Do you think Mullen would win at UF?

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
True. Following Spurrier was a tough act and he lost too many home games. I've always been curious as to how he would have done had they kept him for the 05, 06 seasons. It seems Tebow still would have come to UF, as he had a great relationship w/ Fedora. But once he lost to Miss State he was done!

Funny thing about the 04 Miss State game too, my Gator Club already had Jeremy Foley scheduled as a guest speaker that week....then they fired Zook. We had a HUGE crowd come out. I was the club president and I wrote a story for (I think) Gatorbait (they reached out to me and asked if I would write up a story on his speech). There was a pic of me, Foley, and the VP of the club in the local beaches paper.

Am I allowed to cross promote my take on Zook vs. Mac thread from the Gas? I think it was a fair take between the two.

No...we need a guy that can stick around for awhile.

Listen, I'd take Spurdog at HC for 5 years and see if we couldn't pull a guy like Jake Spavital over from WVU. I'm not the biggest fan of coach in waiting, but I'd see it more as on the job training. Plus, it may make up for Spurrier not wanting to recruit much at this stage in life.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Am I allowed to cross promote my take on Zook vs. Mac thread from the Gas? I think it was a fair take between the two.

Listen, I'd take Spurdog at HC for 5 years and see if we couldn't pull a guy like Jake Spavital over from WVU. I'm not the biggest fan of coach in waiting, but I'd see it more as on the job training. Plus, it may make up for Spurrier not wanting to recruit much at this stage in life.

Yes, this board does not GAF!

I agree w/ Spurrier. He'd very likely take a smaller salary ($1 million?) and let the assistants make bigger money. I'd bring on two potential future head coaches and secretly evaluate which one is the best option.

But, I'd rather just can Butters and bring on Frost...or Harsin....or Brohm....or Fuentes....or Saban....or Meyer....

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I would still prefer to hire a coach like Frost, Fuente, Gundy, or some other coach that is showing some serious promise...but i LOVE SOS and if he were to take the job for a few years i would love every minute of it...he's pretty much the whole reason i started following the Gators in the first place.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Yes, this board does not GAF!

Well, let's see bout if they do GAF. My Zook/Mac comments.

For those that actually haven't seen me do a longer post, here's my post LSU one. I did do an eye-popping title "Longing for the Zook Years". No, I'm not longing for that, but I did point out that in many ways Zook did better. On page 3, I compare what each coach inherited as well. This is the GatorTruth some of you have not seen yet. This is after watching the LSU game a second time. No, I wasn't banned after this. Actually, this was right after I was invited here. Sometimes I do things to be provocative, but try to have a point as well.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/truth-takes-longing-for-the-zook-years.377875/

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If he's smart he'll stat at MSU. He can keep going like he is there and go down as a MSU legend. He'd be a below average coach at one of the blue blood programs though.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Didn't he say UF was a lateral move when Collins took the DC job?

I think he'd win at UF, he's won 9-10 games in the rugged SEC West. I'm sure he'd get to 9-10 wins regularly at UF as well. But I don't think he's a national championship type coach. He does develop QBs very well and has a lot of good qualities.

He spoke to our Gator Club prior to his first season at UF. He was still in his 20's (maybe 28, 29), I believe, and no one knew anything about him. He was impressive, for being so young and so new. Everyone was excited about the new staff (after the Zook debacle).
31 and 38 in SEC games which is 45%, and that's with having Dak as QB for 4 yrs. Take away the Dak years and he wins about 1 in 3 SEC games. He would be a god-awful hire in my opinion.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
31 and 38 in SEC games which is 45%, and that's with having Dak as QB for 4 yrs. Take away the Dak years and he wins about 1 in 3 SEC games. He would be a god-awful hire in my opinion.

Possibly, I'm not advocating we hire him by any means. I think he'd be a significant improvement on the last two clowns we hired to run our program, imo.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Possibly, I'm not advocating we hire him by any means. I think he'd be a significant improvement on the last two clowns we hired to run our program, imo.
Sad but true, he is a better coach than what we've had, although Muschamp may be his equal now as he gains experience. For some reason our coaches seem to regress during their time here, and our QB's, and our O-lineman, and, etc.... We need someone to come in and break this pattern.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Which is meaningless. We aren't looking to hire a better clown.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's probably win more than Mac, since he seems actually capable of coaching up QBs, but he's still not a championship level HC. His track record is fairly consistent over a long enough period now to know what kind of coach he is imo.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Can't believe you people are discussing Mullen :facepalm: as if our AD would do something that stupid... n/m

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
msu9.jpg

'Bout right

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can't believe you people are discussing Mullen :facepalm: as if our AD would do something that stupid... n/m

So far this AD's hires have been ok, he has only been on the job less than a year, so he isn't at fault for Muschamp or McElwain.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So far this AD's hires have been ok, he has only been on the job less than a year, so he isn't at fault for Muschamp or McElwain.

Besides the raises & extensions to McElwain.....who has he hired? The woman's basketball coach? Did he give the extension to O'Sullivan?

I'm not going to sit here and play along w/ the thinking that Foley is still pulling the strings (I think that's BS), but the raise & extensions last off-season were a HUGE head scratcher. WTF did Nussmeir or Nord do to warrant a raise and/or an extension? They should have been fired....but if we were going to keep them, it should have been w/ no raise and a 1-year deal. Instead we're on the hook for over $1 million if they're fired (plus over $1 million for their 2017 salaries.....and look at what we're getting for that!!).

Stricklin needs to man up and do the right thing....or he's going to feel a lot of heat next year around this time (when the 4th year is heading for disaster). If UT hires a competent coach we'll fall farther behind in the SEC East (can they really hire a 4th dud coach in a row??).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.