Did Trump Throw His Generals Under The Bus?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rogdochar, Jun 21, 2019.

1. rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,712
    Ratings:
    +15,021 / -210
    First, Trump has done a great job against leftist-style massive sabotage. I want him re-elected. But when I heard/saw him on this I cringed.=

Trump reveals: "We were locked and loaded and aimed. The generals were all on board to strike Iran. Then I called them back in and asked how many would be killed. They told me 150. I told them no, I called off the strike. The drone destruction caused no loss of life. So killing 150 would not be a proportionate response."

The above is a very close paraphrased quote. Upon my initial hearing of it, I was struck by his emphasis on "I" and the impression that he indicated that those advising generals were ready to kill, but "I" Donald Trump called it off. (Trump has previously issued statements denigrating the Generals.) It strikes me that is something, conferences on military strikes, that should not be revealed in that finger-pointing manner.?? Plus, what goes on in "strike discussions" is none of the general population's business. So from now on, are the generals going to be focused on how to not get embarrassed by their president's next media reveal? -- diminishing their focus from military strategy?

Am I overreacting? Discuss please.

#1 rogdochar, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  2. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR Deep Behind Enemy Lines
    Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,919
    Ratings:
    +2,956 / -330
    What should he have done?

He's damned no matter what he decides.

I am either for surgical strikes, special OPs...take out key players and facilities OR you go to Congress and go ALL IN. And if you go ALL IN....PAVE THE PLACE.

• Politigator

Politigator L-boy's Cousin
      BANNED

Oxbucks:
      $982
      Ratings:
      +991 / -1,489
      This is what he does. All victories are due to him. All problems are somebody else's fault. He attacks pretty much all of the institutions that hold the country together.

I had read the military brass was not keen on this attack but Bolton and Pompeo were pushing it.

Trump is a complete idiot if he was surprised a military attack would have collateral damage.

• Like Like x 2
      • Drunk Drunk x 2
      • Stoned Stoned x 1
      • WTF? WTF? x 1
      • List
      • Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member
        Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,216
        Ratings:
        +1,226 / -63
        I am a part time career combat arms officer.

What Trump did was ok by me. Generals do not get to decide when or who to strike. Their job is to execute the order coming ultimately from the POTUS. They advise, but it is still his decision.

150 loss of life is a lot of most likely innocent people who will die because Irans leader, or whoever made the decision to shoot down a drone, is an *******.

Years ago, we had a tank driver who ran over a car in Iraq just because it was funny. Should Iraqs response have been to kill x number of our Soldiers??

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $6,284
          Ratings:
          +12,777 / -122
          Some really stupid comments in here. Who the fk do you think holds the power to issue a “go/no go” order? Just who the fk would have to give approval to strike or not strike?

The POTUS, that’s who.

Just like Oblammy & his devotees wanted to be sure they were clear that HE gave the go ahead to execute the raid on OsamaBL’s compound.

Trump reigned back and used discretion when he could easily have laid waste to so much with justification. But you still can’t bear to say anything remotely good about him. Always trying to denigrate him no matter what he does......no matter what. Ever.

You’re fking mental.

The stupidity is so thick sometimes. Thanks for helping me to realize that the left is truly insane & should be shunned like the plague they are.

• Born2beagator

Born2beagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $692
            Ratings:
            +942 / -42
            I don't think rog is left?

Anyways...what trump did was very presidential. And democrats are in a pickle because if they come after him...suddenly they are warhawks

• Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
              $4,382
              Ratings:
              +8,437 / -315
              The General might not have thought this was a wise move and maybe thought due to the group think he should give that number up so quickly when asked and not lowball it.

Hard to say. Was it General Dunford?

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
              $2,437
              Ratings:
              +3,701 / -321
              I understand that the president really does not want a war and probably does not want to kill anybody. He promised to keep us out of such situations so that probably was part of the decision. For myself I would want a much more far reaching reaction, since getting 'even' is not instructive, you need to get ahead, far ahead.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $8,712
                Ratings:
                +15,021 / -210
                Now, now this is just Trump stumping his toe verbally. Let's not overlook that he vetoed a war-like action. That's of far bigger merit than his verbal gaff is a demerit. It just gives Iran's top brass longer to sweat our response. Down the road stricter sanctions may collapse the whole dictatorship theocracy without any killing or "war-posture" entanglements.

Because we haven't fired our response, there is more time for a brilliant tactic from us, from Trump?
                if Trump had struck, right now, the airways would be dark and stormy as we would be enduring a hailstorm of how unreasonably hawkish America is. We'd be wading through a sewer of articles against Bolton, Pompeo ... etc.

Inactivating the air-strike was a really good tactics - keep 'em guessing and stressed by doing nothing = good bargain there.

I just thought Trump could have said publicly "We were all ready to strike. I then asked about casualties. They said 150. I called off the strike because it's not proportional to killing an unmanned drone." My post never questioned Presidential authority since the term "throw under the bus" is about verbage.

In case I've created doubt = I'd say Trump has been our greatest President. No politician keeps promises like Trump has already done, dragging along the most seditious Congress to oppose accomplishments. Be great if they allow him his "free-swinging" wand after he wins 2020. To really think about it, I would not protest if we changed the law and let Trump win more terms as long as America is soaring in prosperity and smarts. Sorry, if I gave an anti-Trump impression.

#9 rogdochar, Jun 21, 2019
              • itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $6,284
                Ratings:
                +12,777 / -122
                My comment was directed squarely at l-boi.

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member
                  Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                  $4,405
                  Ratings:
                  +5,102 / -377
                  I wish Bush had tossed a couple of the WoMD generals under the bus. A lot of Americans would still be alive and we would be in much better shape in the Middle East.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Drunk Drunk x 1
                  • List
                  • G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator Intrepid Chauvinist

Oxbucks:
                    $1,756
                    Ratings:
                    +1,781 / -70
                    "Trump is a complete idiot if he was surprised a military attack would have collateral damage"? Haha!! Seems to me that only a complete idiot, ironically, would make a statement like that.

Look no further than the incident at issue: Iran launched a missile at a U.S. drone and shot it down. Was anyone killed? No. Was any property damaged other than the drone itself? No. So there's a perfect example of a military attack with no collateral damage. The proportional response would be to do something comparable back to them.

It's safe to say that President Trump asked for suggestions for how to respond, and the plan his military advisers came up with was most likely to attack the site where the Iranian anti-aircraft missile was launched at the drone. Sounds reasonable enough. But then the President asks, will anyone get killed? The generals acknowledge the possibility of as many as 150 casualties in the vicinity of the launcher. So the President says nahhhhh, it's not worth risking 150 lives over an unmanned drone.

It was a sensible act of restraint by the President, showing himself to be the complete opposite of the irrational, reckless hothead that his detractors make him out to be. But they will never admit to being wrong about him.

Let's not forget that the D in TDS stands for derangement. People who suffer from it cannot think straight, and this incident with the drone is a textbook example of it. There is no possible action or inaction that President Trump could take in this scenario that they would not criticize.

Allow me to demonstrate.

@Politigator, or any other anti-Trumper in this forum, please lay out a scenario for how the situation in Iran could play out that would result in you conceding that President Trump handled it well.

My first bet is that you won't be willing to do it, because you don't want to forfeit the right to attack or ridicule him no matter what he does or does not do. Or as a fallback option I bet that if you do say how you'd prefer to see things go, and then it ends up happening just like that, you still won't admit that the President did a good job.

• Born2beagator

Born2beagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                      $692
                      Ratings:
                      +942 / -42
                      I saw democrats saying he should have not revealed that.

Of course, because they have no way to go after him for that. It was a genius move by trump

• G. Gordon Gator

Oxbucks:
                        $1,756
                        Ratings:
                        +1,781 / -70
                        Please give us the name(s) of the general(s) supposedly "thrown under the bus" by President Trump. Or alternatively, admit that nobody got thrown under the bus. One or the other.

• rogdochar

rogdochar Senior Member
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $8,712
                          Ratings:
                          +15,021 / -210
                          Names are irrelevant. Saying a coach threw his team under the bus doesn't require me to name the players.

Early on in 2017, Trump said something like "I don't need briefings every morning. I'm smarter than the generals. I've got a brain." To me that was humorous. Plus, we need a leader who can think for himself.
                          I am surprised that my "throwaway tweak" on political utterance unfolded to somewhat combative debate?? Sorry, but it struck me that he could have said it better as regards the others on his team.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Your mother makes me sammiches
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $41,188
                          Ratings:
                          +65,822 / -2,971
                          You know we have plans to bomb or invade Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, England, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Virgin Islands, and Rhode Island somewhere within the Pentagon, right?

The Pentagon just dusts off those plans, updates them, and executes when and if the Commander in Chief says.

It took 6-9 months (depending on whom you believe) to get Obama to smoke Bin Ladin. They are used to having to convince the CIC and sometimes getting turned down. They also arent the only ones advising the CIC.

#16 Swamp Donkey, Jun 21, 2019
                          • stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $4,780
                            Ratings:
                            +10,754 / -1,255
                            This is the area I agree with DT. He actually realizes our never ending wars in the ME is insane. I can handle his pompous nonsense when he makes these kinds of decisions. This middle east blsshhtt is and has been a clsterphk for a long time now..........btw I heard that drone cost 100 million.........Jesus Christ I want some stocks in that company

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $7,343
                              Ratings:
                              +15,696 / -141
                              As a former military officer, it never occurred to me that what Trump did today was throwing the Generals under the bus. Geez.

The decision to attack another country is a foreign policy decision. The military doesn't make foreign policy decisions. They figure out how to attack the enemy when the civilians in charge order them to do so.

• G. Gordon Gator

Oxbucks:
                                $1,756
                                Ratings:
                                +1,781 / -70
                                No, you wouldn't necessarily have to name the players in that scenario, as long as you quoted whatever the Coach said that caused you to accuse him of doing that. In context it would be easy enough to figure out which players he was talking about. But if the President says something about a general whose identity you have no way of knowing, then that general has not been thrown under any bus.

Not to mention, the President did not say anything bad or negative about any general, anyway. He said he was presented with a plan, most likely in response to his own request to be given options. He decided against going forward with the plan because he thought the punishment did not fit the crime. How is that throwing anyone under the bus, especially when there's no way to know who he was even talking about?

So to answer your question in the original post, yes, you are overreacting.

• Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $4,382
                                  Ratings:
                                  +8,437 / -315
                                  Does anyone find it strange that Iran starts this mess right after they huddled with John Kerry again?