Doering on UF WR's

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Franks looked horrible last year, we all agree. Theyve all looked like shyt. What is the common denominator?

Did you ever listen to Quiverlips and think dafuq is he talking about? Is there any doubt that the players had no fvkking clue either?

Franks looked terrible. I wasnt surprised and told you before the season he wasnt ready so I expected LDR or even Zaire.

It isnt his fault he was forced to play too soon.

Remember Danny Wuerffel's first year, RSFr? Think he was even going to be an acceptable backup? Neither did I. Odds are still against Franks but waot and see first. This system is much better suited to him. Hell Butters offense isnt really suited to anyone. That is why his QBs always had trash numbers.

If Franks sucks again, Mullinz isnt invested in him. It will be quickly self correcting. This isnt 2012 w Chimp and Drisktard when you KNEW the HBC would keep playing a terrible QB regardless of how he played.

I may be remembering this wrong, but in '93 I could've swore Danny set a freshman record for TD passes. I don't remember him being as bad as you do, but I was only 12. I don't think Danny ever looked as lost as Franks did last year. I'm sure Danny improved as the season went on that year, unlike Franks did last year. Maybe Mullen can work some kind of magic with Franks, I just have my doubts that he can.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Are you talking about the Danny Wuerffel who:

"There's Danny Wuerffel of Florida, who set a National Collegiate Athletic Association record for freshmen last season with 22 touchdown passes,"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...2d2-a969-26bdbb1205d0/?utm_term=.3e91d0be4e13

When you say you didn't know whether or not the guy who set the then NCAA record for TD passes as a Frosh "was even going to be an acceptable backup," you are revealing a lot about you and nothing about any of the UF QBs you are discussing, old or current. It is statements like the above that cause people to think you are either a pessimist generally or just negative about UF all the time.

I should've finished reading through the thread before I replied to his post with this same tidbit about Danny. I couldn't remember for sure if it was him or not that set the recored for freshman, Danny clearly went on to have better seasons than his freshman one, but that's to be expected normally. I just remember him and Dean always going back and forth in those two seasons. The real question now is if Franks can show some growth from what we saw last year, or if he'll be the same turnover machine. I'm also wondering about his ball security on running plays, since he will be expected to run a lot more. I guess we'll find out in less than 2 months.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I do remember Spurrier pulling Danny in '93 in the UGA game cause he could't grip the ball in the monsoon. It had to take a lot of courage to admit that personal flaw to a coach that was surely going to pull you for it. Danny was as mentally tough a QB as we have had at UF. I guess this year we'll see about Frank's mental toughness, cause he has had to heard all the criticism about him, does it motivate him to get better or not?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I'm sorry I didn't get you special ed services at a young age.
:nono:........that requires weeks of testing and meetings out the ass..........besides he might have turned out as a kickball teacher like me with
all that ecumucational jargon being thrown at him, or worse a gddmm DEMO crap. You realize how stupid it looks to argue over Danny Wonderful but I get it...........we are all like wanderers in the desert praying for that NEXT long drink of of super star quarterbacking to hit Spurrier field wearing the orange and blue............so put your dicks and rulers back in your pants and join me in embracing the next great epoch in gator history and hope it become Epic.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:nono:........that requires weeks of testing and meetings out the ass...........
Trust me, Im not one of those delusional parents who doesnt know what I have w him.

Love him anyway.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
So you are saying this is a casey/81 moment where family airs their dirty laundry in public or just their "dirty" like they do...........

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
My guess is you see all 3 QBs. Franks needs to show he is not still interception prone.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is a good point you make about Mullen simplifying the offense for Franks, which I got to believe he will do. I just think Franks will still F**K it up.

Don't doubt Franks will fck up, he was brought in not ready, and didn't really improve. The difference will be the in the damage of the fck ups. Nuss made him read the full field with everyone spread out. Reducing it down to a quarter, should reduce the damage when he fcks up. The offensive ceiling will be low, but that is also to keep the fck up ceiling low as well. Make it as low risk as you can, which also makes it low reward.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My guess is you see all 3 QBs. Franks needs to show he is not still interception prone.
I dont much care if he is interception prone if he is also tossing more TDs. His strength is throwing deep though and Mullinz .......doesnt throw deep.

I dont know. Hard to imagine how it works.

He is capable of running....some... so there is that I guess.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I dont much care if he is interception prone if he is also tossing more TDs. His strength is throwing deep though and Mullinz doesnt throw deep.

I dont know. Hard to imagine how it works.

He is capable of running....some... so there is that I guess.

A little birdie tells me Mullen will try to throw more than usual.....I didn't know birds drank alcohol...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A little birdie tells me Mullen will try to throw more than usual.....I didn't know birds drank alcohol...
Seems hard to imagine. If I look at this roster, w a pretty nice set of backs, an OL that does ok run blocking, some receivers who havent done a damn thing and two returning QBs w basically no strengths, and an OC who favors the run anyway, I see run, run and run again. And hope for a surprising defense.

