Danny Devito in cleats: Kyler Murray declares for NFL draft

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting.....turns down almost 5 mil to go get his head bashed in with the NFL and likely make 1/10 of what he'd ever see as a successful MLB player. Wonder if hes using the NFL against his MLB contract which could very well backfire? I for one think he's too small to be successful in the NFL but Im also 5'11'' so what do I know?

Oklahoma's Kyler Murray Declares for 2019 NFL Draft Amid Talks with Athletics

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He is 5'11" when wearing platform shoes from what I understand.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Seems clear to me he's keeping both options open, and may want to see what his rookie contract would pay based on where he's picked vs. what the A's offer before pulling the trigger. Sounds like a smart kid who's getting good counsel.

GatorRaed

Jan 3, 2019
That was not a wise gamble for Oakland. While they'll get their money back, they get nothing for a top-10 pick that could have been spent on an impact player like Brady Singer.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He hasn't walked away from Baseball..... He can just pick now. The A's just raised the amount of his contract that is guaranteed. I still think he will pick baseball.....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I heard being tall is the key component to being a successful QB.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If he picks the NFL over MLB he is a total fool. The NFL doesn't need another Doug Flutie.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Drew Brees disagrees...
Drew Brees is a little over 6'0", nice try. Same size as Steve Young.

Russell Wilson is the only short-esque QB who has ever been successful (5'10.5"), and he's Peyton Manning compared to this turd Murray, who is between 5'2" and 5'4". The kid is Danny Devito in cleats.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Can Murray play in the NFL? Yes! Can Murray play in the NFL as a QB? No!. Way too short and tho elusive, the NFL game is played in the middle of the field, not the perimeter, so big hits when running occur more often. Yes he throws a nice ball, but doubt that can translate into the NFL. Lamar Jackson is taller and very elusive and yes won some games as a QB, but being an inaccurate thrower caught up to Lamar in the playoffs. So Murray can try and get pounded for a few years or give baseball a shot and if he plays to his draft position, he can make huge money in baseball..

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Drew Brees is a little over 6'0", nice try. Same size as Steve Young.

Russell Wilson is the only short-esque QB who has ever been successful (5'10.5"), and he's Peyton Manning compared to this turd Murray, who is between 5'2" and 5'4". The kid is Danny Devito in cleats.

Since I look down on 6'......... Brees is short....

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Forget height. If I were a GM, I wouldn't want to use a draft pick higher than the 5th or 6th round on a guy who may leave for the MLB.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Smart move. NFL contract will come with a large signing bonus (most likely much larger than his MLB bonus) and more guaranteed money for the duration of the first contract. If he’s a mid first rounder or better, he’s probably looking at $15m guaranteed minimum and maybe upward of $32m over the first 4-5 years. MLB will pay him a bonus of what...maybe $7m if he’s lucky and then he’s stuck in the farm system for an undetermined length of time. If he doesn’t make it to the bigs, the bonus is really all he has to show for it. Also, the longer it takes to make the bigs, the longer he has to wait before he’s eligible to sign a new contract for big money. He’ll be playing for maybe $300k per year for the first 5 or so years. MLB contract rules treat these guys almost like indentured servants for their first several years, that’s just the way it works.

Also, if football doesn’t work out in 3-4 years baseball will still be there. I don’t think the opposite is true.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb