Does our band have any signature songs anymore?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This was my 'get off my lawn' rant about the piped in 'music' at SS Florida Field @ BHG Stadium.

The problem with the music is more than just it being rap though. I don't like rap personally, but may understand its being played if the majority of those in attendance did. That's simply not the case. I would say less than 15% of the fans want it, and a handful are adamantly opposed, especially if they're with their kids. You can edit something out, but honestly shouldn't have to rely on that if it's supposed to be a family friendly environment. The irony of Stricklin talking about improving the gameday experience, while also constantly blasting music that 80%+ don't want to hear, is incredible. The students may like it, but they're not even there most of the game. The players may respond to it, and it they do and are enjoying themselves to it--late in the game once things are decided--that's fine. But playing it early on, and watching players dance to it just moments before giving up a TD to an opponent is ridiculous. I don't care what type of music it is in that case if it's taking away from the players' focus. I'd also be ok with certain moments. When we played Turn Down for What against Lsu in 2018, when we were trying to get energy late in the 4th, it was actually pretty cool. But playing it all game long just waters that down.

To be clear, I equally hate this new Sweet Caroline trend we've adopted. If I wanted to hear that I'd go to a Red Sox game. That has nothing to do with UF and is embarrassing. In general, the whole experience has lost it's soul and identity. Taking away historical songs, and replacing them with a mixed bag of completely unrelated songs being piped in feels like an NFL game. We're throwing countless hundreds of thousands of dollars at kids for band scholarships so they can play 3 songs, and be sitting on their hands for 80% of the game. What sense does that make?

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alachua/Bradford mostly, but not too far from Gainesville... because going to apply to PKY for the daughter

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
The problem with the music is more than just it being rap though. I don't like rap personally, but may understand its being played if the majority of those in attendance did. That's simply not the case. I would say less than 15% of the fans want it, and a handful are adamantly opposed, especially if they're with their kids. You can edit something out, but honestly shouldn't have to rely on that if it's supposed to be a family friendly environment. The irony of Stricklin talking about improving the gameday experience, while also constantly blasting music that 80%+ don't want to hear, is incredible. The students may like it, but they're not even there most of the game. The players may respond to it, and it they do and are enjoying themselves to it--late in the game once things are decided--that's fine. But playing it early on, and watching players dace to it just moments before giving up a TD to an opponent is ridiculous. I don't care what type of music it is in that case if it's taking away from the players' focus. I'd also be ok with certain moments. When we played Turn Down for What against Lsu in 2018, when we were trying to get energy late in the 4th, it was actually pretty cool. But playing it all game long just waters that down.

To be clear, I equally hate this new Sweet Caroline trend we've adopted. If I wanted to hear that I'd go to a Red Sox game. That has nothing to do with UF and is embarrassing. In general, the whole experience has lost it's soul and identity. Taking away historical songs, and replacing them with a mixed bag of completely unrelated songs being piped in feels like an NFL game. We're throwing countless hundreds of thousands of dollars at kids for band scholarships so they can play 3 songs, and be sitting on their hands for 80% of the game. What sense does that make?
I have a feeling that those who review 'game day experience' feedback are millennial weenies who believe the current 'music' lineup is Inclusive, Gender Neutral, necessary for Diversity and Sustainability, while at the same time it smashes Patriarchy and White Privilege. IOW, Fuchs the old white bastards in the alumni section.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have a feeling that those who review 'game day experience' feedback are millennial weenies who believe the current 'music' lineup is Inclusive, Gender Neutral, necessary for Diversity and Sustainability, while at the same time it smashes Patriarchy and White Privilege. IOW, Fuchs the old white bastards in the alumni section.

We Are The Boys? Guys being "square" and women judged based solely on their looks?

d5d97404-5cec-4acc-9358-0cd7905cbd08_text.gif

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I don't know if the band can do it, but a local boy wrote a song more than 50 years ago with the right name: "Don't Come Rollin" if you think your rollin' over me! His name is Bernie Leadon and he was one of the original Eagles. Before that he was with Dillard and Clark.

Don't Come Rollin - YouTube

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
We Are The Boys? Guys being "square" and women judged based solely on their looks?

d5d97404-5cec-4acc-9358-0cd7905cbd08_text.gif
I'm sure 'We Are the Boys" is on the Woke chopping block. "Girls are the Fairest" marked by impartiality and honesty or complexion??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.