Do you Bleed Orange and Blue

Since Tampa Gator has left us I've decided to start a poll to find out who is deserving of calling t

• I went to UF My wife went to UF my parents went to UF my Kids went to UF my dog went to UF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Did not go to UF but l led the 2bits cheer for 49 years

• Got a Gator shirt at the homeless shelter, been a fan ever since

• The Stadium bares my name

• No affiliation with UF just Love my Gators

• I once shook hands with a man that went to UF

• Total voters

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This topic has come up before and I posted this on the old board:

You can tell people you're a Green Bay Packers fan. You can't tell people you're a Packer (unless you've actually gotten paid to play football for them). Same goes for being a Steelers fan, a Red Wings fan, or a Celtics fan. I don't question the passion of Packers fans...but they're Packers fans, not Packers.

To me that's one of the differences between college and pro. You can actually be a Gator, a Buckeye, a 'Husker, a Bulldog.

I didn't play football (or tennis, or golf) for UF, but I can tell people I'm a Gator.

Mr. Two Bits may be the greatest Gator fan of all time and he never attended a class at UF (he attended the Citadel). The Swamp is full of passionate, loyal fans who never attended UF. Some are wives who attended FSU back in the day. Some are children of alums who chose a different path in life. I have a friend who owns a Gator Den. His son chose the Air Force Academy but his blood is every bit as orange and blue as mine.

Is there a difference? In some sense, yeah, there is. When you spend 3, 5, 7, even 9 years of your life as a student at the University of Florida, you have a different connection to the University than somebody who may have attended every single game since 1979. That doesn't make you better or worse, just different.

Maybe you played intramurals on Flavet Field, you did the Alligator crossword puzzle in Little Hall, you had your girlfriend meet you at the Rock after class, you camped out for tickets in the stadium, you got some sun (and an eyefull!) at Broward Beach, or you climbed the O'Dome roof. You remember the Running Man, you debated Brother Jed in the Plaza, you ate Burrito Brothers, you made out with a girl at the Porpoise, then you puked in the bushes by St. Augustine, "Flash" took your picture, UPD gave you a parking ticket, you smoked weed in the dorm with towels around the door, that cute DG took your heart, that cute DPhiE gave you the clap, you danced at the Theater, you hated your dorm roommate, you owned 7 empty kegs, and your apartment roommate worked at a restaurant and hooked you up all the time. That's a special connection we have with each other.

What about the passionate fan? Maybe he was there when we went 0-10-1, he went to Jacksonville year after devastating year before SOS arrived, he saw Kerwin drag his broken leg across the goal line to beat Auburn, he was in Tallahassee for the late hits and in New Orleans for the sweet revenge, he's been tailgating on the same spot where his parents tailgated before him and where his children are tailgating today, or maybe he made a road trip with his father to see a high school phenom named Emmitt Smith play, and 2 decades later and took his son on a road trip to see another high school phenom named Tim Tebow play. He has a special connection with other Gator fans as well as with Gators who are also fans.

So, I'm a Gator. Not everybody can be a Gator. Not everybody appreciates being a Gator. But I'm a Gator and I appreciate it.

Others are Gator fans. Some Gator fans bleed more orange and blue than Gators and deserve respect. I am honored that they have chosen to adopt the school I attended as their own and appreciate their contributions be it financial, cheering at games, posting on message boards, wearing the gear, or just loving the University of Florida in their hearts.

Go Gators.

Alex.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n51750 said:

You can tell people you're a Green Bay Packers fan. You can't tell people you're a Packer (unless you've actually gotten paid to play football for them). Same goes for being a Steelers fan, a Red Wings fan, or a Celtics fan. I don't question the passion of Packers fans...but they're Packers fans, not Packers.

To me that's one of the differences between college and pro. You can actually be a Gator, a Buckeye, a 'Husker, a Bulldog.

I didn't play football (or tennis, or golf) for UF, but I can tell people I'm a Gator.

Mr. Two Bits may be the greatest Gator fan of all time and he never attended a class at UF (he attended the Citadel). The Swamp is full of passionate, loyal fans who never attended UF. Some are wives who attended FSU back in the day. Some are children of alums who chose a different path in life. I have a friend who owns a Gator Den. His son chose the Air Force Academy but his blood is every bit as orange and blue as mine.

Is there a difference? In some sense, yeah, there is. When you spend 3, 5, 7, even 9 years of your life as a student at the University of Florida, you have a different connection to the University than somebody who may have attended every single game since 1979. That doesn't make you better or worse, just different.

Maybe you played intramurals on Flavet Field, you did the Alligator crossword puzzle in Little Hall, you had your girlfriend meet you at the Rock after class, you camped out for tickets in the stadium, you got some sun (and an eyefull!) at Broward Beach, or you climbed the O'Dome roof. You remember the Running Man, you debated Brother Jed in the Plaza, you ate Burrito Brothers, you made out with a girl at the Porpoise, then you puked in the bushes by St. Augustine, "Flash" took your picture, UPD gave you a parking ticket, you smoked weed in the dorm with towels around the door, that cute DG took your heart, that cute DPhiE gave you the clap, you danced at the Theater, you hated your dorm roommate, you owned 7 empty kegs, and your apartment roommate worked at a restaurant and hooked you up all the time. That's a special connection we have with each other.

