DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Guys are swarming, penetrating and consistently pressuring the QB, which is making it easier for the secondary. The turnaround in the last six quarters has been nothing short of remarkable. They look pumped and excited out there.
What stands out to me is that Powell-Ryland is consistently in position and making plays. He's not a one man wrecking crew, but he's getting the job done. Every game.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lots of young players getting time on D and freshman receivers stepping up as well. It looks like things are starting to gel.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's amazing what has been done so far. It can't be understated the progress that has been done. Sometimes when you remove one piece of a bad area how the overall group can improve. Even Torrence and Dean are playing with more discipline. Love seeing the young players in there and making an impact. Rattler was harrassed all day long. Highlight of the Day was Big Des' strip and run. Would have loved for him to score but stiff arming Rattler was just great. Glad that Cox was perhaps the catalyst for that switch to get flipped. Overall much, much improvement.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like a different set of guys out there .
Good to see Young get some PT and also number 10 Mitchell is a good looking frosh. Big Des is just awesome . Love the big man

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
It seems we've been infected with Volsheimer's.

It's fine to enjoy our wins, but let's consider the source before we put the laurels on anyone.

Texas A&M 102nd in scoring, 100th in passing efficiency, 100th in rushing offense
South Carolina 50th in scoring, 68th in passing efficiency, 86th in rushing offense (buoyed by wins against the powerhouses Georgia State, Charlotte and South Carolina State)

Both of these teams are trash. I'm glad we won, but let's not pretend like we looked good against anyone with a pulse. South Carolina's signature win is over the UK team (that beat us at home) that just helped Vandy snap a 26-game SEC losing streak.

We won big and that's great! Just like I posted after the Utah win, you should probably curb your enthusiasm.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

It's fine to enjoy our wins, but let's consider the source before we put the laurels on anyone.

Texas A&M 102nd in scoring, 100th in passing efficiency, 100th in rushing offense
South Carolina 50th in scoring, 68th in passing efficiency, 86th in rushing offense (buoyed by wins against the powerhouses Georgia State, Charlotte and South Carolina State)

Both of these teams are trash. I'm glad we won, but let's not pretend like we looked good against anyone with a pulse. South Carolina's signature win is over the UK team (that beat us at home) that just helped Vandy snap a 26-game SEC losing streak.

We won big and that's great! Just like I posted after the Utah win, you should probably curb your enthusiasm.
GTFO out here - no one put "laurels" on anyone. The important thing is progress, and we've seen an amazing amount. Earlier in the season, South Carolina would have scored 35 points on us.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
So we beat bad teams like we're supposed to. Ill take it.
The only bad loss we have is Kentucky and we literally handed them the game on ints. LSU won the West, beat us by 10 and UT has a shot at the playoff and they beat us by 5.

JS, I'm gonna enthusiasm even harder now lol

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
GTFO out here - no one put "laurels" on anyone. The important thing is progress, and we've seen an amazing amount. Earlier in the season, South Carolina would have scored 35 points on us.

If you say so.

The Vols were famous for their amazing "progress" at the end of each season, right? Somehow at the start of the next season they were still trash. Management doesn't like my opinion, even when I ground it in reality. I'll keep it to myself.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

When the new rankings are released, I fully expect you to have dropped to a 4*.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If you say so.

The Vols were famous for their amazing "progress" at the end of each season, right? Somehow at the start of the next season they were still trash. Management doesn't like my opinion, even when I ground it in reality. I'll keep it to myself.
This is embarrassing.

The program was in shambles where Mullen left it. Were you expecting championships this year?

We complain about the effing defense all year (and rightfully so) and then when they have six straight shutout quarters, something no one here would have believed was possible against ANYONE, someone throws cold water on it because of the weak opponent and claims those that were happy are just like Vols fans. Sweet Jesus.

As for the mighty Vols, they are going to be exactly where we are the evening of the SECCG - sitting at home with potato chips all over our chins.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I haven’t charted the plays, but it sure seems like we have brought more pressure and played far more man the last two games. Less time to throw in to tighter windows is what I’ve noticed.

If so, I’m not surprised we have looked better. That would fit our athletes and allow them to play more freely. Almost like Florida is known for speed and passing, our defenses are historically known for great D Linemen and press coverage. It seems PT has leaned into it finally.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
IDC who the opponent is, since halftime at A&M, the defense hasnt surrendered a td and hasnt allowed over 350 yards. We're giving up less than 60 yards a qtr. Ill take it

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
If you say so.

Doing that might keep you employed one day.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
After we win out I vote that Ox changes 5-Star Finger to 2-Star Finger.
I might would just go with the middle finger. :lmao:

Even if we don't win out. If anyone cannot see improvement.......you're not looking, don't care, or don't get it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Volsheimer's
Gavin Free Smile GIF by Achievement Hunter

a31c3e0785885c7d9f2c9877492fab4b--florida-gators-buckeyes.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So we beat bad teams like we're supposed to.
Yes and shut the door on them....didn't let them hang around keeping younger players from getting reps at the end of the game. Didn't screw around and let the crappy teams drive most of the length of the field either, they got off the field on 3rd downs consistently over the last 6 quarters, very few if any penalties.

The defense is playing their assignments and it's paying off and it looks like the players are buying in more and more...crappy competition or not this is key. And I haven't noticed nearly as many missed tackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb