Dinner time

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trying my hand tonight at some Golabkis. Have no idea how it's gonna be. kto do cholery wie?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I wouldn’t refuse a dish of it. Sausage and peppers, however you have them, is a good combo.

Give me sausage, onions and a few peppers, with a light tomato sauce on a good Chicago Italian, and I’m happy.

Happy to see GB25 isn’t the only one disappointed. My wife was making martinis and trying to entertain a friend and her kids who hadn’t been out in 2 months, and ended up overcooking the filets. Pan seared with butter and thyme, so there’s that. But not our best efforts in this regard.

Charles Krug never disappoints though.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0446.JPG

Filet medium rare , garlic mashed

Carnivor Cab
Outstanding all the way around

IMG_0442.JPG

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What about Mother’s Day breakfast I made for my wife.. I know.... she’s not my momma but she deserves it. Mimosas are next.

fresh baked biscuits crumbled on the bottom, italian breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs with heavy whipping cream, little shredded sharp cheddar, and some country gravy on top. Splash of tobasco on mine.
96668925-5980-4B7F-B64B-067E70438BED.jpeg

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

We have those same green and orange plastic cups.:lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What about Mother’s Day breakfast I made for my wife.. I know.... she’s not my momma but she deserves it. Mimosas are next.

fresh baked biscuits crumbled on the bottom, italian breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs with heavy mixing cream, little shredded sharp cheddar, and some country gravy on top. Splash of tobasco on mine.
View attachment 21586
“Yes Sir!” (Verne Lundquist/‘86 Masters)

You are the man.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mother’s Day celebrated at Lake Seminole. My wife of 29 years, mother to my two kids, and my mom, 81 and still kicking, are the guests of honor. Just a good ol’ country meal...

0409BFEB-ABAF-48A3-843F-822A3BE4AA6C.jpeg

...fresh Beefstake tomato, cucumber in white vinegar, fresh Meyer lemon for the tea and a pie made by my daughter.

A0221FF6-5B85-422A-A31A-28ED3AF30323.jpeg

The main course. Bottom Round roast and fresh new potatoes slow cooked in gravy, roasted cauliflower with parmigiana, butter beans, and deviled eggs.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was a good day. All that was missing was the fine china. After lunch we sat out back and enjoyed a little breeze rustling through the cattails and the cypress. Got some good visiting in. Thank goodness for Mom’s. In truth every day ought to be their day.

5CD00AE6-58A0-484F-96EC-296E2B107329.jpeg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Trying my hand tonight at some Golabkis. Have no idea how it's gonna be. kto do cholery wie?
How’d your dish turn out? I had to Google to find out that it was a stuffed cabbage dish. I’ve seen them do it on the cooking shows where they stuff the parboiled leaves with a ground pork mixture, stack the little rolls in a restaurant pan, smother with a tomato sauce, and then cook covered in the oven until the meat gets done. We enjoy corned beef and cabbage and this sounds like a sort of Polish version.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mother’s Day celebrated at Lake Seminole. My wife of 29 years, mother to my two kids, and my mom, 81 and still kicking, are the guests of honor. Just a good ol’ country meal...

...fresh Beefstake tomato, cucumber in white vinegar, fresh Meyer lemon for the tea and a pie made by my daughter.

The main course. Bottom Round roast and fresh new potatoes slow cooked in gravy, roasted cauliflower with parmigiana, butter beans, and deviled eggs.
All that minus your stinking tomato. Miss the cucumbers in vinegar and butter beans. Come to think of it, I might have to do some beets in vinegar soon.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't listen to @NVGator , basturd grew a bunch of tomatoes last summer. He told me his aversion to tomatoes was an allergic reaction that caused a rash on his little pecker but we all know that's caused from "rough handlin". :lol:
The golabkis (pronounced golumpki) turned out pretty good. I ate the last 3 today for lunch. Ground beef, onions, and rice rolled in parboiled cabbage leaves and baked in a tomato based sauce. The sauce was a litte weak for me so I added some ghost pepper sauce. I used the broth off the cabbage with tomato sauce and a pork seasoning cause I didn't have any bone broth. I think consomme' would have been much better.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't listen to @NVGator , basturd grew a bunch of tomatoes last summer. He told me his aversion to tomatoes was an allergic reaction that caused a rash on his little pecker but we all know that's caused from "rough handlin". :lol:
The golabkis (pronounced golumpki) turned out pretty good. I ate the last 3 today for lunch. Ground beef, onions, and rice rolled in parboiled cabbage leaves and baked in a tomato based sauce. The sauce was a litte weak for me so I added some ghost pepper sauce. I used the broth off the cabbage with tomato sauce and a pork seasoning cause I didn't have any bone broth. I think consomme' would have been much better.
I said a rash on my massive pecker.

I grow matters, got some going now. Wife loves them. I enjoy growing them, just never liked eating them. Ever.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I said a rash on my massive pecker.

I grow matters, got some going now. Wife loves them. I enjoy growing them, just never liked eating them. Ever.
Coot, the Polish cabbage sounds like one to try. I’m like you, I like a little bit of a bite in tomato sauces. Sounds like you’re about as comfortable in the kitchen as you are at the construction site.

I understand about you and tomatoes NV. Some people just don’t like the textural feel of the raw fruit. I’ll bet you like them in sauces though. Now about your pee-boy. Little or massive, it’s high time you quit treating it like a ride at the amusement park. It wouldn’t do to have the kids walk in on you. It’d be hard to explain and most certainly would come up around family :)

Man, you guys are a mess!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 21593

View attachment 21594

Very nice cover 2 . I hope it was a wonderful day for your 81 years young mother . What is for dinner tonight ?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_0454.JPG

Keeping it simple tonight
Pimento cheeseburger and matching fries
I prefer to grate sharp cheddar and Parmesan
for my PC.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Interesting. I eat tomatoes, especially cooked down. But the smell of the plants makes me almost nauseous. Mainly because when I was a kid, my mother would make us get up early on summer mornings and drive to the next town over where a farm allowed you to pick for free until a certain point in the morning(I assume that was actually the arrangement. We may have just been stealing and early morning provided the perfect cover, for all I know). But in any event, it sucked, it was hot, there were rotten tomatoes on the ground, and the whole place stunk. But, hey, the quicker we finished, the quicker we could get back home and spend the afternoon helping her begin blanching and canning them for sauce. Hooray for summer.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Very nice cover 2 . I hope it was a wonderful day for your 81 years young mother . What is for dinner tonight ?
Thanks GB. She still drives (and safely I might add) so she had fun tooling up to the lake and talking old family history. She brought a cold oven pound cake to go along with dessert. We enjoy getting to spend time with her.

Didn’t take any pics this evening, but we had pan fried okra (prepared in bacon drippings), oven roasted broccoli, fresh dug potatoes baked, grilled boneless chicken thighs (soaked all day in Italian dressing), and some smoked sausage thrown on the grill for good measure. I’m gone during the day, so our big meal is at supper time. To offset the bacon drippings used on the okra, we had fresh fruit for a dessert...strawberries, grapes, and some oranges we are still picking off one of the three trees in the yard.

That is a fine looking burger and fries, my man. I’m a pimento cheese junkie anyway and fresh grated sharp cheddar is the way to go. We do like @AuggieDosta says sometimes and mix a little cream cheese with it. We also like a touch of cayenne.

This a great thread. I’m glad you started it and I hope it continues.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting. I eat tomatoes, especially cooked down. But the smell of the plants makes me almost nauseous. Mainly because when I was a kid, my mother would make us get up early on summer mornings and drive to the next town over where a farm allowed you to pick for free until a certain point in the morning(I assume that was actually the arrangement. We may have just been stealing and early morning provided the perfect cover, for all I know). But in any event, it sucked, it was hot, there were rotten tomatoes on the ground, and the whole place stunk. But, hey, the quicker we finished, the quicker we could get back home and spend the afternoon helping her begin blanching and canning them for sauce. Hooray for summer.
I feel ya SoFl. I spent a bunch of time growing up picking vegetables, usually after working in tobacco all day. The summer after I graduated from HS, I worked at a tomato packing house. I loaded the semis by hand, the boxes had to be stacked a certain way so the refrigerated air reached all the boxes. We’d load the trucks with green tomatoes and they’d gas them overnight so they’d be ripe upon delivery. I hated the smell around that place and wouldn’t eat anything but a garden tomato for a while after that experience.

I know you just loved getting your hands and clothes stained by the plants. Not to mention wet feet and pants from slogging through the fields. At least you didn’t mention having to go to a canning plant to put up the tomatoes. I had to go with my grandmother when she canned before I got old enough to work. It was hotter than a blast furnace with several of those industrial size pressure cookers going strong. Almost couldn’t wait to go back to school.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb