Dinner time

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I bought a bushel from the farmers market today and I'm low on freezer room for 31 quqrts. that's the only reason I'm pressure cannning them

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Those will be great on game day!
I just cracked open a quart that was sealed and they are too mushy for me. I will have to modify the recipe and put in a extended heating period when I open them up to kill botulism. ::headslap:

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I just cracked open a quart that was sealed and they are too mushy for me. I will have to modify the recipe and put in a extended heating period when I open them up to kill botulism. ::headslap:
Ugh
Could you dry pack them to preserve them and then boil them again when opened?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ugh
Could you dry pack them to preserve them and then boil them again when opened?
Even when you pressure can the low acid fruit or vegetable it is recommended that you boil them for 10 minutes after you open the jar for botulism. Botulism is at home in a low acid . low oxygen environment. I said the peanuts were mushy but they're just like most people like them.

I been canning for 50 years I just never liked for the freezer space for peanuts

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Even when you pressure can the low acid fruit or vegetable it is recommended that you boil them for 10 minutes after you open the jar for botulism. Botulism is at home in a low acid . low oxygen environment. I said the peanuts were mushy but they're just like most people like them.

I been canning for 50 years I just never liked for the freezer space for peanuts
I could definitely learn a lot from you. My mom didn’t can but I do remember my dad’s parents having a pantry full of canned food.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I could definitely learn a lot from you. My mom didn’t can but I do remember my dad’s parents having a pantry full of canned food.
Because we had a large (28 cubic foot) freezer we only canned tomatoes (about 100 quarts ) and green beans (around 70 quarts) per year. But nearly anything you can think of it can be canned. We did can salsa and homemade tomato based soups yearly but stayed away from the meats and stuff mainly because we didn't have a supply large enough to demand canning?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I usually try to just post pictures of our own cooking, but occasionally I will post something from a restaurant if there was just something special about it.

Last month, Mrs G and I spent 11 days in Italy and had one amazing meal after another including one prepared by a Michelin 2* chef. We flew into Venice, but drove straight to Bologna. The next day we drove by a circuitous route to Assisi. We stayed there a couple of days before going to our ultimate destination of the Chianti region of Tuscany were we spent 6 days with some friends who had rented a villa there. We then spent a night in Padua to be close to the airport for our AM flight out of Venice the next day.

While no one was likely to think us locals in any of the cities we stayed in, taking pictures of our meals seemed way too touristy - though they were pretty much all photo worthy. In retrospect, I should have said “Who cares,” but in the moment it would have felt awkward. The one exception to this was a dinner we had in Assisi at a restaurant we discovered purely by chance. We did not realize it was built on the side of hill until we were taken to our table. The view below was so spectacular that pretty much everyone snapped a pic. You all can be the judges of whether that was Ok:

1690292690389.jpeg

1690292744153.jpeg

The steeple by the way is from the Basilica of San Francisco, the mother church of the Franciscans. For any architecture or art fans, it alone makes a stop in Assisi worthwhile

The dinner was excellent, but, obviously, the surroundings made for a fabulous experience. And since we were walking and not driving I allowed myself to be a bit over-served with local Umbrian wines.

First up was the Anti-pasto

1690293120908.jpeg
The secondi was potato gnocchi with butter and sage:
1690293235319.jpeg

The Primi Piatti was grilled sliced sirloin with a balsamic reduction sauce:
1690293333472.jpeg
All in all, one our most memorable meals.

Attachments

• 1690293049935.jpeg
    1690293049935.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 3

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I usually try to just post pictures of our own cooking, but occasionally I will post something from a restaurant if there was just something special about it.

Last month, Mrs G and I spent 11 days in Italy and had one amazing meal after another including one prepared by a Michelin 2* chef. We flew into Venice, but drove straight to Bologna. The next day we drove by a circuitous route to Assisi. We stayed there a couple of days before going to our ultimate destination of the Chianti region of Tuscany were we spent 6 days with some friends who had rented a villa there. We then spent a night in Padua to be close to the airport for our AM flight out of Venice the next day.

While no one was likely to think us locals in any of the cities we stayed in, taking pictures of our meals seemed way too touristy - though they were pretty much all photo worthy. In retrospect, I should have said “Who cares,” but in the moment it would have felt awkward. The one exception to this was a dinner we had in Assisi at a restaurant we discovered purely by chance. We did not realize it was built on the side of hill until we were taken to our table. The view below was so spectacular that pretty much everyone snapped a pic. You all can be the judges of whether that was Ok:

View attachment 59962

View attachment 59963

The steeple by the way is from the Basilica of San Francisco, the mother church of the Franciscans. For any architecture or art fans, it alone makes a stop in Assisi worthwhile

The dinner was excellent, but, obviously, the surroundings made for a fabulous experience. And since we were walking and not driving I allowed myself to be a bit over-served with local Umbrian wines.

View attachment 59965
View attachment 59966

View attachment 59967
There’s a freaking hair on that gnocchi plate. I hope you sent that schite back.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't believe the 40-minute canning time is about botulism but for personal preference taste I cut my recipe to the 20 minutes and the peanuts are perfect.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

View attachment 59962

View attachment 59963

View attachment 59965
View attachment 59966

View attachment 59967
Amazing!
Next time we need more pics or else it didn’t happen.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

View attachment 59962

View attachment 59963

View attachment 59965
View attachment 59966

View attachment 59967

I did not know they had food and scenery like that in Venice.

You are talking about Venice, LA and taking your wife fishing correct?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
IMG_3035.jpeg

What do you do when you have a boat-load of tomatoes? Look up recipes using them! Chicken, orzo and spinach in a chicken broth and cream sauce.

Seedy: “not even yucky”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator