Dan Mullen has built Florida into an offensive power, but not yet a complete program

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
it's also funny that some of you guys think we almost won and we're nearly as good as Alabama because they took the 1.5 quarters off and just ran the clock.

It is really a sign of total disrespect.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I'M not looking at the big picture? RECRUITING is the big picture. You should take a closer look at that.

Process vs. End Result. Do you see a bunch of trees or the forest? The article was well written but it should not have taken 3 years or a champ game to be written. These same things have been going on with Cousin Eddie his entire career. But I congratulate the author for helping it get to those who are stats and end result people.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
So Bama is bigger, stronger (Savage haha), better coached and better recruiting,
Grantham sux arse
Mullen is a spaz and out nerds himself thinking. Thank goodness we won’t have to pass next year..

Should sum it up

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Are you calling 50-60th (like Franks and 9 out of Mullens last 12 years) quality?

So you think 10-2 and 11-1 seasons are gimmies? We have the worst record this year of all 3 years and made it to the SECCG. Mullen isn't God's gift to coaching but he's pretty damn good as the W-L record shows.

Maybe you liked 4-8?

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Looking at the box score, it is surprising that we were within six. Passing was pretty equal. Alabama had 3X our rushing yards. They had 9 more first down, ran 17 more offensive plays, and led time of possession by almost 9 minutes. I was shocked that we had a better 3rd down completion rate and fewer penalties and penalty yards. Our penalties kept Alabama on the field while theirs kept us from scoring.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Matt Viator.

But you're missing the point, as always. Mullen is not a championship coach, we have more than enough tape on him for well over a decade to know this. It's not like he's a newbie up there with still plenty to learn - he is who he is.

We've gone as far as we're going to go. Could someone else be worse? Absolutely.

I just have to point out that Nick Saban didn't win a national Championship until his 10th year as a head coach.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
So Bama is bigger, stronger (Savage haha), better coached and better recruiting,
Grantham sux arse
Mullen is a spaz and out nerds himself thinking. Thank goodness we won’t have to pass next year..

Should sum it up
Nothing helps recruiting like winning (and a real good bag man). Alabama is going to be hard to out recruit until Saban hangs it up or looses his marbles.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Nothing helps recruiting like winning (and a real good bag man). Alabama is going to be hard to out recruit until Saban hangs it up or looses his marbles.

We don't have "bag men"? Please don't tell me this is a "everyone cheats but us" post.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
So you think 10-2 and 11-1 seasons are gimmies? We have the worst record this year of all 3 years and made it to the SECCG. Mullen isn't God's gift to coaching but he's pretty damn good as the W-L record shows.

Maybe you liked 4-8?
The most frustrating and hopeful thing about this year is that we lost all three games. It wasn't that we were beaten and could not compete. We controlled our own destiny.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
it's also funny that some of you guys think we almost won and we're nearly as good as Alabama because they took the 1.5 quarters off and just ran the clock.

It is really a sign of total disrespect.

Why would you need to air it out when Florida was wholly incapable of stopping the run, and esp Najee? Sark’s decisions were practical. Running Najee served two useful purposes. It led to gobs of yards on the ground and it kept Florida’s offense off the field.

Saban had nothing but respect for Florida, Pitts and esp Toney after the game, going so far as to question why the CFP would insert OSU ahead of Florida based on how Florida battled his team down to the wire.

Florida has lots to address in the offseason but it garnered respect for how it clawed back into the game in the second half.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was talking more about the future than just this season. To me, the nuts and bolts of our future comes down to the fact that we aren't recruiting with the other top schools. There's only so much coaches can do when the other team has twice the talent and depth.

Also, do you really trust Mullen to coach a team to a championship? He's still making mistakes even the rookies coaches don't make. We all know he's going to get fired within a few years - might as well make it now and lock up Matt Viator.

Again, tough to argue that when we just went toe to toe with a 2* QB throwing TD's to a 3* athlete and a 5* transfer. No one is saying we don't need to improve in recruiting. I've called for a dismissal of at least 3 coaches on one side of the ball. So don't misconstrue this as, as BMF would say, whistling pass the graveyard. I'm not. Where I don't agree with some of the sentiment here is that we're light years away. I think we're recruiting well(not s**t as some characterize it), but just not well enough. But we beat uga with superior talent, and held our own with Alabama who is even better. So I think from a macro standpoint, we are still trending the right direction. Does it mean he's the guy? No, not necessarily. But I can be critical and optimistic at the same time.

As for the mistakes he made Saturday, I've said several times that the moment was obviously too big for him. It was his first championship setting and it showed. But generally speaking, I haven't seen a ton of mental mistakes from him this season. No more than any other coach. And as for the question on championships, the jury is still out to me. The biggest mistake he made is staying at MSu way past the point he should've left. If Foley isn't an abrasive jerk, and we get Mullen in 2014 instead of JM, who knows if we could've been having this conversation after a close loss in Atl in '15 or '16. I'm not judging the guy for what he was able to do, or unable to do in Starkville, and more than I'm judging Spurrier for what his time in Columbia. You're not winning a title at either. So this was his third legit opportunity to win a ring in my view. We didn't. Maybe we do going forward, maybe we don't.

Also, I have no idea who this Matt Viator is. But I looked up his record and I can tell you with absolute certainty that I could've done the same job as he did this season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Why would you need to air it out when Florida was wholly incapable of stopping the run, and esp Najee? Sark’s decisions were practical. Running Najee served two useful purposes. It led to gobs of yards on the ground and it kept Florida’s offense off the field.

Saban had nothing but respect for Florida, Pitts and esp Toney after the game, going so far as to question why the CFP would insert OSU ahead of Florida based on how Florida battled his team down to the wire.

Florida has lots to address in the offseason but it garnered respect for how it clawed back into the game in the second half.
Honestly I thought Bama's play calling was also pretty silly. They should have run the ball faaar more than they did, as UF had no answer. I think Bama could have held the ball and kept Trask and Pitts off the field for about 50 minutes of that game if they had simply handed off every down.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So you think 10-2 and 11-1 seasons are gimmies?
Who had an 11-1 season? (I guess that means REGULAR season.) Chimp?

it's a little early to be drinking.

I don't remember Dorky Dan going 10- 2 either. I think 9- 3 and 8- 3 are his best years, but that's off the top of my head maybe I'm wrong.

You know we are going down hill when the pumpers/losers start shaving off losses.

CHIMP WAS 11-1*!!!!!! (except for the bowl loss)

BUTTERS WAS 10-2****!!!!! (if you count the hurricane game as a win and dont count the SECG or bowl losses)

DORKY DAN is 11-1 apparently. I don't know quite how to get to that math yet but I'm sure someone will tell me soon.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Matt Viator.

But you're missing the point, as always. Mullen is not a championship coach, we have more than enough tape on him for well over a decade to know this. It's not like he's a newbie up there with still plenty to learn - he is who he is.

We've gone as far as we're going to go. Could someone else be worse? Absolutely.

....yepper....

“I also want to thank Matt and his wife Schantel for the significant impact they both had in our local and campus communities."

In five seasons at ULM, Viator produced a 19-39 record and 15-24 mark against Sun Belt Conference competition.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.