What about the passionate fan? Maybe he was there when we went 0-10-1, he went to Jacksonville year after devastating year before SOS arrived, he saw Kerwin drag his broken leg across the goal line to beat Auburn, he was in Tallahassee for the late hits and in New Orleans for the sweet revenge, he's been tailgating on the same spot where his parents tailgated before him and where his children are tailgating today, or maybe he made a road trip with his father to see a high school phenom named Emmitt Smith play, and 2 decades later and took his son on a road trip to see another high school phenom named Tim Tebow play. He has a special connection with other Gator fans as well as with Gators who are also fans.

So, I'm a Gator. Not everybody can be a Gator. Not everybody appreciates being a Gator. But I'm a Gator and I appreciate it.

Others are Gator fans. Some Gator fans bleed more orange and blue than Gators and deserve respect. I am honored that they have chosen to adopt the school I attended as their own and appreciate their contributions be it financial, cheering at games, posting on message boards, wearing the gear, or just loving the University of Florida in their hearts.

Go Gators.

Alex.

BEST......POST......EVER!!!!!

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, ox, can you get the What Level Gator Are You? as a sticky over here? That place feels like an ex-girlfriend's house, just don't wanna go back.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Uh, yeah, I bleed o&b. I earned more than one degree from UF. But, I was a gator before I ever stepped foot on campus -- and you can too.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
NavetG8r said:
We've already done this. I'm a level 6 Gator, and that's good enough for me. :headbang:
Nav...Where does level 6 rank on the scale?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
AlexDaGator said:

Go Gators.

Alex.
Holy cow...that was awesome...seriously. One of my best dates ever was to Burrito Brothers (Guac today?) and I have a thousand pictures taken by Flash. Not to mention as a kid, we lived in the Flavet converted army barracks before it became Flavet field. Great memories and a greater connection for sure. And Murphree\Sledd got hot as hell in the summer.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
HogtownGator said:
Uh, yeah, I bleed o&b. I earned more than one degree from UF. But, I was a gator before I ever stepped foot on campus -- and you can too.
Amen brother...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
playzwtrux said:
BTW, ox, can you get the What Level Gator Are You? as a sticky over here? That place feels like an ex-girlfriend's house, just don't wanna go back.
I think it was in the Hall of Fame, and they evidently deleted the Hall of Fame section. Makes sense right? Save all the other threads and delete the ones that were notable enough to put in a Hall of Fame. :rolleyes:

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
I don't doubt the allegiance of any American citizen, whether they were born here or immigrated. Therefore, I don't doubt the allegiance of any Gator fan, whether they attended the university or not.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n52148 said:
I don't doubt the allegiance of any American citizen, whether they were born here or immigrated. Therefore, I don't doubt the allegiance of any Gator fan, whether they attended the university or not.

I get what you're saying and agree with your general point but remember this--

This guy was born an American Citizen, in Arlington VA.

g-cvr-130822-nidal-hasan-628p.380;380;7;70;0.jpg

I doubt his allegiance.

This guy attended the University of Florida, he is now known as the Voice of the Seminoles.

Warchant-GeneDeckerhoffTalksAboutBroadcastingHis400thFSUFootball569-842.jpg

I doubt his allegiance.

Alex.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator said:
Mudd;n51004 said:
I'm a Gator because I just told you I am.
^This!!! I bleed orange and blue. I may not have attended UF, but I was born and raised in Gainesville (GHS Class of 1992), sold cokes and maybe mixers at Florida Field when I was 13, I skipped school to meet Clinton at UF (looking back on it not proud bc I'm a hard core conservative), ran in countless Gator Gallops, participated in countless Homecoming Parades, I have screamed so loud at the TV (bc I'm in the Army and can't make games unless I'm home) that I passed out, I schedule my leave around big games (I was at last years FSU game not to mention countless Georgia and LSU games when I can), I have a GATOR ROOM with NC pictures and Gator gear on the walls), if Gator ANYTHING is on TV I all I will watch it that includes Lady Gators as well, so yes I'm a fu€%ing Gator! Therefore you can stick this poll up your ass, & never question me about the Orange and Blue in my Veins!!!! If you have to ask then it must be you that might not bleed Orange and Blue. #ItsGreattobeaFloridaGator
I came in second one year at Gator Gallop. Byron Dyce beat in the last 100 yards.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I saw Cris Colinsworth throw passes, Wilbur Marshall chase Trojans around their backfield, a dog loose on the field, an SEC championship taken away, the return of a Heisman winner and the careers of two more. National championships by the quarter dozen.

I've seen open end zones, full Growls and lightning chase the marginal fans away.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ppinesgator said:
I saw Cris Colinsworth throw passes, Wilbur Marshall chase Trojans around their backfield, a dog loose on the field, an SEC championship taken away, the return of a Heisman winner and the careers of two more. National championships by the quarter dozen.

I've seen open end zones, full Growls and lightning chase the marginal fans away.
:sadnanner: I'm marginal.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Judging by the poll answers Mr. 2 bits was a set of twins and should have been called 2 bitses. ;)

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator said:

Go Gators.

Alex.
Damn dude, you trying to make a brother cry? Post of the year. Pickup games at the rec, lunch time laps in the outdoor pool behind the BHG, riding the bus to the reitz union pickup every morning, reading the Alligator football articles, scarfing down food at tijuana flats, chicken bowls at mauii teriaki, solving your on-coming hangover with a pepperoni powerhouse from 5 star at 3am, sitting on the phone for 8 hours calling the ticket office 1000 times. starting the wave at home games, having your buddy hold your legs while you lean over the wall to get a kiss from Alberta and make it on sportscenter (OH yea!!), Hearing Mic scream "OOHH MYYY!!!"

Best times of my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator