Do you get the flu shot?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My wife, two boys, and I got the flu shot last evening at Publix. Mrs. and I also got the first Shingles shot. I have always been very healthy so if it were just me I probably wouldn't get either even though I have already had a very mild case of shingles several years ago. My 16 y/o son has Ulcerative Colitis so his immune system is compromised plus my MIL is a cancer patient. For their sake, I'll get the shots that Mrs. tells me to...

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I've never had a flu shot and I've also never had the flu. The only vaccine I've received since the ones required to start elementary school was a rabies vaccine. Shyt you not, when I was 18 got a job working for the USDA and was required to get it. I've spent the last 18 or so years looking for Cujo so I can try this shyt out.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Got my shot at CVS before learning Publix was giving a $10 gift cert for getting one. First, no lotto, now this. FML.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Got my shot at CVS before learning Publix was giving a $10 gift cert for getting one. First, no lotto, now this. FML.

It’s $10 - What are you waiting for? Go get another one*!

*sarcasm should be noted

Edit: did Publix say your had to get one from them to get your $10?

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If wearing mask works, why get a shot?

That's a good question. The effectiveness of the flu shot varies year by year. In a good year it might be 65% effective. In a bad year it may only be 25% effective. I'm not advocating skipping your flu vaccine particularly if you are in a vulnerable cohort, but still if wearing the mask is as effective as what the experts tell us then you have a good point. Perhaps the best protection would be to get the flu shot and wear a mask.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
No, we don’t.
I’ve had one maybe 3 times and always end up with body aches and low fever within 24hours.

UK is requiring it for students this year by Nov 1st.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Got it once a couple of years ago and had the flu 2 days later. Never again.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think I was about 10 when I got "the flu" for the first time. I don't think I've ever felt worse. I can remember lying face down on my bed, barely able to move my arms. Haven't had the flu since then and I didn't bother with a shot. But after turning 60 my wife made me get one. And while I've lost her since then, it's become a habit.

There are some studies which indicate that getting a flu shot also reduces the probability of heart attack by approximately 10%. Take that for what it's worth. I suspect that if you pulled all the results apart you'd find some of that result are simply due to the fact that people who get the shot take better care of themselves than people who don't.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I wouldn’t be surprised if there is eventually a connection made between flu/virus and cancers or dementias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator