Disappointing Signing Day

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
anyone else see this:

Just prior to Putu’s commitment, the Gators received notice from safety Antonio Nelson that he would be signing with UF.

But it’s unclear if Florida will accept his signed letter of intent after it appeared they had moved on from Nelson.

Tony Nelson with the #Florida hat in front of him. Big time DB #NSD pic.twitter.com/mqOxZYX5wo

— Stephen Gunter (@Stephen_Gunter) February 3, 2016

Was the issue with Nelson strictly grades, or did he kind of try playing the game the way several others did? I never got a full story, but it seemed like his tweets that were posted here indicated he was having a change of heart.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not disappointed at all. I believe we've addressed the immediate needs just fine & this will prove to be a great base for Mac to build on. Lot's of kids already on campus will pay big dividends this fall.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just noticed something that is really sad. All of Muschamp's recruiting classes were ranked higher than this class according to Rivals. That said, all of Muschamp's classes were overrated and he recruited a lot of 4* disappointments. Hopefully Mac is a better at evaluating talent (I believe he is) and will be able to get a lot more out of his classes.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Inexperience and depth problems at LB, depth and size issues at DT, and a downgrade at DB with the probable losses of Tabor and Wilson. We may have an OK secondary then, but still not as good as last year and this year. We will have good pass rushers at least.

While I agree 2017 looks to be a down year, 2018 could be a lot better if next year's class is really good.
Exactly. DB, DL, and LB will likely be better next year than the couple after that.

Not based on anything more than gut feeling but I could see QB play with Del Rio being significantly better in 2016. Not sure who the QB will be in 2017 but I'm not sold at all on Trask or Franks. QB should be better in 2018 assuming Allen is as good as he looks in HS. OL likely loses Ivey after 2017 and I don't see any talent of his level in this class. I probably should have said 2016 most likely better than 2017 and 2018 a big unknown. Either way Mac's first 2 leave a lot to be desired in the LOS department.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac might not survive long term with another class like this next year. You can't have multiple let downs in the SEC and be at the top long

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we were placing bets on a Top 5 finish. Is that still going on?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A little unbalanced, sure. But coached by anything other than the chimpanzee they were dealt, that 2010 class would've produced a ring of some sort.

Otherwise, I tend to agree. Not a great finish but not a hateful class. The problem we face is that we'll face half the teams that finished in front of us. So there is some merit to the sentiment that these classes won't cut it if our goal is to win championships.
Foley proved we don't have championship aspirations when he gave muschamp another year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB said:
Hopefully Mac is a better at evaluating talent (I believe he is) and will be able to get a lot more out of his classes.
Think he is better at evaluating talent than Saban? What about the point that we saved 4-10/seats depending on whether you believe the goal was 28 or 34 kids, for all those 4 and 5 star kids we desperately tried to land?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not disappointed at all. I believe we've addressed the immediate needs just fine & this will prove to be a great base for Mac to build on. Lot's of kids already on campus will pay big dividends this fall.

If you get to feelling too good about us adressing our needs just look at how our rivals are filling theirs.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oklahoma is #23. This board would have exploded had that been us. Wow will they even have winning records with that recruiting class?? Recruiting means nothing until they actually play on the field.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Inexperience and depth problems at LB, depth and size issues at DT, and a downgrade at DB with the probable losses of Tabor and Wilson. We may have an OK secondary then, but still not as good as last year and this year. We will have good pass rushers at least.

While I agree 2017 looks to be a down year, 2018 could be a lot better if next year's class is really good.

By down year I hope that means we only win 10-11 games since we're winning it all next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Rivals.com Florida Final Top 100 2016

Top 10: Florida 2 FSU 1 Miami 1 UG 1

11-20 Florida 0 FSU 3 Miami 2

21-30 Florida 2 FSU 2 Miami 2 UG 1

31-40 Florida 0 FSU 1 Miami 2

41-50 Florida 1 FSU 2 Miami 0

Top 50 Florida 5 FSU 9 Miami 7

51-60 Florida 0 FSU 0 Miami 3

61-70 Florida 0 FSU 0 Miami 1

71-80 Florida 1 FSU 0 Miami 1

81-90 Florida 2 FSU 0 Miami 0

91-100 Florida 1 FSU 0 Miami 1

Top 100 Florida 9 FSU 9 Miami 13 UG 2

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3555/0

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I did not know it was Billy Bob Thornton. Nice call.
BB didn't either
tumblr_n621b2xBHb1qgco7qo2_250.gif

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Ask trask and gstormandan

Ahh the hindsight. Cute. I said top 7 btw, and with Maunel and Fulton (thought we had good shot) we very well could have been top 7.

I'm as disappointed as everyone else (besides GatorKev, he is loving this). Still a solid class no doubt, and I know Mac will coach em up.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After so many years of defensive dominant classes, I'm excited for about the offensive firepower of the last two classes.

That being said, Collins is officially on watch. I was fine with his defenses most of the season. But he has Shannon and Rumph in his side pocket. He needs to be the kingpin and closer in recruiting. Coupled with the defense flopping in Orlando, his leash should be very short.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
After so many years of defensive dominant classes, I'm excited for about the offensive firepower of the last two classes.

That being said, Collins is officially on watch. I was fine with his defenses most of the season. But he has Shannon and Rumph in his side pocket. He needs to be the kingpin and closer in recruiting. Coupled with the defense flopping in Orlando, his leash should be very short.

Collins is trying to use us as a springboard to a head coaching job. Maybe we should all try and help a brother out? ;)

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I thought we were placing bets on a Top 5 finish. Is that still going on?

Funny, nobody was brave enough to take the bet but are in a hurry to point out how wrong I was. Difference is, I would have actually paid up. If it ever comes up again you should get in on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator