushback from the west and Tennessee was the only competitive east team. He was an amazing coach who came in at that right time - hence “fortunate”. Today’s landscape is decidedly different and winning the sec is much more difficult. You’re lying to yourself if you see it any different.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

That’s not my point and you know it. Point is, Spurrier was fortunate that UGA and FSU weren’t swapped. He struggled against one and dominated the other. Never got any real pushback from the west and Tennessee was the only competitive east team. He was an amazing coach who came in at that right time - hence “fortunate”. You’re lying to yourself if you see it any different.
You act like FSU was some crap school instead of a freaking top 3 powerhouse, year in, year out. A .500 record against that school at that time isn't something to be ashamed of.

Besides, in the biggest game ever between the two schools, we won 52-20.

Would you like to trash Spurrier some more? It wasn't just about wins and losses, the man changed college football. Mullen cant even change his underwear without assistance.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

That’s not my point and you know it. Point is, Spurrier was fortunate that UGA and FSU weren’t swapped. He struggled against one and dominated the other. Never got any real pushback from the west and Tennessee was the only competitive east team. He was an amazing coach who came in at that right time - hence “fortunate”. Today’s landscape is decidedly different and winning the sec is much more difficult. You’re lying to yourself if you see it any different.
It was absolutely your point. If it isnt then i think all of us are at a loss for what it is. but then again, your point in the other thread is jsut as elusive so...

your point is that number of losses is some determinant in legacy. I disagree and stated what the actual determinant is. you then started recreating the college football landscape to paint a fictitious scenario where spurrier wouldnt win titles he absolutely won. im not sure why you stopped at fsu though, might as well thow ohio state, southern cal, oklahoma, texas and nebraska in the SEC as well. Just to prove your point.

:facepalm:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
You act like FSU was some crap school instead of a freaking top 3 powerhouse, year in, year out. A .500 record against that school at that time isn't something to be ashamed of.

Besides, in the biggest game ever between the two schools, we won 52-20.

Would you like to trash Spurrier some more? It wasn't just about wins and losses, the man changed college football. Mullen cant even change his underwear without assistance.
Ox, relax. I’m pointing out reality. And UGA is currently a top 3 powerhouse, year in and year out. Unfortunately, they’re in our division and that’s something spurrier didn’t have to deal with.

Totally agree about spurrier changing football. I’m sure Crete hates him for it. Moved the needle to a passing offense. And Mullen hasn’t had that influence and likely won’t. But acknowledging the fortunate timing is relevant to the discussion.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It was absolutely your point. If it isnt then i think all of us are at a loss for what it is. but then again, your point in the other thread is jsut as elusive so...

your point is that number of losses is some determinant in legacy. I disagree and stated what the actual determinant is. you then started recreating the college football landscape to paint a fictitious scenario where spurrier wouldnt win titles he absolutely won. im not sure why you stopped at fsu though, might as well thow ohio state, southern cal, oklahoma, texas and nebraska in the SEC as well. Just to prove your point.

:facepalm:
Jesus dude, you’re really dense. My point is crystal clear. Spurrier is a HOF coach that benefitted from fortunate timing. The great ones seize that opportunity and exploit it. His average losses is only important in that it’s how this discussion started - 10 wins is the new 9 wins but the losses remain the same (go back and read what I responded to). If Mullen can move his average losses towards what Spurrier accomplished, he’ll start competing for some championships. Unlike Spurrier, he won’t have the benefit of an easier SEC but tougher OOC. Those are just facts.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Do you know what those 90's FSU teams would do with UGA these days? They would have to enact the mercy rule.
Ah yes, the “everything was better back in the day” argument. It’s possible but who’s to say they get past the 00s Bama teams? You know, some of the statistically greatest defenses of all time? Would need to go through them to win the SEC as well.

I’m gonna bow out of this conversation though. Not going anywhere and it’s clear you guys have glamorized the 90s to the point that a rational discussion can’t be had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.