Dinner time

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I take my son back to UF on Monday and as the food at the frat is apparently quite forgettable, I went all out tonight and made bone-in ribeyes from the egg topped with with mushrooms sautéed in butter and garlic and carmelized vidalia onions. Twice baked potatoes and tossed salad on the side and I reached deep in the cellar and poured a 26 year old Bordeaux.

I was told it was a hit.

upload_2021-8-14_23-7-3.jpeg

Edit: Not gonna lie; I thought it was pretty damn good too.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@soflagator that pork roast looks fantastic! That was one of my MIL’s specialties. She’d always make a gravy from the renderings along with fresh mashed potatoes. Holy cow! Your wife’s roast has taken me back to a wonderful place. You are a lucky man, indeed,

I was told it was a hit.
You were told??? How much vino did you have during the prep? :) Seriously, that steak and potato looks out of this world!

Edit: just saw your edit!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@soflagator that pork roast looks fantastic! That was one of my MIL’s specialties. She’d always make a gravy from the renderings along with fresh mashed potatoes. Holy cow! Your wife’s roast has taken me back to a wonderful place. You are a lucky man, indeed,

You were told??? How much vino did you have during the prep? :) Seriously, that steak and potato looks out of this world!

Edit: just saw your edit!

Yeah, they don’t do anything with the reduced fat in their culture. Just gets tossed aside. Not sure why, as I’ve had what you described as well and it’s great. And the whole Latin diet is certainly not averse to calories or a path to diabetes. It just gets missed I guess.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I did it a little different this go. Spread mustard all over and used a mustard based rub. Came out so good I got grease on my brand new sneakers and shirt. So pissed. First time to wear both. Leads on learned.

Simply had fries with the ribs.

A1923B68-6032-4DA2-9FB9-3CA99172E85B.jpeg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@NVGator Pimento cheese was readily available when I was coming up and something my bunch enjoys as well. I was always partial to my grandmama’s. It was pretty simple. Cheese, mayo (no Miracle Whip, ever), pimento, black pepper, a little garlic powder. What made it good to me was that she diced up the pimentos and used sharp cheddar that she grated very fine. She was also careful to not use too much mayo. Just enough to bind the other ingredients. Not too heavy-handed with the garlic. Too much would impart an almost bitter taste. Mix thoroughly and slowly. Try not to make a paste.

It was always good on crackers as a snack or on celery sticks as an hors d’oeuvre. We had these every Christmas and Thanksgiving. If we ever packed a lunch for traveling, there would always be pimento cheese sandwiches (on Roman Meal bread) cut in half to make triangles and wrapped and neatly folded in wax paper. Man, this was always a treat!

I’ve had another version with similar ingredients, but also contained some cream cheese and a dash of tabasco that was good.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@NVGator Pimento cheese was readily available when I was coming up and something my bunch enjoys as well. I was always partial to my grandmama’s. It was pretty simple. Cheese, mayo (no Miracle Whip, ever), pimento, black pepper, a little garlic powder. What made it good to me was that she diced up the pimentos and used sharp cheddar that she grated very fine. She was also careful to not use too much mayo. Just enough to bind the other ingredients. Not too heavy-handed with the garlic. Too much would impart an almost bitter taste. Mix thoroughly and slowly. Try not to make a paste.

It was always good on crackers as a snack or on celery sticks as an hors d’oeuvre. We had these every Christmas and Thanksgiving. If we ever packed a lunch for traveling, there would always be pimento cheese sandwiches (on Roman Meal bread) cut in half to make triangles and wrapped and neatly folded in wax paper. Man, this was always a treat!

I’ve had another version with similar ingredients, but also contained some cream cheese and a dash of tabasco that was good.

Sounds exactly how my Grandmother and my Mom would make it. The cheese was always grated with a hand grater that had a hand crank to it and extremely fine. Same thing with the triangle bread. They always did it on celery as well but not a celery fan.

Good stuff.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
c4de684151cdce97b9f50cef18606ebf.jpg

Not a dinner (yet) but gotta brag on my new Big Green Egg I got for my 40th bday last week. More dinner pics will be on the way as I test this out

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice. Just a heads up, NV sets the bar pretty high on grilled meats here and isn't afraid to go all Joe Bastianich on you if he sees a flaw.:lol:

That I know…I’ve posted a few pics in the past year. I’ll put my stuff up with anyone…well steak, chicken, pork. Still need to vastly improve my brisket and ribs. Those have given me a headache

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015

Now add some diced jalapeños to that. Mmmmm

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Rigatoni with escarole, cannellini beans and sausage. Sort of a traditional Italian wedding soup meets pasta. Turned out really good, though next time I’ll add more beans.

upload_2021-8-29_7-26-15.jpeg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Monday night meal. Steamed cabbage, roasted carrots, mashed potatoes, and glazed boneless pork chops and pork meatballs.

686843FD-E037-403F-AE21-B97826BCDA5F.jpeg

Glaze turned out really well. It was made with garlic, ketchup, cherry jam, water, champagne vinegar, and butter. Meat was supposed to be just the meatballs, but c2Jr dropped by and we added the chops so there’d be plenty of meat. Obviously we weren’t expecting company since we used the everyday china!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Monday night meal. Steamed cabbage, roasted carrots, mashed potatoes, and glazed boneless pork chops and pork meatballs.

View attachment 35011

Glaze turned out really well. It was made with garlic, ketchup, cherry jam, water, champagne vinegar, and butter. Meat was supposed to be just the meatballs, but c2Jr dropped by and we added the chops so there’d be plenty of meat. Obviously we weren’t expecting company since we used the everyday china!

Not a cabbage fan but like the rest . I could be mistaken but those meatballs look like you roasted them in a skillet rather than the oven . Definitely prefer the former myself . Nice work my man. What’s in the Gator cup?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Gatorbait25 Thank you sir. The meatballs were done in the skillet. Got them browned then finished in the glaze. They turned out very well if I do say so. Wish I could tell you of an exciting drink, but it was just well water with a squeeze of lemon. I’m a little gun shy during the week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb