Dana Holgerson leaves WVU to coach Houston for some reason

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Everyone knows I think Holgerson is nothing more than a glorified high school coach and a terrible head coach. Only cares about offense and not total football. Be that as it may, sure WVU is power 5, but to ever get to the top there depends on luck and lots of malcontent transfers, which is always risky. Teams like Louisville, Cincy, WVU, USF, et al. need those great players who ran amok at their original school if they ever get to the top. WVU has had a very good history in college football with Don Nehlen until now and they should be proud. Even tho Houston is not Power 5, they showed love to Holgerson which WVU was not and Tillman Fertita has MUCH deeper pockets that WVU. So on top of bigger salary, the idea of being wanted and the fact that extra perks from Fertita would far outweigh anything Holgerson could get at Coal Miner U (no offense to coal mining), it was not a surprising move.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's South Pittsburgh. Not a bad place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
More $ in Houston. More talent in Texas. Easier schedule. Makes some sense.

More health sunshine. Less slippy-sloppy danger tiring chains driving. Richer alumni, more on-board with growth for the CFB program. A better stepping stone to better HC offers, if he's a big success.?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I thought he was pulling for a raise.

Me too. If the terms of the deal are correct it is easy money. He should be running the table in the AAC each year within a couple of years. For the Houston's of the world that is money well spent.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
NewI've never been to Morgantown, and I know most of the city areas there aren't very nice, but I thought WV is a beautiful state.

I’ve been all over WV - from south to north and even Morgantown.
Overall it’s a beautiful state.
However- they have issues.

So... it’s like a very attractive woman who rarely changes her underwear.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Except for Tom Herman's brief tenure, Bill Yeoman the inventor of the Veer Triple Option was Houston football. Maybe Kevin Sumlin. At the end of the clip Yeoman says "the officials weren't going to let you beat Alabama". Nothing new there. Yeoman brought his high scoring Houston Cougars to Florida Field and got stomped by the Super Sophs of Reaves and Alvarez.

There was a time when the SEC would let Houston games count as an SEC conference game when the SEC team did not play enough SEC opponents to qualify for the SEC championship. This went on only for a few years as well as I can remember.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
With Holgorsen leaving WV, this leaves the fat ass jump suit wearing Bob Huggins as the only alcoholic coach at WV.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
There was a time when the SEC would let Houston games count as an SEC conference game when the SEC team did not play enough SEC opponents to qualify for the SEC championship. This went on only for a few years as well as I can remember.
Interesting, I've read that in the 70's they were trying to get into the SEC and almost got an invite before the SWC came calling, bad move on their part.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
With Holgorsen leaving WV, this leaves the fat ass jump suit wearing Bob Huggins as the only alcoholic coach at WV.
Imagine the prices for both hookers and blow plummeting as Holgy and Grier leave at the same time.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Probably a very smart move. I don't follow WVU football (why would anyone?), but i did happen to watch a couple of their games this year as well as their bowl game against 'cuse. Their offense w/o Grier dropped off significantly. I know nothing about their roster, but a quick check on Rivals shows their last five classes in 30+ range (their current class sits at 56 - ouch!). He probably stood a good chance of getting fired in a year or two, and this gives him a chance for a fresh start and probably four years at least. If Ginger is correct about them making a run at B-12 membership there's a lot of logic to their offer and his acceptance.

I think their best year with Holgerson was the year before they signed Grier. That QB's type of play slowed the offense down some which helped the defense out. They were an Oklahoma win away from winning the Big 12 that year also and went 10-2 prior to the bowl game.

They will really struggle now for a few years I would think. Holgerson probably saw the writing on the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.