Dinner time

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks GB. She still drives (and safely I might add) so she had fun tooling up to the lake and talking old family history. She brought a cold oven pound cake to go along with dessert. We enjoy getting to spend time with her.

Didn’t take any pics this evening, but we had pan fried okra (prepared in bacon drippings), oven roasted broccoli, fresh dug potatoes baked, grilled boneless chicken thighs (soaked all day in Italian dressing), and some smoked sausage thrown on the grill for good measure. I’m gone during the day, so our big meal is at supper time. To offset the bacon drippings used on the okra, we had fresh fruit for a dessert...strawberries, grapes, and some oranges we are still picking off one of the three trees in the yard.

That is a fine looking burger and fries, my man. I’m a pimento cheese junkie anyway and fresh grated sharp cheddar is the way to go. We do like @AuggieDosta says sometimes and mix a little cream cheese with it. We also like a touch of cayenne.

This a great thread. I’m glad you started it and I hope it continues.

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it . I don’t know what it is about the Italian dressing soaking in chicken but I’ve been using it for years , and it’s always delicious . Great way of adding flavor while keeping a tender bird . The sausage and Okra sounds great as well.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't ever have to pick tomatoes as a kid but I did do a stint at what they used to call the Blue J when I was 17. Judge Santoro didn't find a lot of humor with an aspiring comic in his courtroom so he gave me a little vacation walking rows with a sack pulling corn for the hogs.

Sunday I bought a hen and planned to make a pot of chicken and dumplings but didn't get to it til last night. They turned out great but got started late and didn't eat til after 9. I skimmed the fat off the chicken stock and worked it into the flour then used some of the stock for liquid to make the flat dumplings. Had leftovers today for lunch.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I feel ya SoFl. I spent a bunch of time growing up picking vegetables, usually after working in tobacco all day. The summer after I graduated from HS, I worked at a tomato packing house. I loaded the semis by hand, the boxes had to be stacked a certain way so the refrigerated air reached all the boxes. We’d load the trucks with green tomatoes and they’d gas them overnight so they’d be ripe upon delivery. I hated the smell around that place and wouldn’t eat anything but a garden tomato for a while after that experience.

I know you just loved getting your hands and clothes stained by the plants. Not to mention wet feet and pants from slogging through the fields. At least you didn’t mention having to go to a canning plant to put up the tomatoes. I had to go with my grandmother when she canned before I got old enough to work. It was hotter than a blast furnace with several of those industrial size pressure cookers going strong. Almost couldn’t wait to go back to school.

Oh no, my friend. Somehow she finagled use of my elementary school kitchen for that. So while I said “home” what I really meant was going to the school I attended and spending hours there blanching and canning in front of my peers. They were in summer school, and I’m not sure I wouldn’t have traded places. She also made me shell peas and beans. Never knew where those actually came from, and no way in hell was I going to ask.:lol:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't ever have to pick tomatoes as a kid but I did do a stint at what they used to call the Blue J when I was 17. Judge Santoro didn't find a lot of humor with an aspiring comic in his courtroom so he gave me a little vacation walking rows with a sack pulling corn for the hogs.

Sunday I bought a hen and planned to make a pot of chicken and dumplings but didn't get to it til last night. They turned out great but got started late and didn't eat til after 9. I skimmed the fat off the chicken stock and worked it into the flour then used some of the stock for liquid to make the flat dumplings. Had leftovers today for lunch.
Pulling corn. Seems like that ought to entitle you to honorary Haitian citizenship. Going old school with the dumplings is 4 star all day. Did you add some boiled egg? That was always the piece de resistance when my mom made them.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh no, my friend. Somehow she finagled use of my elementary school kitchen for that. So while I said “home” what I really meant was going to the school I attended and spending hours there blanching and canning in front of my peers. They were in summer school, and I’m not sure I wouldn’t have traded places. She also made me shell peas and beans. Never knew where those actually came from, and no way in hell was I going to ask.:lol:
Shelling > Picking. On the farm I grew up working on in the summers, Granddaddy would plant 6 rows of peas the length of the property. 4 rows would be white acres and 2 would be purple hull. They'd be ready to pick during tobacco season, so me and 5 other hands would have to stay after work and pick a row each before we could go home. It was tough on your back, especially when you'd just finished 8 hours in the tobacco field. But we got to enjoy them all winter and my grandma, mama and my aunt shelled every one we brought home (we sold some as well at the farmer's market). We don't grow them anymore, but usually buy 3-4 hampers shelled each year and put them up. We're lucky to have a good produce stand close by in Calvary Ga and we also buy from the farmer's market in Thomasville. Dolly Parton had a song that reminded me of those times...

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pulling corn. Seems like that ought to entitle you to honorary Haitian citizenship. Going old school with the dumplings is 4 star all day. Did you add some boiled egg? That was always the piece de resistance when my mom made them.

I never had boiled egg in c&d but it seems like a natural...kind of from the beginning till the end. I had to look it up and got this. Is this how it's done or is it broken up into the broth? I'll have to try that next time I make them.

hqdefault.jpg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I never had boiled egg in c&d but it seems like a natural...kind of from the beginning till the end. I had to look it up and got this. Is this how it's done or is it broken up into the broth? I'll have to try that next time I make them.

hqdefault.jpg
Always had them sliced or chunked, never whole like the picture shows. The yolks seem to add a little thickening to the broth. It's usually a race between the kids and me to see who can get the eggs when we have it nowadays. My missus doesn't like boiled eggs and isn't crazy about the dumplings. I did a background check on her.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Old school , the fresh killed hen might an egg or two in the development stage and grandmother included them in the broth.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
7BDDA830-D050-472E-BF5A-B0F53FFCD491.jpeg CB8456F4-3036-455C-9558-2B2FA1101C79.jpeg A798EC00-8DF0-4D2A-83CE-96A02EA46464.jpeg
Skirt steak in garlic, ginger, lime, pepper flake marinade with roasted GB

Jerk chicken thighs with zucchini

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@G8trwood we must be on the same channel. Wife went to Jones Meats and got skirt steak and also picked up fresh green beans at the produce place. Looking forward to fixing them with some fresh new potatoes after seeing what you put forth. Looks great!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I see you managed to get some decent grill marks on that piece of tough-ass round steak.

Surf & Turf without some lousy nasty ass mealy tomato bullschît. Looking at you @crosscreekcooter and @cover2

I had a half dozen vine ripe sweet 100's tonight with some baby backs limas and collard greens. Those things were so sweet and juicy they reminded me of your first love.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see you managed to get some decent grill marks on that piece of round steak.

I had a half dozen vine ripe sweet 100's tonight with some baby backs limas and collard greens. Those things were so sweet and juicy they reminded me of your first love.
Get out of here with your round steak. That’s dry aged boneless ribeye.

As for limas and and collards, I’m in. You add any datil sauce to them?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Get out of here with your round steak. That’s dry aged boneless ribeye.

As for limas and and collards, I’m in. You add any datil sauce to them?

I am out, but made a batch of ghost sauce with the same recipe. I have a bunch of datils should be ripe in a couple weeks.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Surf & Turf without some lousy nasty ass mealy tomato bullschît. Looking at you @crosscreekcooter and @cover2
Man that all looks good! I was thinking though, how good those swimps would be if you chopped the asparagus and sautéed them with some tomatoes in a lemon butter and garlic reduction and tossed them in with some perfectly al dente angel hair pasta. Quartering up a handful of the cherry reds would elevate the meal from the Sizzler up to Ruth’s Chris :)

All funnin’ aside, that’s a fine meal you got there, cowboy.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tomatoes along with the Lima’s is an old favorite. The collards added is just showing off. Only trouble I can see is between the Lima’s and collards, your boudoir must’ve sounded like the canonade in Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture last evening.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tomatoes along with the Lima’s is an old favorite. The collards added is just showing off. Only trouble I can see is between the Lima’s and collards, your boudoir must’ve sounded like the canonade in Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture last evening.

The neighbors commented that they thought General Beauregard ordered the resumption of the bombardment of Fort Sumter.:boom:

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
f373661982e04038bc5ffc8af3d9968e.file

233c2b39338b0c8423f1f8e83f5b8d6d.file

7272bc546aab84157e07fdf2ec0be62b.file

2f83ea94e0aff5c0e5bdaec7c31b6b7e.file

4f053cdf787e108b94602bdffaa8ab39.file

First time trying to make burnt ends which is by far my favorite piece of BBQ. Still got some work to do but turned out very solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.