We will see I guess.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Don't doubt Franks will fck up, he was brought in not ready, and didn't really improve. The difference will be the in the damage of the fck ups. Nuss made him read the full field with everyone spread out. Reducing it down to a quarter, should reduce the damage when he fcks up. The offensive ceiling will be low, but that is also to keep the fck up ceiling low as well. Make it as low risk as you can, which also makes it low reward.
He can throw the bomb which can have a high reward. What concerns me is Frank's decision making over the middle and getting rid of the ball in a timely manner.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He can throw the bomb which can have a high reward. What concerns me is Frank's decision making over the middle and getting rid of the ball in a timely manner.

Throwing a bomb takes time which is also high risk. Do you trust him in the pocket for long enough to throw that bomb without something going wrong?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Throwing a bomb takes time which is also high risk. Do you trust him in the pocket for long enough to throw that bomb without something going wrong?
Would rather have Trask. Maybe on a hail Mary like UT game Franks is better with his stronger arm.

To keep teams honest Mullen threw deep even when he had QBS who would frequently miss their target. Mullen has WRS who can go up and get the deep ball like Grimes (if cleared), Cleveland and Van Jefferson who is very good at getting open.

Mac last season had WRS who could not get open so teams blitzed alot. This year if teams blitz we will have TEs, WRS and RBS who can make opposing defenses pay. This in turn will put less pressure on the QBs.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Would rather have Trask. Maybe on a hail Mary like UT game Franks is better with his stronger arm.

To keep teams honest Mullen threw deep even when he had QBS who would frequently miss their target. Mullen has WRS who can go up and get the deep ball like Grimes (if cleared), Cleveland and Van Jefferson who is very good at getting open.

Mac last season had WRS who could not get open so teams blitzed alot. This year if teams blitz we will have TEs, WRS and RBS who can make opposing defenses pay. This in turn will put less pressure on the QBs.

What evidence do you have that this group are better route runners than last years group. Most of the group is last years group. Lets wait until we have some game film before we state all is well with them. I hope that the receivers coach has taught them to run routes, but right now all we have is hope it is better. We haven't had an issue with natural talent at the position, it's the actual playing the position which has been the issue.

What have you seen on Trask that makes him better. Him lighting up the practice squad, his high school tape, his camp tape.... until he does it against live NCAA competition there is no evidence he has what it takes either.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What have you seen on Trask that makes him better. Him lighting up the practice squad, his high school tape, his camp tape.....
He hit MLB and the strong safety right in the numbers in the spring game and almost completed 50%. Almost.

And he hit that alum for a TD.

And he ran for zero yards, even while Mullinz was giving an interview about wanting to see willing runners at QB.

He is basically the total package. What more do you fckkers want?

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
What evidence do you have that this group are better route runners than last years group. Most of the group is last years group. Lets wait until we have some game film before we state all is well with them. I hope that the receivers coach has taught them to run routes, but right now all we have is hope it is better. We haven't had an issue with natural talent at the position, it's the actual playing the position which has been the issue.

What have you seen on Trask that makes him better. Him lighting up the practice squad, his high school tape, his camp tape.... until he do aes it against live NCAA competition there is no evidence he has what it takes either.
New WR Van Jefferson already has shown he is a productive SEC WR. I saw a video on him and he is a very good route runner and I believe his dad is an NFL coach. He moves very quickly out of his breaks and is helping the other WRs.

Doering (who played WR 9 years in NFL) says our new WR coach is much better than what we had last year. Plus we possibly have new 5 star Grimes who has training in Meyer's similar system and new 4 star Copeland who Bama wanted.

Cleveland when healthy has shown he can go up and get the ball. Toney has top tier moves and will.now have good WR coaching.

We will have new TEs coming in who are better than what we had last year.

Trask did not play last year so he is new ammo we did not have. He has been more accurate than Franks. Emory Jones is new ammo also and is designed for Mullen's offense.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
New WR Van Jefferson already has shown he is a productive SEC WR. I saw a video on him and he is a very good route runner and I believe his dad is an NFL coach. He moves very quickly out of his breaks and is helping the other WRs.

Doering (who played WR 9 years in NFL) says our new WR coach is much better than what we had last year. Plus we possibly have new 5 star Grimes who has training in Meyer's similar system and new 4 star Copeland who Bama wanted.

Cleveland when healthy has shown he can go up and get the ball. Toney has top tier moves and will.now have good WR coaching.

We will have new TEs coming in who are better than what we had last year.

Trask did not play last year so he is new ammo we did not have. He has been more accurate than Franks. Emory Jones is new ammo also and is designed for Mullen's offense.

Van Jefferson has shown some ability, and Grimes right now is an N/A (not cleared). Otherwise same group. We have TE you hope are better, no in game action... you don't know. What evidence do you have that they are better... game film?

Trask didn't play last year, didn't play the year before that, didn't start in high school at all. What are you basing your quess work on, on Trask. Emory Jones might be good, might not. He has played so well against NCAA defenses?

We hope the receivers are better, but so far what Doering said is nothing more than a Summer fluff piece. And Chris is all Gator loves the gators, but he is always wearing his Orange and Blue glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.