Dan Mullen is one lucky SOB

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Charts, odds, percentages, etc. All I know is what we actually did was win the game. We won. We know we did. What I don’t know is if we kicked the xtra point would we have won. Maybe they then run the kickoff back for a score. Maybe Trask goes down next possession. Nobody knows what would have happened. But we know what DID happen so I am 100% in favor of how it played out.

Now I hope the staff is having there own discussion on how they should handle a similar situation in the future.

It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if they know exactly how they would/should handle the scenario but DM simply played a hunch. He wouldn’t be the first coach to do so. Took a gamble against the grain based on what he saw and felt at the time.
Don't crush our smokes Gunny, we're just killing time until Saturday.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Charts, odds, percentages, etc. All I know is what we actually did was win the game. We won. We know we did. What I don’t know is if we kicked the xtra point would we have won. Maybe they then run the kickoff back for a score. Maybe Trask goes down next possession. Nobody knows what would have happened. But we know what DID happen so I am 100% in favor of how it played out.

. . .

but DM simply played a hunch.

Lots of words for the first part - “just trust the coaches” combined with an “I wish there wasn’t math” tone.

Your second part is the exact opposite of what happened though. It was not a “hunch” at all. That is the point of the discussion - regardless of which said you think is better (right doesn’t actually apply) - it is calculated or miscalculated. Not gut, hunch, feel, stomach bug, or bad oysters.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Lots of words for the first part - “just trust the coaches” combined with an “I wish there wasn’t math” tone.

Your second part is the exact opposite of what happened though. It was not a “hunch” at all. That is the point of the discussion - regardless of which said you think is better (right doesn’t actually apply) - it is calculated or miscalculated. Not gut, hunch, feel, stomach bug, or bad oysters.

Not a hint of “trust the coaches” or wishing there was no math. Never even crossed my mind. In fact I don’t make any judgement on right or wrong call. I simply said by doing what he did we know we won. Had he done something else (the right thing) we don’t know how the game would have ended. We may have done the right thing and still lost the game.

What I do say however is I would hope that decision spurs some reflection on future scenarios. For example, DM may be saying to his staff.....I blew that call. Next time I’ll kick it.

I also did not say it was a hunch. I speculated for all we know it could have been. He would not be the first to do so.

If it helps we thought he should kick at my house virtually to a person.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
If it helps we thought he should kick at my house virtually to a person.

Nope. It doesn’t help and this post contradicts your prior one, but oh well. It’s a message board. You’re allowed to do that.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dont disagree with anything but we had our share of bad luck last night as well. Injuries, targeting, missed FG's, stupid penalties. Has to be cleaned up. Both teams dealt with that last night. I just see UF's ability to not shyt the bed EVERY time they are faced with adversity.

And injuries. We lost Zuniga on his first(?) play then Franks while we were down 2 scores. The real difference in this game was turnovers. We finally snagged some and one more than they did.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I hate when we lose a game all the "what ifs" are shouted from the mountain tops and valleys.............oh wait...........never mind.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Good Gawd ... going for 2 was the right call. The play we called both times were horrendous call. If we are going to throw shade at CDM then at least be correct in why he needs noise.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good Gawd ... going for 2 was the right call. The play we called both times were horrendous call. If we are going to throw shade at CDM then at least be correct in why he needs noise.

The two point plays were bad play calls.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Clearly it wasn’t and the proof of why was witnessed by millions but ok.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Clearly it wasn’t and the proof of why was witnessed by millions but ok.

There is nothing clear about it. It is subjective yet you are playing hindsight visionary as if you are a genius. The call to go for 2 when he did isn't outside the margins of reason for that situation.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is nothing clear about it. It is subjective yet you are playing hindsight visionary as if you are a genius. The call to go for 2 when he did isn't outside the margins of reason for that situation.
Its not "hindsight" when you and everyone else is screaming "kick it" before the play ever happens because you know how unpredictable the last 13 minutes of the game can be. Tell me, in "hindsight," would we have been better off if we had kicked the 2 XPs? Of course we would. The only difference is that some of us know this beforehand and some of us don't.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Its not "hindsight" when you and everyone else is screaming "kick it" before the play ever happens because you know how unpredictable the last 13 minutes of the game can be. Tell me, in "hindsight," would we have been better off if we had kicked the 2 XPs? Of course we would. The only difference is that some of us know this beforehand and some of us don't.

In hindsight, if you change anything that we did nobody can say whether we are better off or not. Geesh ... are you this dense?

But playing your subjective game ... in hindsight, we would have been better off with different playcalls on those 2 point conversion tries.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In hindsight, if you change anything that we did nobody can say whether we are better off or not. Geesh ... are you this dense?

But playing your subjective game ... in hindsight, we would have been better off with different playcalls on those 2 point conversion tries.

Right. The coaches should only call plays that work. Man I think you’re really on to something here. Please elaborate, this is great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator