Death of former Florida CB Avery Atkins changed how Urban Meyer approaches player discipline

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I remember when the account of his death was published. Couldn't believe it at the time, and wondered what might have been had he stayed on the team. It's interesting now to hear Urb's thoughts on the matter, and I can't help but think of Hernandez and some others.

Any thoughts?

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/urban-meyer-avery-atkins-death-florida-football-ohio-state

The way Urban Meyer dealt with former Florida cornerback’s Avery Atkins’ off-field issues troubled the coach for years.

Recently, the Ohio State coach spoke to Sports Illustrated’s Bruce Feldman and discussed his evolution as a coach and a leader. As part of the in-depth piece about Meyer, the former Gators coach mentioned how Atkins’ situation changed Meyer’s view on player discipline.

Atkins was a freshman on Florida’s 2005 team, and he was projected to be a starter in 2006, when the Gators won the national title. However, the player was released from his scholarship in June 2006 because of a domestic battery charge.

In July 2007, Atkins died of an apparent Ecstasy overdose in Port Orange, Fla. He was 20. Shortly before his death, he was arrested on charges of purchasing crack cocaine.

Meyer coached Florida from 2005-10. In the Sports Illustrated piece, he spoke about how Atkins’ situation affected him deeply.

“Could’ve been a first-rounder,” Meyer told Feldman of Atkins. “Pushes a girl. I kick him off the team. The streets take him over in Daytona.

“I lived with that for three or four years thinking, ‘Wait a minute, we lost this kid on our watch.’ That’s when we started giving kids second, third and fourth chances. I would not get rid of a kid, and it bit us a little bit.

“I went 20 years in my career and never really had stuff like that. I was convinced at the time that if he’d have stayed in our program, we would’ve gotten him right, and how do you ever let that happen on your watch?”

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
That was a sad situation, but rules are rules. If one of your rules is to not put your hands on a woman you have to follow through. As a coach you expect the players to follow those rules and you can do only so much for the players.

If you are going to give a player a second chance you better put in place a check system to make sure that player is following through. If you keep giving them chance after chance you become an enabler.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I became excited about what Atkins would bring to the defense in 2006. That 2005 class had about 19 players, some of whom had injuries they couldn't overcome like Jon Demps along with others who ended up transferring.
Sad how his life was cut short at the age of 20.
With the way he handled the Carlos Hyde situation at Ohio State, I wondered if that's why Hyde was given a 2nd chance.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Second changes are fine if there is an indication that change and improvement will happen. Third and fourth probably not. And he obviously had a problem that might have found him in Gville. Sad but some just won't learn.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You can’t save someone from themselves...no matter how many chances you give them. Follow the rules or suffer the consequences. My 3 year old is already gaining a grasp of this concept.

Last edited:

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Between this and the other kid, it messed up Meyer.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The only thing Meyer did wrong (maybe) is not helping the kid land at another school. But kicking him off the team for "pushing" a woman was the right thing to do. Plenty of kids start over somewhere else, especially one's w/ "1st round talent".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This definitely affected Leyer but ultimately the person responsible for Avery was Avery. There have been even more bad results from troubled kids who got coddled too much versus those who got fed some tough love.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's probably a tad late to play surrogate dad to an already cooked 18-year-old.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody has a woe is me and come back baby story in their lives. Personal responsibility aside, those are some dangerous drugs to be experimenting or drowning your sorrows with. It just isn't that pass the joint you hog kind of a time anymore :cool:

Jun 2, 2015
I well remember Avery particularly during his playing days at Mainland High School here in Daytona Beach. Not a bad kid but had some questionable friends and got into drugs.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I well remember Avery particularly during his playing days at Mainland High School here in Daytona Beach. Not a bad kid but had some questionable friends and got into drugs.

I somewhat get tired of hearing someone is not a "bad kid" yet hangs out with bad people, gets involved with drugs or other illegal activities.

Those things mean you are a "bad kid" since good ones don't do those things.

A friend of mine taught there for one year, was not that pleasant even a long time ago.

Jun 2, 2015
I somewhat get tired of hearing someone is not a "bad kid" yet hangs out with bad people, gets involved with drugs or other illegal activities.

Those things mean you are a "bad kid" since good ones don't do those things.

A friend of mine taught there for one year, was not that pleasant even a long time ago.

Mainland is very large and around the 1990's became a pretty tough inner-city school so I can understand why your friend did not find it pleasant. Of course, they always have a great football team. Some kids are basically good, however, are followers and that is when trouble ensues. Unfortunately, not many teenagers will stand up against their more outgoing/aggressive peers.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Mainland is very large and around the 1990's became a pretty tough inner-city school so I can understand why your friend did not find it pleasant. Of course, they always have a great football team. Some kids are basically good, however, are followers and that is when trouble ensues. Unfortunately, not many teenagers will stand up against their more outgoing/aggressive peers.

He was there in the 70's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.