Dinner time

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
With the extra time on my hands, I started a little small garden. Something I put down for a while but wanted to get back into. I have 9 tomato plants, ranging from Beefsteak to Better Boys and two types of salad tomatoes, Husky Cherry Reds and Pear tomatoes. The Husky’s are the first to ripen and have a great acid burst to them. All the others have set fruit and are just beginning to ripen. I’m looking forward to the fresh tomatoes for the next 3-4 weeks. I’m ashamed I haven’t gotten back into the garden before now. It has been fairly easy once I got the bed ready. Water early and late, a little fertilizer, and some Sevin for the stink bugs. If you like good tomatoes and can spare the time, it’s a worthwhile undertaking.

My wife and I did the same...she calls it our Covid Garden. :rolleyes3: We had a small area of our back yard where the grass wasn't doing too well anyway, so we converted it to a little garden. We planted two Better Boys, some cucumbers, a couple zucchini, a green pepper plant, strawberries, and some herbs (rosemary, oregano, mint, basil, cilantro, Italian parsley, and basil). We live in an area with a TON of deer, but apparently, they hate the smells of rosemary and mint, so they act as natural deterrents. So far, so good...

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My wife and I did the same...she calls it our Covid Garden. :rolleyes3: We had a small area of our back yard where the grass wasn't doing too well anyway, so we converted it to a little garden. We planted two Better Boys, some cucumbers, a couple zucchini, a green pepper plant, strawberries, and some herbs (rosemary, oregano, mint, basil, cilantro, Italian parsley, and basil). We live in an area with a TON of deer, but apparently, they hate the smells of rosemary and mint, so they act as natural deterrents. So far, so good...
I hope you didn’t plant that mint directly in the ground with your other herbs and vegetables.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
F48D5AD2-B482-4CCB-A43B-EABE2F42135A.jpeg

Starting out with the skirt steak, marinated in soy, lime juice, cilantro, evo, cumin, salt and pepper most of the day. Made some fresh pico and daughter made guacamole...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
E421BCC7-08B4-4D39-825A-F9A358617A6F.jpeg

...carne on top of Spanish rice and black beans topped with the pico and guacamole and we were set. The Corona went along nicely. Put on a little Freddie Fender (an old drunk buddy used to like when he would “sing in Mexican”) and Cinco de Mayo will have been properly celebrated.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Adelita looks like my ol 1/2 mex tramp from Richmond Hill.
dc350a45db20bdc3cabe581ba2ce9342.jpg

As to my nod to the 5th of May, I was already browning some smoked neckbone and onions gettin ready for some pintos I soaked over night when Momma came in and was wanting some beef nachos. I passed and made some cornbread to go with the beans. I guess it would pass for Frijoles de Olla.

Last edited:

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
I hope you didn’t plant that mint directly in the ground with your other herbs and vegetables.

Mint will take over your garden. But it smells good when you mow it.

The mint is in the ground, but it’s spaced far enough away (I hope) from the rest of the herbs and vegetables. It’s also in a very tight space bordered by the house on one side and some decorative border rocks on the other, so hopefully it will be contained.

Not only does it smell great, but it’s been nice every day to walk out and cut some to use in my drink of the day. It was mojitos today. Mmmm they were good.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The mint is in the ground, but it’s spaced far enough away (I hope) from the rest of the herbs and vegetables. It’s also in a very tight space bordered by the house on one side and some decorative border rocks on the other, so hopefully it will be contained.

Not only does it smell great, but it’s been nice every day to walk out and cut some to use in my drink of the day. It was mojitos today. Mmmm they were good.
You’re fu(ked. The house will push it away so you will see it up through the rocks and the rest of the garden.

If you have time, and it’s early, get a larger coffee can and bury it under ground then plant the mint inside the can. That will keep the shooters from growing.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Post Cinco de Mayo tune. Reminds em of courting and Tequila.

*At the :43 mark, Freddie starts singing in Mexican. Let the romance begin.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
View attachment 21500

...carne on top of Spanish rice and black beans topped with the pico and guacamole and we were set. The Corona went along nicely. Put on a little Freddie Fender (an old drunk buddy used to like when he would “sing in Mexican”) and Cinco de Mayo will have been properly celebrated.

Nice cover 2. I made nachos . They were okay . I ran out of beer so a trip to the liquor store is in order .

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Post Cinco de Mayo tune. Reminds em of courting and Tequila.

*At the :43 mark, Freddie starts singing in Mexican. Let the romance begin.

