Gator Basketball Deep dive into our basketball team’s struggles

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
What's so weird is that his teams played fast at latech and we were playing fast a few years ago. We've got a crazy athletic team. Why are we statistically the slowest team in basketball?

The article went into that, though I'm not sure I fully buy the entire explanation (namely that plenty of winning teams have played slow in recent years).

It somewhat hints that we should play two different styles to better utilize our talent. When Nembhard, KJ, and Blackshear are in the game: play slow and methodical/defensive oriented basketball (pointing out that while Nembhard and Blackshear are high Bball IQ players, they aren't as elite of athletes as the others on our roster and likely wouldn't succeed as much if they went fast). When the freshmen are in the game: play faster since it'll cause them to think less and play more on instinct.

Left unsaid in the article is the why though: we roll at least 10-12 deep this year. I can't think of many teams--if any--who can rotate like that. Switch up tempo to go slow/fast/slow/breakneck pace and you'll quickly exhaust the other team and get them playing reactive basketball, as they respond to our moves. Especially down low: few opposing teams have 4-5 bigs they can run out...White is using our depth there, but he's not doing so strategically IMO. Facing a smart bball player like Blackshear to open the game...then having to deal with Bassett, Gak, and Payne running the floor...and top it off with Jitiboh wearing you out when you're already tired...yea, opposing bigs are going to be tired, in foul trouble, or both midway through the 2nd half. THAT is when you rotate in Blackshear to do work on their 2nd or 3rd string guy down low...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
White needs to check to see if they froze any of Paul Westhead's sperm. They do miracles in that in vitro stuff and White's such a pushy.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I'll tip my hat to anyone who will take the time to dive deep into this. I can appreciate how perplexing it is for some to see this sort of talent level and be dumbfounded at the performance so far. He is not a good coach and the team has NO discipline, they don't shoot well FG% or FT%. There is no method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator