Danger to college football? XFL will take players after less than 3 years; even high school

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
They are sharing in the profits. Most of them get far more than they are worth. It's just a union.
You mean a monopoly. A union represents the workers. In this case the owners are the schools and NCAA. The worker has no rights. Its more like indenture servitude.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So essentially they are under a ver restrictive, one sided contract.
No. They are not. They can do whatever they want. Join the Army. Be a missionary. Play semipro football. Play minor league baseball. Become a plumber for three years. Sell running shoes. Anything.

It isn't restrictive at all. They can quit, misbehave and get thrown in jail, commit crimes and they don't repay their free tuition, living expenses and stipends, even though this might be over a hundred of thousand dollars. There are very few like that.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Eventually college football could end up like baseball, where 95% of the most talented high school kids take a chunk of change to play in the minors, while college baseball gets the scraps.

It is possible but the pool of talent is much larger and the demand less, so not that bad in my view.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You mean a monopoly. A union represents the workers. In this case the owners are the schools and NCAA. The worker has no rights. Its more like indenture servitude.
No... it isn't a worker at all. It's a kid playing a sport, voluntarily. No different than middle school baseball.

You obviously are a C student at whatever you took.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Well maybe $20-30k for bench warmers. The talent will command much more. Give me one reason they should not share in the profits? Be paid for the risk they are taking?

One reason is they have not shared in the investment. Now profit sharing, some money from say uniform sales, etc. would be fine. And there might not be any profits anyhow.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
No. They are not. They can do whatever they want. Join the Army. Be a missionary. Play semipro football. Play minor league baseball. Become a plumber for three years. Sell running shoes. Anything.
Let me put it this way. Lets take a grad student that is doing research and on scholarship. They get an education, board, opportunity and a stipend. Unlike an athlete they can just quit one institution and mozy on down the road for a better deal at another institution. No restrictions.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I could see in 20 yrs or so where the Universities are paying players and the players are enrolled but paying their own way for classes and board. There is just too much money involved now. A couple sharp lawyers are going to eventually break the NCAA.

Add it players paying for their training, the risk of injury, and many other benefits that they get today. That might make it a push.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let me put it this way. Lets take a grad student that is doing research and on scholarship. They get an education, board, opportunity and a stipend. Unlike an athlete they can just quit one institution and mozy on down the road for a better deal at another institution. No restrictions.
I agree. I dislike these restrictions.

Whoever, none of this goes to the issue of whether or not one is an employee or a kid playing a sport. This obviously will never get through to you.

The grad student and T&A often are not employees either.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
No... it isn't a worker at all. It's a kid playing a sport, voluntarily. No different than middle school baseball.

You obviously are a C student at whatever you took.
You obviously are insecure about where you are in life by resorting to insults. We can compare tax returns and financial statements anytime pal. Was having a nice discussion.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Can they take the results of their research, or is that restricted? I don't know and am too lazy to check.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One reason is they have not shared in the investment. Now profit sharing, some money from say uniform sales, etc. would be fine. And there might not be any profits anyhow.
Good point, since like only 20 institutions make "profit".

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I think this XFL is going to pay less than Bammer or Clemson though.
giphy.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You obviously are insecure about where you are in life by resorting to insults. We can compare tax returns and financial statements anytime pal. Was having a nice discussion.
:lmao2: I'm in my dream job, for which thirty to fifty thousand qualified people apply, pal. Frankly, sometimes I can't believe my good fortune.

If you knew the issue, you'd argue it. You arent. It's not fair, isn't a legal argument.

It's just the internet, dude. Don't get all pissy. Rub some dirt on it and keep going.

Last edited:

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Agree after the top 50 or so schools the profits drop way off. But more to the point. Its still a complete sham. The top schools are killing it in football. While restricting these kids. Unlike in the private sector there is no capital at risk because the schools (most) are backef by the full faith and credit of the states. Coaches making $5+ mill per year and can leave at will while these kids are mostly stuck. At the lower levels its still an student activity while at the top programs its a full time job.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can't see the XFL being able to pay these kids enough money to make it worth their while. But if they do then I think college football will still survive and thrive just like college basketball and baseball have.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Here is a question. Does anyone know what happens if a player loses his scholarship, for any reason, are they allowed to transfer and play?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Agree after the top 50 or so schools the profits drop way off. But more to the point. Its still a complete sham. The top schools are killing it in football. While restricting these kids. Unlike in the private sector there is no capital at risk because the schools (most) are backef by the full faith and credit of the states. Coaches making $5+ mill per year and can leave at will while these kids are mostly stuck. At the lower levels its still an student activity while at the top programs its a full time job.

Those football surplus fund the required female sports so they are not under the law open to being shared. Good point about most schools, UF is different at least I think it is.

They sign a contract, nobody forces them to do so. If you are good enough go to Canada, if the XFL offers that would be another option, I bet they won't be developing players physically the way we do, nor will the offer the connections that being a success at UF brings down the road.

Many coaches can't leave without penalty, but they are somewhat over paid. Now part of the 5M is for say what we call a side hustle, making speeches, ads, TV shows, uniform contracts.

Not that I oppose some additional reforms. We should cover somewhat future medical issues directly related to your time playing, some career support later or just after you graduate. More attention to developing the total player as a person.

Lots of possiblities.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I am sure they do not own their work. They do own their knowledge.

So they have a disincentive to move, not to mention different teachers. I wonder how many actually move at their desire rather their lack of performance.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
So they have a disincentive to move, not to mention different teachers. I wonder how many actually move at their desire rather their lack of performance.
Yes a disincentive.
I have one friend that bolted from UF to FAU and ended up way better off. His career has been a rocket. But, the point is he could and he did. He had a choice. The market came calling and was efficient for all parties involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.