Disappointing Signing Day

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One question that comes to mind, we had 13 EE's this winter. That is a record for UF and it comes with the expectation that it will pay dividends on player development.

Does anyone know where to find the records of how many EE's UF has taken by year, or how many other programs typically take? Our class sizes are on par with the t10 recruiting classes, and the differential on star ratings has been noted, but do we have visibility to historical EE numbers?

Not sure but I know it's the most UF has ever taken. Also looks like most other programs capped out around 7 or 8 EE's. Some as few as 2.

I haven't looked that closely but I know it was historically high for us and also read a few weeks ago that we had the #1 EE class. Not that that means that much for those only focused in the final rankings. But for programs that are in rebuild mode and will be counting on youngsters to contribute, I think it means something. The coaching staff certainly seems to think so.

Bottom line is I think we knocked it out of the park on the offensive side of the ball. I wish we'd nabbed another OL or two. But we got a HUGE OL class last year. I think we got 7 including the kid we got late from NC State. (It wouldn't surprise me if some OL shied away from us this year based on the number we took last year and the fact that little separation in that huge OL class means they'll competing for playing time with them all 4 years. Not saying that's right, it's just how these kids seem to think these days.)

Offensive recruiting was great for a change. Where we had a drop off is on the defensive side and that is the source of all our Gator recruiting misery. Still though... all those EE's ought to count for a small bump in percentage points for those kids as they will get a huge head start in college life with outstanding strength coaches and dietitians getting a head start on making them finely tuned athletic specimens... much like the wifey tells me I already am...
:captain:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
:lol:

How you been bro? Haven't seen you around the board in a long damn time. You gonna stick around?
Good. Yeah it's been awhile and I plan on staying. My membership at 247 ends soon and I have zero plans to renew it. This last recruiting class did me in

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good. Yeah it's been awhile and I plan on staying. My membership at 247 ends soon and I have zero plans to renew it. This last recruiting class did me in
Good man. Glad you're back. :thumbup:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would grade the offense as an A- on offense and a C+ on defense with a B grade overall. The offense isn't graded higher because it would have been nice to bring in one more O-lineman, and the defense isn't ranked lower because Mac did at least bring in some good players on defense.

The positives of this class are that Mac did bring in some good help that was immediately needed for 2016 and there is now a strong foundation for the offense in future seasons. The negative of the class is that we do not have a strong foundation for the future of the defense beginning in 2017. Hopefully, the coaches can compensate on the recruiting trail for next year so that we aren't set back another 2-3 years from being championship contenders.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe that grumpy old man is still kicking to be honest

He has been one miserable SOB. He absolutely insists on squashing any good vibe immediately upon entering any thread... Saying the exact same thing in every single thread over and over.

And it's hard to believe he's an "old man". Every time I read one of his posts I picture some spoiled brat twenty-something living in his moms basement, pounding on his keyboard as he furiously types...

200.gif

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
He has been one miserable SOB. He absolutely insists on squashing any good vibe immediately upon entering any thread... Saying the exact same thing in every single thread over and over.

And it's hard to believe he's an "old man". Every time I read one of his posts I picture some spoiled brat twenty-something living in his moms basement, pounding on his keyboard as he furiously types...

200.gif
I can't recall T REx ever being happy. Ever. The only time he's ever happy is when UF fails at something, so he can be proved right

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, it's easy to establish that relationship, when he has the connections he has. He can say he has coached in two NFC champion games, and won at Stanford. Do we have any one in our staff who can say " I have real NFL experience" like Harbaugh? Our staff apparently sucks at SFL because Richt was able to come down here and take them with limited time, and Harbaugh was able to.
This is one the reasons I felt Mac wasnt the right guy. No name, no rep, not much of a recruiter. It may work out and I like his offense, if Mizzu was his offense, but this will probably take tree more years of significantly better recruiting then a couple of years for the kids to develop, at best.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is one the reasons I felt Mac wasnt the right guy. No name, no rep, not much of a recruiter. It may work out and I like his offense, if Mizzu was his offense, but this will probably take tree more years of significantly better recruiting then a couple of years for the kids to develop, at best.

I have always believed we would see real improvement until 2017, both off the field (recruiting) and on the field due to the holes left the last 6 years. You have to grow an offensive line, and we didn't have one. But 2017 we will have guys in the system for 3 years, so we should see real growth. So far I like the offense, not incredibly impressed with the defense. Last year, all they had to do was keep status quo to be good, and it appeared the DB's took a step back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb