Do you recall a player carrying a team the way Barnhill has?

Old Mossback Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
The one that comes to mind is Steve "Lefty" Carleton in the early 1970's when he pitched for Philly and won 27 games with a sub 2.0 ERA and the team almost lost 100 games.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Not a big NBA fan, but from what little I’ve seen from the playoffs, Kawhi Leonard looks like he’s doing the same thing with Toronto.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's not be disingenuous, Barnhill has probably one of Walton's best defensive units behind her that deserves a large measure of the credit.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't recall who the hell barnhill is

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I’m concerned. I started a thread about what ails the women’s softball program. My thread provided the spark needed to win the SEC tourney and the super regional. Now somebody starts a new thread that is flattering that very well may take the edge off the women and cause them to take their foot off the gas pedal. I was hoping this new thread would at a minimum be merged into my original thread or possibly be put in the dungeon. If we don’t go all the way, don’t blame me. I had us going in the right direction.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Kelly Barnhill is incredible. However, it's not unusual for a D1 softball team to ride 1 pitcher throughout the post season. Minnesota has a pitcher who has thrown every pitch in the NCAA tournament. James Madison had Megan Good pitch pretty much every meaningful game for them this year. Tennessee rode Monica Abbott during 2006 & 2007, with her pitching all but 1 game in their post season runs to the WCWS title series where they lost to Arizona in the championship series both years. Texas rode Cat Osterman, during her time at Texas. Softball isn't like baseball, where the arm can get ruined by overpitching. The underhand throw is natural and it's more the legs than the shoulder and arm that gets tired with a softball pitcher. It's better to have a staff in D1 softball, but when 1 pitcher is so dominant, coaches ride them fairly regularly. And I agree with another poster, who said the great defense is a big part of the Gators' success as well.

Last edited:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I remember Barry Sanders carrying a bunch of bums on his back in Detroit.

Alex.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Elite softball pitchers have been known to throw in excess of 200 pitches a day, every day......Many of them from 2nd base instead of the pitching rubber so 100+ in a game is child's play to them.

edit: Back when I coached 12 and 13 year old softball my pitchers would usually soft toss 50+ before getting serious and warming up. Had a lefty that needed upwards of 75 just to get warm, But when ready very few could touch her pitches, Had a natural curve that pushed rightys off the plate.
To better explain, If you're in the box, her regular pitch would come right at your left hip then break and go across the plate, My catcher usually held her glove almost 2 feet to the right of the plate... Blew umpire's minds during district and state play. Got a softball scholly to a small school, At 1st base

Last edited:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Can’t stand the guy, but Carmello basically won the final 4 by himself with Syracuse.

I think he had a decent white boy PG, but that’s it.

He was a beast

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I got it.

When I was a kid (before ESPN), everybody was either a Cubbies fan (WGN) or a Braves fan (TBS). No in-state teams and you could see the Cubbies or the Braves every day.

Everybody loved either Ryne Sandberg or Dale Murphy, depending on allegiance.

Both teams were bad but the Braves really stunk. They were terrible.

I grew up a Braves fan because they were the closest MLB team to FL. And I was a Dale Murphy fan.

Talk about carrying a bunch of bums...

This was the Bob Horner, Rick Mahler, Claudell Washington, Bruce Benedict, Rafael Ramirez, Glenn Hubbard version of the Braves.

Dale Murphy put up borderline HOF numbers for a lot of bad Braves teams in the 80’s.

Shame he retired right before the Braves got good with Maddux, Smoltz, Chipper, et. al.

Yeah...Dale Murphy.

Carried that team for the 80’s.

Alex.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I got it.

When I was a kid (before ESPN), everybody was either a Cubbies fan (WGN) or a Braves fan (TBS). No in-state teams and you could see the Cubbies or the Braves every day.

Everybody loved either Ryne Sandberg or Dale Murphy, depending on allegiance.

Both teams were bad but the Braves really stunk. They were terrible.

I grew up a Braves fan because they were the closest MLB team to FL. And I was a Dale Murphy fan.

Talk about carrying a bunch of bums...

This was the Bob Horner, Rick Mahler, Claudell Washington, Bruce Benedict, Rafael Ramirez, Glenn Hubbard version of the Braves.

Dale Murphy put up borderline HOF numbers for a lot of bad Braves teams in the 80’s.

Shame he retired right before the Braves got good with Maddux, Smoltz, Chipper, et. al.

Yeah...Dale Murphy.

Carried that team for the 80’s.

Alex.
Carried them where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb