Defensive Personnel

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Why do we insist on playing Stiner and Burney?

Why do we play 7 yards off on 4th and 4?

Why do our guys constantly look out of position, late to get set, confused, etc?

If we’re gonna struggle like this, let’s ride with the young and hungry guys. Give me Hopper, Wingo, Gervon, Diabate, etc.

8B2FE8BE-16C1-41B2-B5A2-F5BCD2610318.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who are you going to play insead of Burney? We didnt sign inside linebackers and were just going to teach safeties to play LB we've heard for years.

Brunson? Houston? FIU Butters specials?

Diabate is like 210 pounds, and of course they had him play DE last year so he doesnt seem to know the playbook.

I have no idea about Stiner. I have no idea what kind of professional coach plays that kid. it almost looks like one of those middle School coaches who's playing his own son regardless..

We have DBs, even if they arent true Free Safeties. We play two free safeties and zero strong safeties.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Who are you going to play insead of Burney? We didnt sign inside linebackers and were just going to teach safeties to play LB we've heard for years.

Brunson? Houston? FIU Butters specials?

Diabate is like 210 pounds, and of course they had him play DE last year so he doesnt seem to know the playbook.

I have no idea about Stiner. I have no idea what kind of professional coach plays that kid. it almost looks like one of those middle School coaches who's playing his own son regardless..

We have DBs, even if they arent true Free Safeties. We play two free safeties and zero stronf safeties.

Miller is our MLB, not Burney. I’d rather go Houston, Wingo, Hopper over Burney, let’s give them a shot and see what they can do. Burney just isn’t it, can’t play the run or pass, and has no instincts.

Throw any DB back there in Stiner’s spot (heck, I bet McWilliams would make a better safety).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Miller is our MLB, not Burney.
The two linebacker positions are essentially interchangeable in the defense. When the defense motions changing strength, you will see they don't flip. Theoretically you'd want the Will backer to be slightly faster as he is more likely to have a #3 receiver but it is still an "inside" linebacker position. Remember we pretend we play a 3-4.

You won't see Burney lining up outside unless a TE or RB splits and he is in man.

Occasionally the RUSH backer stands up and leaves the line, but rarely. Usually just third and Grantham when we play soft zone and let three rush.

The Same backer essentially doesn't exist. We so far have always been in nickel (who substitutes for Sam).

Hopper also isnt an inside backer. We put all our eggs in the basket of transitioning Reece and Burney from safety to backer. So far it's a massive failure. We are landing one sole ILB this class too. :lmao2: He should be ready in two or three years.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Burney , Jeremiah Moon, Marco and Stiner all
stink . Moon has been here five years. Andrew Chatfield has made more big plays than him and he’s taken maybe 15 snaps in his career so far . Moon played almost the entire game yesterday and all
He does is **** up left and right . Bogle and Cox
Is a far better pair. Put Moon in the damn bench and maybe give him 6-7 snaps per game . Chatfield and others like Carter need to be at end . Moon gets pushed around wherever he gets lined up.

Marco struggles to cover anybody . This is why we play off coverage on 4th and 4. The staff
Knows he can’t cover a soul but still run him out there . It makes no sense . We don’t have great pass rushers this year , so going lighter doesn’t make sense either but that’s what we’ve done . Having dexter in the game with Tj and carter is our best 3 down bunch . Linebacker is another problem. It’s time to see if young guys like Hopper and Wingo can help . We can’t idiotically keep throwing Amari out there and suddenly expect him to play LB properly .

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
A- we can’t recognize good players
B- we can’t croot
C- we can’t teach
D- errbody above
E- ham sammy

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Burney , Jeremiah Moon, Marco and Stiner all
stink . Moon has been here five years. Andrew Chatfield has made more big plays than him and he’s taken maybe 15 snaps in his career so far . Moon played almost the entire game yesterday and all
He does is **** up left and right . Bogle and Cox
Is a far better pair. Put Moon in the damn bench and maybe give him 6-7 snaps per game . Chatfield and others like Carter need to be at end . Moon gets pushed around wherever he gets lined up.

Marco struggles to cover anybody . This is why we play off coverage on 4th and 4. The staff
Knows he can’t cover a soul but still run him out there . It makes no sense . We don’t have great pass rushers this year , so going lighter doesn’t make sense either but that’s what we’ve done . Having dexter in the game with Tj and carter is our best 3 down bunch . Linebacker is another problem. It’s time to see if young guys like Hopper and Wingo can help . We can’t idiotically keep throwing Amari out there and suddenly expect him to play LB properly .

Basically, we are still replacing JM level players with recruits that actually belong here. That’s not a defense of Mullen, because this should’ve been happening much sooner and we should have even more “new” options. As I always say, I love anyone who sign up to play for the O&B and try their best. But when UF was UF, guys like Moon, Burney, Stiner, etc are not even here, much less playing extensively. Marco is the odd one. He’s just not having a good season and appears to be checked out.

But yes, I agree. Put Hopper, Wingo, any younger DB out there and let talent make plays. Trying this continued experiment of squeezing more from McWilliams types than their initial billing suggests, is moronic. And it only delays the defense ever being good. Assuming we take a step back next year on offensive efficiency, do we really want to be breaking in new, inexperienced starters on D?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Burney (and Lil Reed) would be a pretty good strong safety. If we played one.

It is probably going to be the same for Wingo and Diwun Black.

Safety to inside LB is a very hard transition. We keep saying we are going to do it and we've been 100% unsuccessful so far.

Last edited:

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Has Wingo played a down yet?
I also can't believe the loss of the nutritionist to uga would account for are guys being the smallest in the SEC but they are.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Has Wingo played a down yet?
I also can't believe the loss of the nutritionist to uga would account for are guys being the smallest in the SEC but they are.
No. They were signed as some of the smallest DL and LB in the SEC. It isn't the nutritionist.

Last edited:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Mullen summed it up in five words at his post game presser "It is what it is" .
How we got to this point is average recruiting on the defensive side of the ball that equals an average defense.
Ga. and Bama continue to load up on 4 and 5 star players on defense while we struggle and it will show when we play Ga. later this year.
Like Mullen said "It is what it is". Fl. will rely on its Offense this year to win games and has much to improve on if the old adage holds true "Defense wins Championships".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think we do generally start with Bernie playing Will, but if they motion or whatever I don't think we change sides, similar to how we don't really move the safeties as strong and free.

I am seeing more zone, a Sabanesque matchup zone vs a Big 10 zone, and people falsely accusing our cornerbacks of playing improperly when we are just seeing the receivers leave their zone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. There is no chance Houston or Brunson can manage man-1 like we ask our guys to do often.

I doubt Hopper can either though I suspect he would be a better backer vs run. Houston is decent vs run too, but we sub him for Ventrell mostly.

Diabete seems to be mostly a blitzer so far as expect. He seems to be really special fast (probably reaction time not necessarily 40 time) and moves well sideline to sideline. If we played a real OLB, he'd be great at it.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I am seeing more zone, a Sabanesque matchup zone vs a Big 10 zone, and people falsely accusing our cornerbacks of playing improperly when we are just seeing the receivers leave their zone.

We are getting killed in man. I agree we should be running more zone. Arkansas beat MSU going strictly zone for most of the game. Obviously it works.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I will give credit to the posters on here that have been saying for a couple years this is where the defense was headed, I never thought it would look this bad and dysfunctional, boy was I wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb