Danger to college football? XFL will take players after less than 3 years; even high school

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
FAU was building their research program and wanted him. He wanted a change. Win win!

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
So why cant say Franks offer up his services/skills and football knowledge to the market?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I can't see the XFL being able to pay these kids enough money to make it worth their while. But if they do then I think college football will still survive and thrive just like college basketball and baseball have.
College baseball has thrived? All the great players are in the minors. I think there are about 5 college baseball programs in the entire country that actually make money.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
This will be interesting, but then we will hear people whining about how little opportunities the kids have that skip college and don’t make it in the XFL.

It’s kind of what I heard Stan Van Gundy say at an Orlando Touchdown Club meeting a few months ago about high school grads in the G-League. The older players will definitely try to take advantage and what would be a high pick may lose their shine when they can perform against hungry and vicious veterans trying to hang on. Even more so in football where body types are vastly different.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
No... it isn't a worker at all. It's a kid playing a sport, voluntarily. No different than middle school baseball.

You obviously are a C student at whatever you took.
C’
I agree. I dislike these restrictions.

Whoever, none of this goes to the issue of whether or not one is an employee or a kid playing a sport. This obviously will never get through to you.

The grad student and T&A often are not employees either.
no. My point has always been they are treated like servants. Its a sham. The kids are not just signing up for a an activity. I realize dude they are not employees. My post early clearly stated lets end the sham and make them employees.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Typically if research students move, it is for the advanced degrees and not in the middle. 3 separate schools to get a phd and chasing research assistantships is not uncommon. You gain knowledge from variety.

I could see this leading to the demise of college football as the kids will chase immediate dollars thinking they will then jump to the NFL. That said, it will probably collapse like the previous attempts. But hey, who would have thought hockey in Fl

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My post early clearly stated lets end the sham and make them employees.
Calling them employees is the sham. And it will seriously hurt them, more than they understand.

Whether or not some of the restrictions are rational or not, "fair", is compelling. I agree that many are dumb. However, that doesn't make them illegal.

Understand, I'd like to blow up the NCAA and let the conferences make their rules. NCAA is ruled by the midget colleges of the world. No offense URG.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
“Calling them employees is the sham. And it will seriously hurt them, more than they understand.”
Whether it hurts them or not is not the issue. They are adults with free will. However, they are held captive by the monopolistic rules of the NCAA. They are not kids in the legal sense but are treated like servants.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
College baseball has thrived? All the great players are in the minors. I think there are about 5 college baseball programs in the entire country that actually make money.
I'm talking about watching the games. They are still exciting and the play is fun to watch. People who watch and go will watch and go no matter who's on the field. Just like college football.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm talking about watching the games. They are still exciting and the play is fun to watch. People who watch and go will watch and go no matter who's on the field. Just like college football.
I disagree to an extent. I think more people would attend the games if the talent was quadrupled.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree to an extent. I think more people would attend the games if the talent was quadrupled.
I think you're right, if people thought these guys might actually someday play for their Sunday team.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So they'll be able call in sick, right.
And no problem with RT making $60K more than the center when he's not as good? Those 18,19 year olds will get along fine. Lawd, some these 18yo will have to be given "daddy-leave"?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
“Calling them employees is the sham. And it will seriously hurt them, more than they understand.”
Whether it hurts them or not is not the issue. They are adults with free will. However, they are held captive by the monopolistic rules of the NCAA. They are not kids in the legal sense but are treated like servants.

Tell us how this would work. They'd get paid? They are limited to 20 hours week, so let's say we pay them minimum wage - which is now $8.46/hour, they make $170/week; they'd get per diem and travel expenses for away games; they no longer get a scholarship and have to pay their own tuition, books, room, board; no longer get the COA stipend; and since they make around $9,000/year in salary they may not qualify for any financial aid. Is this how it works if they're "employees"? Or do we pay them $25/hour? $50/hour? $100/hour? Do we pay them for 40 hours a week, in violation of NCAA rules for time allowed each week? What does Troy, UCF, FAU, ECU, and all of the other Group of 5 schools do that can't afford these "salaries".

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think the XFL will be an afterthought to everyone after the first season, if that long. It will always be looked at as a bunch of hacks/scrubs. I don't see it taking much from college football either. I dont think it will help in the development of a player like it would if he stayed in college. I think its biggest pull from college will be taking kids that can't qualify.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think the XFL will be an afterthought to everyone after the first season, if that long. It will always be looked at as a bunch of hacks/scrubs. I don't see it taking much from college football either. I dont think it will help in the development of a player like it would if he stayed in college. I think its biggest pull from college will be taking kids that can't qualify.

The problem is the new league that starts in August. So now there's going to be two minor leagues operating at the same time. The AAF getting a head start isn't going to help, plus the AAF has Spurrier and a lot of former coaching legends.

I agree there should be some sort of developmental league for the NFL, especially for QBs & OLs (which seems to be the biggest problem for the NFL). But I'm not sure they need 18 teams (8 in the AAF and 10 in the XFL). IMO, the best thing that could happen is if the NFL would subsidize a minor league like this (each of the 32 teams puts in $500K to $1mil). By making these leagues "for profit" they are almost destined for failure.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
XFL is only an after-thought to these kids. It's NFL or bust with them. Perhaps if they're a border line performer, they may feel leaving college and playing in the XFL might help their chances of moving up to the NFL some day they might head out early. At a school like UF, I find it hard to believe they'd have a bigger platform to showcase their talents in the XFL though. Just my 2 cents.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
XFL is only an after-thought to these kids. It's NFL or bust with them. Perhaps if they're a border line performer, they may feel leaving college and playing in the XFL might help their chances of moving up to the NFL some day they might head out early. At a school like UF, I find it hard to believe they'd have a bigger platform to showcase their talents in the XFL though. Just my 2 cents.

Agree that most of these kids want to play in the NFL (hell, I'm 48 and I'd still like to play in the NFL!! :D ).

What these leagues are going to be (including the AAF) is be a place holder for kids 1 to 4 years out of college. If they can make $80K (which is the AAF salary) that's enough to get by while they still hold onto the NFL dream. Other than the Canadian League and Arena football there isn't anywhere for these kids to develop and/or get noticed.

My gym has an "athlete performance" area where a lot of HS & college kids work w/ personal trainers (I actually met a DB/WR from the DC/Baltimore area, Demarco Hellams a few months ago - he just signed w/ Alabama). Anyhow, there are about 4 or 5 guys that workout there regularly that played at UVA, Liberty, and JMU who are trying to get into the NFL or CFL. None of these kids tried out for the AAF (which I found odd). But they're in there everyday doing football stuff to stay in shape. Two of them got tryouts w/ CFL teams and didn't get a call back (probably time for them to hang up the dream....but these new leagues offer that gap for one or two years).

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The difference is they would be getting paid to play. If you are good enough for the NFL they will find you if you play in Africa.

To some of these kids, why play in college for three years when you can play in the XFL for 3 years and get paid while doing it? A degree means very little to most of these guys, especially if they think they are good enough for the NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator