Dinner time

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve never known someone to eat so much pasta.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
My grandmother made peach cobbler for me when I was young so from that basic recipe you can create new stuff. Dad made us blackberry cobbler cause we had so many down the back road from our house in the spring. I have found a good patch of them outside of town in an undeveloped subdivision (now finally building a house in there) , where they dug some ponds. So dry they are just millions of very small red ones now but with some recent rain they are finally turning black. Found a bunch this morning and now have almost two cups of berries for my future cobbler. I need that sweet like I need another debt but Im gonna reward myself soon. Nothing much better than some sort of fruit pie or cobbler, hot, with vanilla ice cream. will post a pic when I make it.........

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My grandmother made peach cobbler for me when I was young so from that basic recipe you can create new stuff. Dad made us blackberry cobbler cause we had so many down the back road from our house in the spring. I have found a good patch of them outside of town in an undeveloped subdivision (now finally building a house in there) , where they dug some ponds. So dry they are just millions of very small red ones now but with some recent rain they are finally turning black. Found a bunch this morning and now have almost two cups of berries for my future cobbler. I need that sweet like I need another debt but Im gonna reward myself soon. Nothing much better than some sort of fruit pie or cobbler, hot, with vanilla ice cream. will post a pic when I make it.........

There’s no forward guidance in the Dinner Thread. We don’t need projections and wild illusions of your future plans. You either make the dish and then post about it, or you don’t mention it at all.

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
My grandmother made magicberry pie. It tasted like anything you wanted it to taste like. Steak, strawberries, blueberries, coffee…you name it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve heard of mince meat pie but never ribeye and cherry pie.
I had Ribeye as the main course and Cherry Pie for dessert.
Angry Season 9 GIF by The Office

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Make another batch of bacon from 10lbs of pork belly. Tried all kinds of combinations of rubs during the 10 day fridge cure, and all kinds of combinations of woods during smoking. Also tried the combinations oven baked, pan fried and deep fried.

Obvious conclusion:
200.gif

SlNot so obvious conclusions:

Best rub? Didn't really matter. Not worth the effort.

Best wood for smoking: Cherry Wood ... hands down. Fantastic smell and taste.

Best cooking method: Pan fry and oven bake were a draw. Deep fry took ALL the smoke flavor out.

Woods used: Hickory, Mesquite, Pecan, Apple, Cherry, Bourbon Barrel.

Smoke time: 6 hours (cold smoke)

Cure time: 10 days, fridge, cure salt + kosher salt.

Rubs: Cajun, Black Pepper, Mustard bbq, Texas BBQ, Creole, none.

After cold smoking, brought to 150F for 4 hours.

Sliced each combo and test cooked 2 slices with each cooking method.

Bacon for a year!

excited breaking bad GIF

Putting my engineering degree to good use.

Heres a pic pre-cure.
I wanted to fit all the samples on the cutting board but ran out of space. Also ran out of ambition for another pic with them. Too much like work. The plain, salted ones were used as a control for the smoking portion.
20230418_154539.jpg

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Better than Smithfield or applewood from Costco because theirs sure seems easier?

:dunno:
The work was in the experimental method.

The cherry wood smoke was >>> better than any bacon I've ever had. No sugar added. In addition, because it's dry cured, there's not much shrinkage (the store bought stuff has water and sugar). Plus, I like the rind left on. Makes eating bacon a two stage process: Eat the bacon, then crunch/chew the rind.

The rest of the rubs/smoking wasn't worth it. But I can't know till I know.

Not much work in salting a whole slab, put in fridge for 10 days (passive) cold smoke for 6 hrs (passive), then heat to 150F for a few hours (passive). Then slice thick or thin (active ... but a slicer makes quick work of it). Then freeze in pound bags.

It cooks up completely different than store bought stuff.

But sure, get your Chinese bacon delivered from Costco.

:lol:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Cherrywood smoked chicken thighs and country style ribs. 1/2 with Carolina Gold BBQ rub and the other with Pineapple Teriyaki rub.
20230527_162001.jpg 20230527_120121.jpg

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
There’s no forward guidance in the Dinner Thread. We don’t need projections and wild illusions of your future plans. You either make the dish and then post about it, or you don’t mention it at all.
Taking pictures of future poo ain't part of my wheelhouse. Except spatchcocked turkey. And only because turkey is awful except for brined and spatchcocked.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
My wife is making Chicken and Dumplings tonite. My grandmother, not the one who chased me under the house, made dumplings akin to pasta. Rolled out very thin and sliced into 1 inch strips. When I got stations up North, the dumplings were puffed with a semi raw center. Sort of like a matzo ball. My question is: what style die you grow up with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.