Dan Mullen @ Florida...So Far....

Dekle

Nov 27, 2017
Well forgive me for thinking your point of the argument is kind of moot. The only thing that matters is the state of the game today, when Mullen is the HBC. SOS did what he did because he had an easier path to the championships you covet so highly. Mullen has a tougher slate to get there, so by your standards, Mullen has to be a better coach than SOS to ever reach HOF status. That's not exactly a fair comparison, is it?
Could not disagree more. Look here, 1996 Football Schedule - Florida Gators and here https://floridagators.com/sports/football/schedule/1995 and tell me that the Gators had an easier path. No way. Difference was that the Gators were lighting up scoreboards AND had a dang good defense. No way that is an easier path. And by the way, when the season was over that year, Gators and the #1 SOS. JS.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The road ahead always seems more difficult when you’re undersized and outmatched.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Could not disagree more. Look here, 1996 Football Schedule - Florida Gators and here https://floridagators.com/sports/football/schedule/1995 and tell me that the Gators had an easier path. No way. Difference was that the Gators were lighting up scoreboards AND had a dang good defense. No way that is an easier path. And by the way, when the season was over that year, Gators and the #1 SOS. JS.
I agree, other than LSU, there isnt a team on the schedule this year that spurrier wouldnt have whipped with one of his championship teams. The LSU game would be a tossup but it doesnt really matter if we lost because we'd still be in ATL with another shot at them if they also made it. Dwags? Spurrier would have beaten them by at least 20 points, everyone else by 30+. Our offense was infinitely better, and so was our defense under spurrier championship years. If mullen gets to that level of O and D, he will be doing the same thing, but there's nothing so far to indicate he will.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, other than LSU, there isnt a team on the schedule this year that spurrier wouldnt have whipped with one of his championship teams. The LSU game would be a tossup but it doesnt really matter if we lost because we'd still be in ATL with another shot at them if they also made it. Dwags? Spurrier would have beaten them by at least 20 points, everyone else by 30+. Our offense was infinitely better, and so was our defense under spurrier championship years. If mullen gets to that level of O and D, he will be doing the same thing, but there's nothing so far to indicate he will.

95, 96, or 01 UF would pound LSU this year. Trask threw all over their **** defense just imagine what Danny and Rex would have done. We like to think we have a talented WR corps right now but that’s because we have been so awful there. I like our guys but not one of them could start on either of those teams. Except maybe Van could be a 3rd on the 01 team instead of Jacobs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coaches in my area. So you’d that them as well as Dan. God to know.

I heard there was a shortage of Captain Morgan’s in the states.

Dude, step away from the pill bottle, because obviously you are mixing pills with alcohol... and it is apparent you aren't putting down the bottle. An average coach should be able to get 9/10 wins with our schedule and talent. It takes better than average coaching to rise above that, just like it takes truly special talent (at being awful) to only win 4 games.

Everyone is getting this concept then you..... You keep trying to make this an argument it isn't, to fulfil some need. Go to local massage parlor ask for the short one, and URG will take care that need for you.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
95, 96, or 01 UF would pound LSU this year. Trask threw all over their **** defense just imagine what Danny and Rex would have done. We like to think we have a talented WR corps right now but that’s because we have been so awful there. I like our guys but not one of them could start on either of those teams. Except maybe Van could be a 3rd on the 01 team instead of Jacobs.
Yep. I just dont buy that the league and schedule is way harder now than then. I actually believe the opposite. The SEC is not balanced and tough top to bottom anymore at all. That used to be its national calling card. There are 2-3 very good teams each year and a whole bucket full of complete crap. How many .500 or below teams were in the SEC in the 90s? I havent looked and am going off memory, but I dont think there were many. Here's the list of teams .500 or below so far, just in our division:

commode-doors
misery
KY jelly
buttchug
cock gobblers

2 of them may finish at 6-5. Woof. Basically our division is us and dwags. A team that despite their talent has been meh on offense every year under smart. A team that spurrier would routinely whip imo. I would give some credence to the notion that the SEC title game is a much harder game now than then as bama with saban is a real tough out for anyone year in and year out, but we cant even get to the game. I dont see how a division with five .500 or worse teams and jawja is tougher than what spurrier dealt with. Winning the crown is probably more difficult because of bama today, but thats just a 1 game issue. The division is as pathetic as Ive ever seen it.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. I just dont buy that the league and schedule is way harder now than then. I actually believe the opposite. The SEC is not balanced and tough top to bottom anymore at all. That used to be its national calling card. There are 2-3 very good teams each year and a whole bucket full of complete crap. How many .500 or below teams were in the SEC in the 90s? I havent looked and am going off memory, but I dont think there were many. Here's the list of teams .500 or below so far, just in our division:

commode-doors
misery
KY jelly
buttchug
cock gobblers

2 of them may finish at 6-5. Woof. Basically our division is us and dwags. A team that despite their talent has been meh on offense every year under smart. A team that spurrier would routinely whip imo. I would give some credence to the notion that the SEC title game is a much harder game now than then as bama with saban is a real tough out for anyone year in and year out, but we cant even get to the game. I dont see how a division with five .500 or worse teams and jawja is tougher than what spurrier dealt with. Winning the crown is probably more difficult because of bama today, but thats just a 1 game issue. The division is as pathetic as Ive ever seen it.

Memory is fading for me for those years but it seemed easier at the time because we were so much better than everyone else. It was basically UF and tenn in the east and the West was a dumpster fire for most of the 90s. If I had to put my finger on it I’d say the bottom teams in the SEC are tougher now than they were and the best teams are worse than they were then.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The SEC has never been more atrocious than it is today. 5 of the 7 SEC East teams are basically USA/American teams and Arky may take six year to.recober from their fat lazy McElpig.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

commode-doors
misery
KY jelly
buttchug
cock gobblers

The league is more balanced now and it is producing more championship level teams than it did during the 90s. That's just stats. The one difference was that the powers were down. So while yeah, VU, Uk, Usce, etc are basically .500, that's their zone and always has been. When teams like Alabama, Lsu and even Aub a few times are down, it's odd. And they all had a few bad years during Spurrier's time.

But that's not to say the schedule is harder today than it was then. I'm certainly not in that camp. Someone referenced '96 above, and yes, that was a very tough schedule. If I remember correctly even our opener Gsu was a really good team. So no disputing that. The difficulty is the same, which is why 11 wins(the old 10) is a really good season, but nothing spectacular. The issue, and difference, was our biggest hurdles were usually 1 SEC team, and then fsu. So we could drop a game somewhere, lose to the noles, but still win a championship. We can't do that now because that hurdle is in our division. So a year like '93, one of my favorites growing up, wouldn't happen today. Because instead of losing our toughest 2 matchups(a road game to Aub and home game to fsu), but still having a chance to win the conference, we'd be eliminated from contention(like this year), because the toughest two challenges are within the SEC. That's all I'm saying with regards to "winning something". It's a different playing field because of who is our thorn, not that there are more of them.

Also, to the point about '95 and '96 being great teams that would crush this uga and lsu team, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But that was also Spurrier's 5th and 6th year. We're in year 2 of Mullen. Now, I can agree that you may not see anything yet that tells you we'll reach that level. That's your view. But it doesn't say definitively we won't. we just have to wait and see. But if we're winning 10-11 games along the way, it's not an awful scenario to watch play out, imo.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The league is more balanced now and it is producing more championship level teams than it did during the 90s. That's just stats. The one difference was that the powers were down. So while yeah, VU, Uk, Usce, etc are basically .500, that's their zone and always has been. When teams like Alabama, Lsu and even Aub a few times are down, it's odd. And they all had a few bad years during Spurrier's time.

But that's not to say the schedule is harder today than it was then. I'm certainly not in that camp. Someone referenced '96 above, and yes, that was a very tough schedule. If I remember correctly even our opener Gsu was a really good team. So no disputing that. The difficulty is the same, which is why 11 wins(the old 10) is a really good season, but nothing spectacular. The issue, and difference, was our biggest hurdles were usually 1 SEC team, and then fsu. So we could drop a game somewhere, lose to the noles, but still win a championship. We can't do that now because that hurdle is in our division. So a year like '93, one of my favorites growing up, wouldn't happen today. Because instead of losing our toughest 2 matchups(a road game to Aub and home game to fsu), but still having a chance to win the conference, we'd be eliminated from contention(like this year), because the toughest two challenges are within the SEC. That's all I'm saying with regards to "winning something". It's a different playing field because of who is our thorn, not that there are more of them.

Also, to the point about '95 and '96 being great teams that would crush this uga and lsu team, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But that was also Spurrier's 5th and 6th year. We're in year 2 of Mullen. Now, I can agree that you may not see anything yet that tells you we'll reach that level. That's your view. But it doesn't say definitively we won't. we just have to wait and see. But if we're winning 10-11 games along the way, it's not an awful scenario to watch play out, imo.
That was a pretty fair analysis, cant disagree with it (dammit). im surprised swonks gave you a stoned... wait, no im not :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The SEC has never been more atrocious than it is today. 5 of the 7 SEC East teams are basically USA/American teams and Arky may take six year to.recober from their fat lazy McElpig.

There is some bottoming out at places like Arkansas. And it will be a long rebuild. The problem with that argument, however, is that from '90 to '95, it was traditional power Lsu chalking up paltry records like 2-9, 4-7, 5-6.(28-38 over 6 seasons). Add in Alabama winning 4 games in '97, 7 games in '98, 3 games in '00 and 7 in 2001, and you get the picture. There's a reason why teams like Ms State and Arkansas were winning the SECW in years like '95, '98 and '02. The West was garbage. The dogs were garbage. Ut was hit and miss but largely really good, and there were a few other teams that had moments. No one respects Mizzou because they came out of the East in back to back years. The powers have the ability to be great. The Arkansa's of the world can have a good year but are never a real threat for anything bigger.

But to put it into perspective, we are very likely looking at the 2nd time in 6 years that 2 SEC teams will be in the playoffs(like it or not, and I agree with you on that), and not once has the conference been left out. If you applied the playoff format to the 12 years of 1990-2001, and used the AP poll as a general guide, it's likely that 6 times the SEC would have had 1 representative('91,92,96,97,98,01), once it would have 2 teams('95 Uf and ut) and 5 times there would have been no SEC team in the playoff('90, 93, 94, 99, 00). If you think there's even a slight chance the SEC gets left out of a 4 team playoff more tan once over the next 10 years, I'd say you're hammered again and need to sleep it off. The conference is stronger in that the traditional powers that can do a lot when they're on are playing well. That's not debatable. It's math.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But to put it into perspective, we are very likely looking at the 2nd time in 6 years that 2 SEC teams will be in the playoffs(like it or not, and I agree with you on that), and not once has the conference been left out. If you applied the playoff format to the 12 years of 1990-2001, and used the AP poll as a general guide, it's likely that 6 times the SEC would have had 1 representative('91,92,96,97,98,01), once it would have 2 teams('95 Uf and ut) and 5 times there would have been no SEC team in the playoff('90, 93, 94, 99, 00). If you think there's even a slight chance the SEC gets left out of a 4 team playoff more tan once over the next 10 years, I'd say you're hammered again and need to sleep it off. The conference is stronger in that the traditional powers that can do a lot when they're on are playing well. That's not debatable. It's math.
source.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.