Dinner time

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Flat iron steak, while not filet quality, is a versatile cut of steak. We use it for fajitas and pasta dishes. Tonight I marinated it in Dales, garlic salt and Lowry’s salt. Then pan fried in a hot cast iron skillet. When cut the right way it’s as good as some more expensive cuts. Too bad the price has gone up a lot on steaks.

6FAA55D1-F29D-4F4A-AE85-38BF502582C0.jpeg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Flat iron steak, while not fillet quality, is a versatile cut of steak. We use it for fajitas and pasta dishes. Tonight I marinaded it in Dales, garlic salt and Lowry’s salt. Then pan fried in a hot cast iron skillet. When cut the right way it’s as good as some more expensive cuts. Too bad the price has gone up a lot on steaks.

Nice looking meal CD. We’ve talked about it before, but flat iron is a great cut when done right. And yes, it’s no longer an inexpensive cut; haven’t seen it on sale since last summer. :(

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Nice looking meal CD. We’ve talked about it before, but flat iron is a great cut when done right. And yes, it’s no longer an inexpensive cut; haven’t seen it on sale since last summer. :(

Me either. When I first started buying it years ago it was under $5/lb. It’s $12 here at full price now but occasionally see if for $8 or $9. I like cooking with it more than top sirloin so I’ll buy several and freeze them when they do go on sale.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Oh..my tooth!!! Still waiting for the oral surgeon appt to pull it from fracturing it on fried shrimp after Christmas. That looks so good though.

I'll take my fried shrimp over any restaurant cooked shrimp any day. More meat than batter.....;)

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
What do you use for the batter?

2 eggs, AP flour, Garlic Powder, cayenne, milk. Wisk to a creamy texture. After dredging them in this mixture drop them in an Italian bread crumb and Panko mix and fry for no more than 2 minutes.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh..my tooth!!! Still waiting for the oral surgeon appt to pull it from fracturing it on fried shrimp after Christmas. That looks so good though.
I’ll bet y’all will clean them before frying next time (too much Christmas cheer ;))!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Penne with Italian sausage, spinach and tomatoes. Mrs G thought it had too much crushed red pepper, but I thought it was fine. (So next time less crushed red pepper….)
upload_2022-1-15_20-57-2.jpeg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hungarian Goulash on homemade spaetzle. I’ve posted this before, but I made some changes which seemed to improve the dish. I had a small boneless rib roast in the freezer that was starting to get some age, so I used that instead of a typical stewing cut. I also used organic onions - they were sold out of non-organic and smoked paprika. It all made for a better entree.
For the spaetzle, Mrs G. ground organic Kamut wheat into flour, which I used instead of standard bleached all purpose flour. It too made a big difference. Great comfort meal on a cold snowy night.
upload_2022-1-17_8-3-55.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hungarian Goulash on homemade spaetzle. I’ve posted this before, but I made some changes which seemed to improve the dish. I had a small boneless rib roast in the freezer that was starting to get some age, so I used that instead of a typical stewing cut. I also used organic onions - they were sold out of non-organic and smoked paprika. It all made for a better entree.
For the spaetzle, Mrs G. ground organic Kamut wheat into flour, which I used instead of standard bleached all purpose flour. It too made a big difference. Great comfort meal on a cold snowy night.

That looks really good, and perfect for the climate.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The pepper has been bothering me for a week now. I guess it reminds me of the Peyronie’s Disease commercial. And I liked elk…

Just to clarify any confusion, as you referenced this in the chat box yesterday, you understand I didn’t actually make that dish, right? I was at a restaurant, which is why I said I was cheating. You probably understood, but I’m just making sure.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It was nasty here yesterday; it couldn’t decide if it wanted to rain or snow. Finally became all snow, but not really cold enough to stick most places so just a general nuisance.

Yeah, tried taking kids to the park but it was constant intervals of light rain and cold wind. Winter finally showed up here and supposed to be consistent lows in the 30s the next week or so. That Florida meme about 60 degrees doesn’t really work north of Orlando, but hey, it helps the construction boom. :lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just to clarify any confusion, as you referenced this in the chat box yesterday, you understand I didn’t actually make that dish, right? I was at a restaurant, which is why I said I was cheating. You probably understood, but I’m just making sure.
To be honest, I overlooked the restaurant part and thought the pepper was an odd addition to your usually fantastic dishes. Never miss a chance to poke a fellow a Gator I guess. Anyway, it’s always a compliment to a guy’s virility when some sort of ghey inference is made. At least I’m pretty sure…

:)

Seriously, you might be the wittiest guy on the web, not relegated only to Chatter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.