De-Extinction

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
IMG_7117.jpeg
  • Colossal's scientists are working to recreate the woolly mammoth genome
  • If successful, they would use Asian elephants as surrogate mothers
  • The company plans to monetize some of the technologies it develops in the process

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
If I could de-extinct (is that a real word?) an animal, I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t start with the wooly mammoth.

What would you choose?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I could de-extinct (is that a real word?) an animal, I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t start with the wooly mammoth.

What would you choose?
The Passenger Pigeon was hunted/shot to extinction. I’d vote for them being on the de-extinction list. I know dogs aren’t extinct, but if I were granted leeway, I’d love to have my three labs, Deuce, Chief, and Sally back.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
jurassic park toilet GIF by Supercompressor

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I heard a radio interview a few months back with these guys. The question was, as pointed out above, why? Just because we can doesn't mean we should. Yes there were commercial reasons, but 90% of their answer came back to restoring the environment, undoing the damage mankind has done over the eons. I'm not going to judge their motivations, and I have near zero doubt of their ability to follow thru. My focus is on what the impact may be - good (as they intend) and bad (as they may not aniticipate).

FYI, it's not just the Woolly Mammoth they are targetting right now. Their current species list targets 3 animals (more explanation on each here) - Woolly Mammoth (as elephants are still close enough to be used for insemination), Tasmanian Tiger, and the Dodo bird. There are others further out on the plan, and they point to other species being brought back prior to this effort (Florida Panther, Black Footed Ferret, American Bison).

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Places where they let the violent criminals roam free.
They should seal off cities like L.A., D.C. etc. and release the Saber tooths inside then use the leftist politicians and violent criminals do the whole "Running Man" thing. If they can survive for say, a month or 60 then they will have earned their freedoms...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.