Dictator for a day. What do you do?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I just tried to empty one of these gas cans from hell into my truck so I could fill it with fresh gas for the generator with Ian on the way. It seems that with gas cans, in any event you're going to have some leakage around the cap as you pour. The spiffy safety spout slowed down the flow as I grunted and strained to hold the heavy can in place in the tank because the spiffy safety valve kept closing and the spout was barely long enough to penetrate the opening of the tank. I had to keep one hand pressed hard against that damned valve and bodily keep the can in place. By the time I gave up, took the spout off, and poured it into smaller cans that all leaked and spilled, I was bathed in gasoline and there was a puddle that filled the tailgate of my truck. Out of 5 gallons, I probably got 3 and 1/2 in the truck. You cannot pour gas without spilling some because the surface tension is so low. The longer it takes and the slower it flows, the more you're going to spill. Is there any way to get the idiots at the EPA to give us back a simple can with a vent hole and a long narrow spout that fits into a vehicle's gas tank?
OMG I’m rolling. We know exactly what you are talking about.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I just tried to empty one of these gas cans from hell into my truck so I could fill it with fresh gas for the generator with Ian on the way. It seems that with gas cans, in any event you're going to have some leakage around the cap as you pour. The spiffy safety spout slowed down the flow as I grunted and strained to hold the heavy can in place in the tank because the spiffy safety valve kept closing and the spout was barely long enough to penetrate the opening of the tank. I had to keep one hand pressed hard against that damned valve and bodily keep the can in place. By the time I gave up, took the spout off, and poured it into smaller cans that all leaked and spilled, I was bathed in gasoline and there was a puddle that filled the tailgate of my truck. Out of 5 gallons, I probably got 3 and 1/2 in the truck. You cannot pour gas without spilling some because the surface tension is so low. The longer it takes and the slower it flows, the more you're going to spill. Is there any way to get the idiots at the EPA to give us back a simple can with a vent hole and a long narrow spout that fits into a vehicle's gas tank?
These don't spill...

1664200300733.jpeg

Of course, they would wind up costing you more in the long run so there's that...

But to your point, I have gotten to where I always just use a funnel and remove the spout from the gas can. That way the spillage is minimal as long as you have a kid/spouse/friend to hold the funnel while you pour...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
F5025C3F-ED21-4AEC-9AF9-94109ED88E9D.jpeg

We purchased this kit. It comes with a drill bit and you can convert your new can into the old type.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
You can also get a vacuum siphon that uses a manual pump to start the flow and just leave the gas can on the side of the truck bed.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Back to the thread...

I'd get my own house on this upcoming family vacation.

Spent 3 hours today with the SIL trying to make everyone feel like they aren't getting totally screwed but amenities are acceptable. The best we could do is to put a bottle of bourbon, case of beer and a bottle of wine on the table in each house. Call it a starter kit for the day. There will be a shredder where you can file a complaint.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Spent 3 hours today with the SIL trying to make everyone feel like they aren't getting totally screwed but amenities are acceptable. The best we could do is to put a bottle of bourbon, case of beer and a bottle of wine on the table in each house. Call it a starter kit for the day. There will be a shredder where you can file a complaint.
You're a better person than I. "If you feel like you're getting screwed, then don't fuching come." That would be my Welcome Wagon.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
"Accidentally," of course.
Of course.

iu

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users