Dan Mullen is...

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Everyone but the fans, but esp the fans here, thought it was an intelligent hire. Kelly had been out of coaching awhile and Frost's resume was thin.

All Mullen did was was take a moribund Mississipppi State program in the nation's toughest division and mold it into something.

Instead, we got nine months of his record against ranked opponents shoved down our throat.

Agreed. Actually your average fan on the street was excited about Mullen. Most folks I talked to at Shands and around the clinics were happy with the hire.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
His last three years were classes in the 30's.

We probably have twice the talent. That says, Butters loses, no doubt.
Butters' classes need to be adjusted for transfers. Prolly lower than Mullen's corresponding classes when you net it out.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I agree with all the assessments on Pierce on why he probably doesn’t get more carries. I’m sure he hasn’t mastered the playbook or all his assignments yet. But at this point I would take a chance on his 10 yd per carry avg and see if he could offset his youthfulness with 100-150 yards. I think he would change the entire tone of our offense and really open up the passing game.

Look, it’s going to happen eventually. I’m just greedy. I want it now.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A joke hire, right. Okay, show me who said that and show me the basis for thinking it. There is none.

I know. We should have hired a noob with a "championship ceiling."

leogator

May 5, 2018
This obviously was a huge win, EVERYBODY had this as a loss before the season started. This was the biggest game on the schedule to those mugwhumps and we took it. We are 4-1 , lets win next week and impress on a huge recruiting weekend!
I did not have this as a loss but then I did not have Kentucky as a loss either. I had LSU and Georgia as losses and I had us ending with a 10-2 record. So the Gatos better win over the Corndogs next Saturday if they are going to live up to my prediction. ;)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A joke hire, right. Okay, show me who said that and show me the basis for thinking it. There is none.

I know. We should have hired a noob with a "championship ceiling."
You're over reacting a LOT. It's still September. Even the worst UF coaches are 5-0 or 4-1 after September.

That being said, it was a good month.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're over reacting a LOT. It's still September. Even the worst UF coaches are 5-0 or 4-1 after September.

Overreacting to what? That I feel the joke hire comment is itself a joke?

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017

Yea... not buying it. No scientific poll here, but when looking at other teams trying to hire HCs last year, the majority of their forums thought Mullen was a solid hire and wished they had hired him themselves. At worst, they thought it was an average hire. Joke hire? I call bull on that.

I don't see Champ or Butters having this record at this point in the season with this roster. Not seeing where 78 was over reacting by saying no one was thinking it was a joke hire. I think everyone is optimistic at this point given the way we looked last year. Next year expectations will be higher.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Has @ltraz shown up to tell us how bad of a DC Grantham is yet? :D

I'll own my part. I was definitely not a fan of the hire, and was railing against him as recent as 3 weeks ago. But I think the players are starting to settle in and understand the scheme. Ancrum's pick last week, and the multiple successful blitzes last night make that evident. The aggressive nature, which to Itraz's credit, was what he constantly pointed out, is definitely a welcome change from the last 3 seasons.

I also think this team needed the Uk loss. Aside from bumbling around on our first few possessions against CSU, we've played lights out since that night.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'll own my part. I was definitely not a fan of the hire, and was railing against him as recent as 3 weeks ago. But I think the players are starting to settle in and understand the scheme. Ancrum's pick last week, and the multiple successful blitzes last night make that evident. The aggressive nature, which to Itraz's credit, was what he constantly pointed out, is definitely a welcome change from the last 3 seasons.

I also think this team needed the Uk loss. Aside from bumbling around on our first few possessions against CSU, we've played lights out since that night.

Obviously the return of Reese has helped. Polite has turned into an All-American. And we've gotten lucky the CB position hasn't hurt us w/ the lack of depth (and not playing any good passing teams - yet. Missouri will be a big test and Fromm is no slouch).

My thing w/ complaining about Grantham is, who do we get otherwise? It's the same w/ head coaching candidates; there are a handful of good one's out there....and most of them have good jobs. Unless we dip into the Group of 5 ranks and grab an up and comer, or hire a Saban assistant (like when Pruitt went to FSU then UGA) who do we get? Grantham is proven, one way or the other....and keeps landing P5 jobs w/ huge pay raises. Someone in the coaching ranks thinks he knows what he's doing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Obviously the return of Reese has helped. Polite has turned into an All-American. And we've gotten lucky the CB position hasn't hurt us w/ the lack of depth (and not playing any good passing teams - yet. Missouri will be a big test and Fromm is no slouch).

My thing w/ complaining about Grantham is, who do we get otherwise? It's the same w/ head coaching candidates; there are a handful of good one's out there....and most of them have good jobs. Unless we dip into the Group of 5 ranks and grab an up and comer, or hire a Saban assistant (like when Pruitt went to FSU then UGA) who do we get? Grantham is proven, one way or the other....and keeps landing P5 jobs w/ huge pay raises. Someone in the coaching ranks thinks he knows what he's doing.

Actually, my biggest reason for optimism with the assistants, like Grantham, Gonzalez and Hevesy is the familiarity and commitment to Mullen. I think they're good coaches as well. But I don't feel like we'll be constantly searching for replacements because they've gone elsewhere.

And on the corners, I agree. Every time I see McWilliams out there, I get scared. We need Dean to continue progressing and Henderson should get the Brady treatment in practice.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
As an overly emotional fan, I hated the hire. That said, I'm seeing a team that's getting better week to week, seems to be learning from mistakes, plays as a team/unit and gives great effort. That alone is extremely encouraging. This team seems to have bought in. None of this is a big surprise. I always thought Mullen would be able to get us out of the ditch. I still have no idea if he can get us to the mountaintop. However, for the first time in years, I have a glimmer of hope and am actually looking forward to hosting a top 5 team in the Swamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator