• LB: Mohamoud Diabate
  • Star: Tre’Vez Johnson
  • CB: Kaiir Elam
  • CB: Jaydon Hill
  • SS: Trey Dean III
  • FS: Rashad Torrence II
Outlook
There’s nowhere to go but up.

One thing that stands out is the talent: If this is Florida’s starting group, it would feature 8 blue-chip starters and 2 5-stars, a considerably more talented “first group” than the one that struggled so much in 2020.

It is possible, of course, that free safety Brad Stewart, an immensely talented but inconsistent player, could return. If he does, he should edge Torrence for a starting job, but both will play.

The Gators have hit the portal hard up front, adding 3 defensive tackles, including Shelton, who was productive at Penn State for 3 seasons and should start immediately at nose tackle. The Gators have excellent depth on the edge, with the staff particularly excited about sophomore Khris Bogle, who played terrific football down the stretch, and the return of senior Jeremiah Moon, who battled injuries all of 2020, to give the team a host of options.

For this group, a spring practice where they can get back to fundamentals — learning the scheme, lining up properly, dealing with tempo — will be immense. They’ll also need to figure out who is the alpha at linebacker. Florida missed veteran starter David Reese far more than anyone anticipated in 2020, and there’s not really a natural middle linebacker on the roster.

Mo Diabate has the makeup of a future All-SEC outside linebacker, but can the staff get more consistency from Ventrell Miller, and will one of the highly touted Tyron Hopper or Derek Wingo be able to play some in the middle? The outlook is less certain there, and that could be problematic.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Gators have excellent depth on the edge
Meaning the line for flyweight OLB hybrids wraps around the building.

and there’s not really a natural middle linebacker on the roster.
Quick, someone tell the GA posing as our LB coach.

PS he didnt recruit one this class or next class either.
Mo Diabate has the makeup of a future All-SEC outside linebacker
Too bad we dont play one.

Do any of these fuchsng idiot "journalists" know ANYTHING about football? Or do they actual watch it at all and notice we play, sort of, a 3-4 w 2 inside LBs and a rush end and "star" (really jist a 3rd corner for us ) as the two "outside LBs"? Or perhaps they at least noticed that Diabete stands in the middle right beside Miller instead of lining up as an OLB.

Am I just too demanding?

but can the staff get more consistency from Ventrell Miller, and will one of the highly touted Tyron Hopper or Derek Wingo be able to play some in the middle? The outlook is less certain there, and that could be problematic.
Who is going to get this development and consistency? Same fuchsing Dwag GA and Dwag DC who habent had the slightest development for the last 3 years? What is changing? They only two people who know how to play LB (Reed and Miller) knew how to do it when the Dwags arrived and havent improved.

As for the BS about alignments etc, this is all on fatdwag not getting the signal in or changing it. Period.

Or him just drawing up stupid ass plays that wont work and dont surprise anyone. That safety Dwag lined up 12 yards deep "to disguise the coverage" WILL NEVER be able to cover the slot in man coverage, at least on any short pass or medium out... unless we recruited Quicksilver.

It time just to admit that Grantham's playbook just sucks. If you cant see that, you have zero understanding of football and dont deserve to be "a journalist".

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
but hey!!!!

7601333eeb3312.jpg

Spoiler: runner up trophies dont actually exist.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Has anyone seen that Dunlap is not returning? I saw someone mention it on another board, but have not seen a tweet or anything confirming. He'd be a solid depth piece next year, unless these two transfers end up being studs and the 2020 freshman (2nd year players in 2021) play better than expected.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Where the hell is Dunlap going? Maybe he didn't like the two transfers coming in (taking his potential playing time)?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

And he'll regret not coming back the rest of his life! It is a hard schedule, but he's not playing pro ball so this is it for him. Might as well get another fall out of it and another full year of free school, leaving w/ a free masters degree. He played an average of at least 20 snaps a game last year. I imagine he'd get that many in next year's defense.

Jake from State Farm

I'm wearing Khakis, why?
Sep 6, 2014
I'm not as smart as you guys but I'm happy that we seem to have more quality options than the past few years. While not being a Fat Todd fan, I think even bad coaches do better with more talented players to work with. I'll be happy if we can just get the play in with enough time to get set before the snap.

I'm feeling better about this new defense, despite the dawgchit DC.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Meaning the line for flyweight OLB hybrids wraps around the building.

Quick, someone tell the GA posing as our LB coach.

PS he didnt recruit one this class or next class either.

Too bad we dont play one.

Do any of these fuchsng idiot "journalists" know ANYTHING about football? Or do they actual watch it at all and notice we play, sort of, a 3-4 w 2 inside LBs and a rush end and "star" (really jist a 3rd corner for us ) as the two "outside LBs"? Or perhaps they at least noticed that Diabete stands in the middle right beside Miller instead of lining up as an OLB.

Am I just too demanding?

Who is going to get this development and consistency? Same fuchsing Dwag GA and Dwag DC who habent had the slightest development for the last 3 years? What is changing? They only two people who know how to play LB (Reed and Miller) knew how to do it when the Dwags arrived and havent improved.

As for the BS about alignments etc, this is all on fatdwag not getting the signal in or changing it. Period.

Or him just drawing up stupid ass plays that wont work and dont surprise anyone. That safety Dwag lined up 12 yards deep "to disguise the coverage" WILL NEVER be able to cover the slot in man coverage, at least on any short pass or medium out... unless we recruited Quicksilver.

It time just to admit that Grantham's playbook just sucks. If you cant see that, you have zero understanding of football and dont deserve to be "a journalist".

Donkey. I 'd put you on ignore, but the steam coming from your posts heats my house. Plus I crack up with everyone of them. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And he'll regret not coming back the rest of his life! It is a hard schedule, but he's not playing pro ball so this is it for him. Might as well get another fall out of it and another full year of free school, leaving w/ a free masters degree. He played an average of at least 20 snaps a game last year. I imagine he'd get that many in next year's defense.

You realize Stiner could be reading this board right now, right?

Any change in heart announced over the next few days, I’m blaming you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator