Dinner time

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Had my first sous vide tonight. Some friends had my wife and I over for our anniversary and used it. Filet, basil infused mashed potatoes with parsley and roasted carrots.

How’d you like your steak? I’ve heard a lot of people like the souls vide. I just don’t know why I’d start cooking a steak 3 or 4 hours before searing it.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
upload_2021-1-24_17-2-8.jpeg
Marinated Flat Iron steak from the egg with twice baked potatoes.
(Wine was the current available vintage of a Argentine Cab I’ve mentioned before: Tapiz. An excellent cab and highly recommended.)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How’d you like your steak? I’ve heard a lot of people like the souls vide. I just don’t know why I’d start cooking a steak 3 or 4 hours before searing it.

As I said, first time having it. So while it was great, the friend is also basically a chef, so not sure if it was that specific preparation or just him. So like you, I’m not sure it’s worth all the extra work and steps. Was great though. In true steak house fashion, honestly the sides were kind of the star.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Marinated Flat Iron steak from the egg with twice baked potatoes.
(Wine was the current available vintage of a Argentine Cab I’ve mentioned before: Tapiz. An excellent cab and highly recommended.)

I need to try that wine. I’m probably an outlier in this, but cuts like this, flank and skirt are my favorite beef. Obviously needs more seasoning and preparation work than something like a filet, but I’ll take that plate over just about anything. Looks incredible.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As I said, first time having it. So while it was great, the friend is also basically a chef, so not sure if it was that specific preparation or just him. So like you, I’m not sure it’s worth all the extra work and steps. Was great though. In true steak house fashion, honestly the sides were kind of the star.
You seem angry tonight. I know you said it was your first time having it. I was mentioning people I know, who aren’t basically chef’s like you and me, love it and think it’s the best thing. Maybe it’s a crutch. I have heard some people don’t like the texture which is what I’d be concerned with.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You seem angry tonight. I know you said it was your first time having it. I was mentioning people I know, who aren’t basically chef’s like you and me, love it and think it’s the best thing. Maybe it’s a crutch. I have heard some people don’t like the texture which is what I’d be concerned with.

:lol:

I love text and the feelings it conveys. Yeah, wasn’t supposed to sound like that. As I said, I did like the texture but it was a filet, so how bad could it have been, you know. I’ll say this, for all the perfect temp talk, my wife’s had to be cooked a bit more. Imo, it’s a fad that will probably fade a bit within a few years. I couldn’t see myself buying one. We forget about the air fryer we have now after using it 3-4 times a week when we first got it. That’s how I see it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:lol:

I love text and the feelings it conveys. Yeah, wasn’t supposed to sound like that. As I said, I did like the texture but it was a filet, so how bad could it have been, you know. I’ll say this, for all the perfect temp talk, my wife’s had to be cooked a bit more. Imo, it’s a fad that will probably fade a bit within a few years. I couldn’t see myself buying one. We forget about the air fryer we have now after using it 3-4 times a week when we first got it. That’s how I see it.
I too think it’s a fad and just another gadget until the next big gadget.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can’t believe this price. I have 3 already in the freezer. It’s an incredible price to say the least.

8F06FD85-3926-497B-9E15-0009665F3254.jpeg

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
IMG_1317.jpg

Well I did my part in doing my best to assist the Bills with a win on Sunday evening.
Unfortunately I had no way of knowing that Mcdermott's plan was going to be to kick
as many field goals as he could. This is a classic from Western NY. The beef on weck
sandwich.

I use bottom round and roast for just about an hour per pound with a can of french onion
soup, and 1 cup beef broth. This has the au jus tender the meat even more while it cooks.
The roll really is the key. 2 egg whites over the top, sprinkle with Caraway and sea salt and
in the over they go for 5 minutes at 350. They turned out great as always. Can't say the same
for the Bills.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
MIL in town, so my house goes very Latin, very quickly. Grilled chicken with tostones.

You say that like it’s a problem. Send Mrs G and I an invitation next time. We’ll happily come over and enjoy the good chow. I’ll even bring over a nice Rioja to go with dinner.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Grilled marinated chicken breast with a mushroom risotto and roasted Brussel Sprouts (with bacon and red onions). I think I may have added a bit much too much smoke to the chicken; otherwise it turned out perfect.
upload_2021-1-30_23-14-39.jpeg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You say that like it’s a problem. Send Mrs G and I an invitation next time. We’ll happily come over and enjoy the good chow. I’ll even bring over a nice Rioja to go with dinner.

She was incredible when my wife and I first met, but is very hit or miss, not unlike my mother these days, when it comes to cooking. Generally great, but can be off at times. In any event, if it sounded negative it’s because I had a massive mess to clean up, as nothing can be simple and my wife is sick. You also can’t understate the third world element when it comes to day to day living. Money or not, there’s not a single piece of matching silver or dishes in their home, and nothing is ever put back in the same place, or where it logically belongs. That apparently travels so I’m constantly moving things back to where they go and looking for things that should be in their rightful spot.

That said, the invite stands.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just grilled chicken thighs. They were incredible. No pictures necessary. It was real life stuff.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Just inherited two nice cast iron skillets from my in-laws estate however they’ve been abused. My FIL would scrub them down with soap and water then put them away to dry with no oil. I cringed every time. Any tips on bringing them back to life? I put them in the oven on 450 for an hour with bacon grease but I think they might need to be sanded and started over from scratch.

Suggestions?

flg8rfan

Nov 28, 2018
Just inherited two nice cast iron skillets from my in-laws estate however they’ve been abused. My FIL would scrub them down with soap and water then put them away to dry with no oil. I cringed every time. Any tips on bringing them back to life? I put them in the oven on 450 for an hour with bacon grease but I think they might need to be sanded and started over from scratch.

Suggestions?

Without pictures it’s hard to say. Cast iron is super resilient, so you might just need to reseason them. Any markings on the bottom, are they ‘collector’ items? If so then definitely rehab, if they aren’t, just season the hell out of them.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Without pictures it’s hard to say. Cast iron is super resilient, so you might just need to reseason them. Any markings on the bottom, are they ‘collector’ items? If so then definitely rehab, if they aren’t, just season the hell out of them.

One is a Griswold and I can’t find a marking on the other one possibly because of build-up. The Griswold is probably 100 years old. I’ll try some course salt and a potato and see if that helps.

7C80C20A-18B1-494C-BE2B-7FE383A88EE1.jpeg 4FAE3FA5-DBAE-488F-A0C8-B9F8E74FA760.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb