DeSantis signs bill to pay college athletes

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think this order comes prior to NCAA implementation, correct?
Maybe? Who knows. All I know is the NCAA has no balls and won't fight, anything.

Except bake sales to pay part of an airplane ticket for a Gator, which probably just means our AD's office is the only thing with less testosterone than the NCAA.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Maybe? Who knows. All I know is the NCAA has no balls and won't fight, anything.

Except bake sales to pay part of an airplane ticket for a Gator, which probably just means our AD's office is the only thing with less testosterone than the NCAA.
See edit. Was there a state law that specifically prohibited this or is it political grandstanding?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
See edit. Was there a state law that specifically prohibited this or is it political grandstanding?
Grandstanding. There was no state law as far as I know. NCAA Board of Govs already said it was coming.

I guess everyone except the pumpers here at GC have noticed that all the good Florida kids leave the state.

Odd that the governor did a ceremony regarding this with a Null and a coCane but no Gator.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Grandstanding. There was no state law as far as I know. NCAA Board of Govs already said it was coming.

I guess everyone except the pumpers here at GC have noticed that all the good Florida kids leave the state.

Odd that the governor did a ceremony regarding this with a Null and a coCane but no Gator.

I guess you believe this cures the problem and keeps them in state?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I guess you believe this cures the problem and keeps them in state?
No. Of course not. Everyone else gets paid too.

The biggest problem in state are lack of quality coaches and the decrepit facilities at both UF and scUM. Elite kids want to play with other elite kids and play for championships, not fight UK, NC State or Duke for 3rd in the division.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
No. Of course not. Everyone else gets paid too.

The biggest problem in state are lack of quality coaches and the decrepit facilities at both UF and scUM. Elite kids want to play with other elite kids and play for championships, not fight UK, NC State or Duke for 3rd in the division.

Yeah when they go to Bama they get a trip to the dealership to pick out a new charger. This wont keep anyone in state.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

He’s a Harvard/Yale guy. Probably doesn’t even know the difference.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just thugs. whether wearing ketchup and mustard or green and orange.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You’re missing the point. They will not be able to compete in NCAA sponsored events if they accept money for endorsements unless the NCAA changes its rules.

So you’re telling me that if we have players start accepting endorsements, None of our players would be eligible?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
So you’re telling me that if we have players start accepting endorsements, None of our players would be eligible?
See edit.

But yes, if they accept endorsements before the policy was officially implemented, even if allowed by state law, they would be ineligible.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If the NCAA kept the rule, correct. They would be ineligible.

Florida has no authority over the NCAA.

The NCAA will not keep the rule of course but you phrased the question.

it's as useless as a state "legalizing" marijuana.... which is illegal under federal law.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

Not sure why it’s hard to understand. Again, if you pop positive for marijuana on an NCAA test, you’re getting a long suspension... even if you are a Colorado athlete.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see what you guys are saying but I don’t think that’s the case. The NCAA will cave to whatever is happening. Otherwise Conferences could just break off and put up their own governing agencies

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see what you guys are saying but I don’t think that’s the case. The NCAA will cave to whatever is happening. Otherwise Conferences could just break off and put up their own governing agencies
Yes, they will cave. they've already said they are proposing a rule.

but if they didn't cave, a state passing this thing would have no effect. players who took money would be ineligible.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
They already did on endorsements but have not on marijuana. Just wait a few more years and California will say it’s ok for athletes at which point the NCAA will cave there too. States have decided not to play nice with the NCAA any more and realize they can get the changes they want by passing laws allowing practices the NCAA prohibits then threaten to pull out of the NCAA.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

The NCAA will not keep the rule of course but you phrased the question.

it's as useless as a state "legalizing" marijuana.... which is illegal under federal law.
Just noticed your edit but disagree on the last point if the Feds have decided to decriminalize their own law. I’m honestly shocked it’s still on the books. Do they even prosecute it anymore? Definitely not in states with state legalization if it’s the primary offense. I suppose a prosecutor may tack a charge on if they want to get additional years for a wife beater who was found with pot in their possession. Is that possible or me misunderstanding how it works?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.