Not gonna lie, that's bout what my hair looks like these days.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not gonna lie, that's bout what my hair looks like these days.
You coulda done some damage at Sid’s or the American Legion dance back in the ‘70’s with a ‘do like Freddie’s.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You guys need to take an hour out of your day and pay homage to the gods of the pit. This is a really well produced special of a trip through what I consider a fantasy land of southern barbecue hosted by a real southern woman who by makes you feel like family on this trip. It makes you realize there are hundreds of these screen door joints throughout the south, all with their own angle on cooking meat over coals. I did this once on a business trip from Atlanta up to Virginia and hit maybe 10 spots on my route. Old school Florida is well represented in this program.
Click preview then click Watch Full Length
Somewhere South | How Do You ‘Cue?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You guys need to take an hour out of your day and pay homage to the gods of the pit. This is a really well produced special of a trip through what I consider a fantasy land of southern barbecue hosted by a real southern woman who by makes you feel like family on this trip. It makes you realize there are hundreds of these screen door joints throughout the south, all with their own angle on cooking meat over coals. I did this once on a business trip from Atlanta up to Virginia and hit maybe 10 spots on my route. Old school Florida is well represented in this program.
Click preview then click Watch Full Length
Somewhere South | How Do You ‘Cue?
Coot, that was worth the watch. I personally enjoy the whole hog barbecue when I can get it. Got a cousin in Crawfordville that fattens one up and cooks it in the ground on the Saturday we play LSU. None of his bunch eats it with sauce, and it is pretty dang good by itself. But I always bring a jar of homemade Luten’s sauce (an old BBQ joint in Quincy) and we make ourselves sick. The guy in the film is dead on about mixing the meats from different locations for the best flavor.

The smoked mullet hit home, too. Granddaddy used to net them on St. George island before it became so touristy. We fried most of what he caught, but he’d smoke several on an old drum smoker. They didn’t last long. We’d eat ‘em for breakfast like was mentioned on the show and I don’t know if that might not have been when they were at their best. I also don’t recall breaking their necks the times I went, but I believe my old cuz does it.

I have to admit that I was a little lost with the Japanese BBQ. I don’t believe I’ve ever eat BBQ with chop sticks. Some of the meat looked good, but I don’t know about eating it with noodles. I think I’ll stick to cornbread or light bread a la Dreamland (where there’s no fartin allowed!).

This was a good find and appreciate you sharing it. I wouldn’t mind trying one of those tours you mention. I’ve had quite a bit from Montgomery to Birmingham that was good, just not in the same stretch.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coot, that was worth the watch. I personally enjoy the whole hog barbecue when I can get it. Got a cousin in Crawfordville that fattens one up and cooks it in the ground on the Saturday we play LSU. None of his bunch eats it with sauce, and it is pretty dang good by itself. But I always bring a jar of homemade Luten’s sauce (an old BBQ joint in Quincy) and we make ourselves sick. The guy in the film is dead on about mixing the meats from different locations for the best flavor.

The smoked mullet hit home, too. Granddaddy used to net them on St. George island before it became so touristy. We fried most of what he caught, but he’d smoke several on an old drum smoker. They didn’t last long. We’d eat ‘em for breakfast like was mentioned on the show and I don’t know if that might not have been when they were at their best. I also don’t recall breaking their necks the times I went, but I believe my old cuz does it.

I have to admit that I was a little lost with the Japanese BBQ. I don’t believe I’ve ever eat BBQ with chop sticks. Some of the meat looked good, but I don’t know about eating it with noodles. I think I’ll stick to cornbread or light bread a la Dreamland (where there’s no fartin allowed!).

This was a good find and appreciate you sharing it. I wouldn’t mind trying one of those tours you mention. I’ve had quite a bit from Montgomery to Birmingham that was good, just not in the same stretch.

Glad you took the time out from renovating that deck of yours to watch it ;). When I actually had a real job we did a lot of business in SC and my partner bought an old house on front row at Edisto Island. We wound up rezoning a commercial piece for condos on the island and our broker was a one-eyed Clemson boy that was raised on the island. We brought some of the hands from the office there for a long weekend and Cecil (broker) brought his big cooker over, set it up on the deck and cooked a whole hog for us with a salt pepper and vinegar sop. We sat out there all night looking at the moon on the ocean, drinking whisky and beer and watching that hog cook slow. I always use a red sauce so this was a little different but man was that good. Later on the trip up to Virginia I mentioned we sampled some of the same vinegar basted pork. We had some time while there and went and ogled Monticello. Beautiful state.

I always loved smoked mullet and when we were lucky enough to get some bigger ones with some fat we'd fry em up. Chicken of the sea. Theres a Smoked mullet festival down in Terra Ceia in Manatee sometime in November I may try to make this year.

I found the history around the cracker cows real interesting.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Very interesting video. Some of the best whole hog I ever had came from just stacks of concrete blocks, rebar and some tin on top. Sold my trailer propane tank pit a few years back and I do miss it, except the all nighters. I just can’t get good Q off a little pellet grill. Going to have to get a small stick burner. But it is convenient.

lots of lies were told sitting around the pit sippin good brown liquor :) with friends.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_0437.JPG

Jambalaya

Shrimp wasn’t on sale so I opted against it . I knew it wouldn’t turn out quite as good without the shrimp , but still was left underwhelmed . It’s an absolute
must for this one . The peppers and sausage only take it so far .

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn’t refuse a dish of it. Sausage and peppers, however you have them, is a good combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.