Dinner time

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My wife is making Chicken and Dumplings tonite. My grandmother, not the one who chased me under the house, made dumplings akin to pasta. Rolled out very thin and sliced into 1 inch strips. When I got stations up North, the dumplings were puffed with a semi raw center. Sort of like a matzo ball. My question is: what style die you grow up with?

My mother made dumplings like the second ones you described. More of a matzo texture.

Also, since we’ve again just decided to engage in complete anarchy, I was just informed by my wife that we’re having anglerfish cooked by an underwater volcano tonight. Should be good.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
My wife is making Chicken and Dumplings tonite. My grandmother, not the one who chased me under the house, made dumplings akin to pasta. Rolled out very thin and sliced into 1 inch strips. When I got stations up North, the dumplings were puffed with a semi raw center. Sort of like a matzo ball. My question is: what style die you grow up with?
Puffy with doughy center. Moms chicken and dumplings tasted like chicken pot pie filling.

Well Done Ok GIF by funk

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Puffy with doughy center. Moms chicken and dumplings tasted like chicken pot pie filling.

Well Done Ok GIF by funk

My mother made chicken pot pie once when I was a kid. I remember I took a bite and the outside crust had hidden the fact that the inside was like 4 degrees above lava temperature. I burned my mouth so badly I can still recall the pain. I swore I’d never eat it again and have held firm in my conviction. It really has no place in a civilized dinner setting.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
My mother made chicken pot pie once when I was a kid. I remember I took a bite and the outside crust had hidden the fact that the inside was like 4 degrees above lava temperature. I burned my mouth so badly I can still recall the pain. I swore I’d never eat it again and have held firm in my conviction. It really has no place in a civilized dinner setting.
I've had my share of similar experience with hot pockets. How they haven't been sued back to the stone age is beyond me.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I've had my share of similar experience with hot pockets. How they haven't been sued back to the stone age is beyond me.

I imagine their legal team was in front of that from the beginning and has them pretty well insulated. I guess it also helps that the only people who would ever eat Hot Pockets generally don’t have the internet. Or matching socks. Yikes.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Rice, black beans and pulled pork on the under side. Baked in oven to melt the cheese.

IMG_0680.jpeg

IMG_0684.jpeg

Pork nachos from the leftover boston butt

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Home style similar to what you describe, though to save time we’ll often use the frozen ones. Had them made with biscuits cut into four pieces that were good. But if I’m not in a rush, I’ll make them from scratch, one inch strips as you mention, maybe 1/2 inch thick with a little raw flour on them. Boil a whole chicken first, pick it clean and save the broth to use, supplement with a box of broth, and make sure there’s enough black pepper to taste. We also slice up two - three boiled eggs and add them.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Home style similar to what you describe, though to save time we’ll often use the frozen ones. Had them made with biscuits cut into four pieces that were good. But if I’m not in a rush, I’ll make them from scratch, one inch strips as you mention, maybe 1/2 inch thick with a little raw flour on them. Boil a whole chicken first, pick it clean and save the broth to use, supplement with a box of broth, and make sure there’s enough black pepper to taste. We also slice up two - three boiled eggs and add them.
I also use the frozen dumplings. Cracker Barrel makes the thick ones that I don't enjoy as much.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I also use the frozen dumplings. Cracker Barrel makes the thick ones that I don't enjoy as much.
Agreed. They could also be a little doughy at times. We don’t eat at CB that much anymore, but that was my go-to when we did.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wife gone for the day, just me and the dogs. I have been running the weight room for the past two weeks in the morning and today I decided to go by the produce place and picked up some fresh corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Fixed an all-vegetable lunch. Added some peas from last evening (put up last summer)…

2C1668C0-0985-441A-AC56-AF096630A5F9.jpeg

Not the best photography, but the fresh vegetables hit the spot. Every meal during the summer when I was growing up had tomatoes and cucumbers. The cukes were sliced, salted and peppered, and soaked about 15 minutes in white vinegar. Modern folks might call it a ‘quick pickle.’ The vinegar has always been a good palate cleanser for me and seems to help make everything taste better.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Wife gone for the day, just me and the dogs. I have been running the weight room for the past two weeks in the morning and today I decided to go by the produce place and picked up some fresh corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Fixed an all-vegetable lunch. Added some peas from last evening (put up last summer)…

View attachment 58575

Not the best photography, but the fresh vegetables hit the spot. Every meal during the summer when I was growing up had tomatoes and cucumbers. The cukes were sliced, salted and peppered, and soaked about 15 minutes in white vinegar. Modern folks might call it a ‘quick pickle.’ The vinegar has always been a good palate cleanser for me and seems to help make everything taste better.
Nice election. I’m growing creamer 8’s (cow) peas in the garden this year. Not sure how well they will do in KY but we shall see.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice election. I’m growing creamer 8’s (cow) peas in the garden this year. Not sure how well they will do in KY but we shall see.
Keep us posted. I’m going back to the produce place tomorrow and pick a couple of buckets of Cream 40’s. We bought a used pea sheller at an estate sale and are anxious to try it out.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018

View attachment 58575

Cover, that looks delicious. May I come to lunch some time?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.