Danger to college football? XFL will take players after less than 3 years; even high school

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
“Calling them employees is the sham. And it will seriously hurt them, more than they understand.”
Whether it hurts them or not is not the issue. They are adults with free will. However, they are held captive by the monopolistic rules of the NCAA. They are not kids in the legal sense but are treated like servants.

I think many are not adults when they sign, especially with the early signing period. I seem to remember one player who could not get their parent to sign off having an issue in the past.

Considering how so many of them do so many stupid things treating them like children is probably a decent idea.

If they were to become employees that would be the end of college football as we know it. A union would result and all those special rules for employees would apply. Get free food, tax that!!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
So why cant say Franks offer up his services/skills and football knowledge to the market?

He could, just don't play for UF. And he does not have such knowledge, he receives that.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I think its great... what about those kids who don't want college? Baseball does it.

What about kids who don't get looked at or come from crappy HS programs.

And what about kids like Trask?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think its great... what about those kids who don't want college? Baseball does it.

What about kids who don't get looked at or come from crappy HS programs.

And what about kids like Trask?
No one gives a crap about those kids in this discussion.

It's the kids with real talent that pass on college football that are the problem.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
No one gives a crap about those kids in this discussion.

It's the kids with real talent that pass on college football that are the problem.

Why should they go to college?

What about baseball?

And with the NCAA stupid rules can you blame them?

Are they going to college for an education, to get in the NFL, or both?

And you said it OX, you only care about the kid with real talent. SO why should they care about OX?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You must be hammered. I never said what the kids should or shouldn't do. What I care about it that I love college football and I would never want it diluted like college baseball is.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You must be hammered. I never said what the kids should or shouldn't do. What I care about it that I love college football and I would never want it diluted like college baseball is.

Understood but it's happening. Remember, we now have many more kids then when I was in school.

And when I was in school we had several kids who could not qualify for college that were VERY talented.

My best friend was overlooked and could not afford to walk-on.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
It's not just college football, it's all football. When the system worked, you had one govenring body over the amateurs and one premier league to showcase the best of the best. Very few slots in the NFL are available for the amount of kids who play high school or even college football. It guaranteed we got the best spectacle when we tuned in or went to an NFL game. It also allowed for maximum revenue and these ridiculous contracts. Money is the biggest driving factor for the talented enough kid. They want to "retire momma," have the nicest cars, and throw the largest crack party on the block.

Now, we see these other leagues coming about. The Alliance was extremely watchable. Roger Goodell, ESPN, and all these other doofuses have made the NFL and it's news coverage PC and unwatchable. If player contracts come down too far, we will see a huge shift in the current sports landscape. Why risk all the debilitating injuries in football when you could save your body, double your career length, and make more money playing a different sport?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
IWhy risk all the debilitating injuries in football when you could save your body, double your career length, and make more money playing a different sport?

Because it would be hard to be at a pro level in other big paying sports with your skillset? The amount of American athletes making it in American pro basketball and baseball probably pales in comparison to the chances of becoming an NFL player for a few years. Baseball does have quite a few bonus babies that never make it into the league however.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It guaranteed we got the best spectacle when we tuned in or went to an NFL game. It also allowed for maximum revenue and these ridiculous contracts.
Oddly, it is the union contracts that require such huge raises for players with more years in the league that they get cut instead and replaced with rookies who don't know wtf they are doing.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Can they take the results of their research, or is that restricted? I don't know and am too lazy to check.

There are restrictions on how many credits hours that can transfer. And yes, depending on who is funding the research, research may be proprietary.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

Okay, I know I'm going to get down voted into oblivion here - but what the hell. I like college baseball (not as much as I like football) and think it is fairly competitive. While it is true that the minors create a talent suck that means the overall quality of play is not what it could be, you still get to see some future MLB players out there. I know I'm definitely the minority here, but what I used to love about college football was its amateur nature; young guys, representing their school - playing for pride with only a handful of them ever having the shot at making real money. College ball has become huge business. The universities make millions which they pour into facilities and (at least the business savvy programs) player lifestyle enhancements. We are a far cry from the days of Rudy.

To me, it's not an improvement. The student portion of student athlete is more or less a punchline now. If the XFL wants to take the top 10% of football players that have no real interest in going to class and representing an institution whose purpose is higher education - so be it. If all of them go maybe the game gets a little slower - but would really notice as it is pretty much a relativistic contraction? I'll still root for my Gators because I love the school. If we get rid of the guys who are only doing the bare minimum needed to get a chance at a NFL payday we open up the opportunity for kids that are truly humbled to get the opportunity to go to the best university in the whole damn southeastern United States for free and want to take advantage of the change in their stars attending will make. Maybe with that, we get a little bit of the what made me love college sports back.

I'll take the beating now. :spank:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If the XFL wants to take the top 10% of football players that have no real interest in going to class and representing an institution whose purpose is higher education - so be it.
I think it could be a lot more than that. Basically, in time college football would be nothing but castaway 1 and 2 star players, with an occasional 3 star thrown in there. It would be like watching women's basketball.

As far as the "higher education" BS, let's be realistic: 90% of scholarship football players could not possibly care less about their education. They are there to play football. We need to stop pretending that the academics matter one iota. Class is a deterrent to the average scholarship football player, nothing more than a necessary evil. That's why they take joke classes and cheat like hell whenever possible.

Leagues like the XFL could remove that evil - and pay you to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.