Donations - Parkinson's Foundation

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I realize this isn't sports related; however, the Parkinson's Foundation is conducting a drive to raise money for the promising research for a cure or better treatments. If Ox needs to remove this, I understand. Many of you know someone or has/had a family member diagnosed with Parkinson's. It is a very debilitating disease and it is affecting more and more young people. I was only 38 when I first noticed the symptoms. Thanks to Michael J. Fox and others, there has been a lot of progress made and researchers are on the verge of discovering better treatments and/or a cure. Please consider making a donation and be a part in the progress being made. The research is very expensive and only goes as far as the funding will take it. Thanks for your time and consideration. GO GATORS

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is obviously close to your heart. I'll sticky it for a week or so it doesn't get lost. I'd advise that you put in a link as well to direct people if they want to read up on it or donate money.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
This is obviously close to your heart. I'll sticky it for a week or so it doesn't get lost. I'd advise that you put in a link as well to direct people if they want to read up on it or donate money.
Thanks GatorJ. I thought I added the link. I will try again. It is something that's very important to me. I may miss out on a cure; however, I want one to be available for others who will be diagnosed in the future.

www.Parkinson.org

www.michaeljfox.org

I listed the two main foundations. Please donate to one or both. The second link is Michael J Fox's foundation. He has given a lot of his own money and time to improve research efforts.

Thank you!

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator...my thoughts and prayers are with YOU and your family. I have lost my mother and sister to cancer, which has become an industry of fundraising with no discernible increase in the "cure" success rate for the last 25 years. I cannot donate to an industry that keeps searching for answers but just can't quite lick it. I am not so informed on Parkinson's, I'll admit, but I would rather do something for you than them. PM me and let me know if you need anything that I can help with.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator said:
GIGator...my thoughts and prayers are with YOU and your family. I have lost my mother and sister to cancer, which has become an industry of fundraising with no discernible increase in the "cure" success rate for the last 25 years. I cannot donate to an industry that keeps searching for answers but just can't quite lick it. I am not so informed on Parkinson's, I'll admit, but I would rather do something for you than them. PM me and let me know if you need anything that I can help with.
Thanks Tally! The two organizations that I posted have made a difference in millions of people's lives. They are responsible for most of the advances in treating the disease. Stem Cell research is looking very promising and without these two organizations it wouldn't have gotten off the ground. There's a new treatment, which is in the trial phase, that removes Lewy Bodies from the brain, which improves the production of Dopamine. It has shown great promise. 85 cent of every dollar goes directly to research - that's remarkable, compared to most non-profits. Finally, Michael J Fox is really involved in his organization and makes sure that the focus stays on research. He has given millions, himself and is responsible for the current success. They encourage Parkinson's patients and their families to raise money in their communities; so, I'm trying to do my part. If nothing else, educating people is important. Recognizing the signs of Parkinson's can be key to catching it early and treating it with therapies that can slow down its advancement. Also, exposure to toxins is believed to be one of the main causes; especially, in younger people. My Doctors believe that I developed it from exposures to toxins while in Iraq. It makes me worry about all the other Troops, who could develop the disease, as well. Thank you, again, for your kind words.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator said:
Tally, I am sorry to hear that you have lost close family members to another disease. As for the Cancer research - I am no conspiracy guru; yet, I can't help but wonder if and how much the pharmaceutical companies interfere with the advancement of Cancer treatments. There are some who believe that effective treatments have been discovered; purchased by the big pharmaceutical companies and locked away. It sounds a bit crazy, but, it could happen. Greed is a terrible thing.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I have no way of knowing if any of you make donations and I would never put anyone on the spot. I just want to thank those who can contribute and if nothing else, I hope you read the information available on the two sites and become informed about this disease. I hope none of you have to come face to face with it; however, chances are you will. Thanks, again, to Ox and others for allowing me to post this and to those who make donations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.