Doug Dickey's wife passes

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
JoAnne Dickey (1930 - 2019)
Jacksonville, Florida

JoAnne Dickey 6/2/1930 - 2/13/2019 JoAnne Beville Dickey passed away on February 13, 2019 at the age of 88 in Jacksonville, FL from complications of Parkinson's disease after a long courageous battle. She was born on June 2, 1930 in Daytona Beach into a family of Florida pioneers who came to Hamilton County in the 1840s and moved to central Florida in the 1850s. Leaders in agri-business, they settled between Center Hill and Bushnell.....and graduated from the Univ. of Florida in 1953 with a degree in physical education. She taught school for one year in High Springs Florida while her newlywed husband Doug quarterbacked the Gators his senior season. JoAnne joined with Doug to actively assist his career through the Army, football coaching at the Universities of Arkansas, Tennessee and Florida, tile business, and as Tennessee athletic director for 18 years....
View JoAnne Dickey's Obituary on News-JournalOnline.com and share memories

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
RIP. I didn't know her husband was the QB at one time. Pell's first year was the first year as a kid I remember what went on that season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Her husband got chased out of G'ville. That couldn't have been easy. They landed back in Knoxville where he served as AD for several years.

RIP.

JoAnneDickey.jpeg

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I didnt know that. I knew Doug went to PK Younge so that makes sense as many faculty at UF sent their kids there.

Dallas Dickey was a professor of speech and was very well known and respected in his field. Doug Dickey grew up working on the grounds keeping crew at UF.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10417947909372407

Southern Speech Communication Journal
Volume 44, 1979 - Issue 2

Dallas C. Dickey: Pioneer of the critical study of southern public address

Abstract
"This article discusses the contributions of Dallas C. Dickey (1904–1957) to the critical study of southern public address. Dickey held teaching appointments at Louisiana State University (1938–1946) and at the University of Florida (1946–1957). During these nineteen years, he devoted himself in his teaching, writing, and professional associations beyond the campus to the task of developing a significant body of research on southern speakers. The authors conclude that through his pioneering efforts, Dickey gave vision and respectability to the critical study of southern public address."

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
My sincere condolences to friends and family. May God grant her perfect peace and eternal life through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dougie was a recruiter. I was amazed at the skill-position talent when I set foot on campus. A game planner or playcaller, he was not. We were front runners, literally so. We were dead in the water if the other guys jumped on us. No passing game in spite of having one of the best college receivers EVER.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
88, she lived a long and successful life.

RIP Gator!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here is today's small world comment.
Mrs. Dickey's sister was married to one of my high school football coaches.
One summer Darryl stayed with his aunt and uncle in the summer. He would always join us for our football workouts.
He was a really good athlete and really quiet back then.

I got to meet Mrs. Dickey once and she seemed like a very nice person. RIP.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Beville Rd - SR 400 in Daytona/South Daytona is named after JoAnne's pioneer family.

I remember the '69 Gator 9-1-1 super soph FB season with all the coaching intrigue. The Gators beat Dickey's SEC champ Vols in the Gator Bowl 14-13 that year for Ray Grave's last victory as HC. Dickey came back to UF in 1970 as head coach, replacing Graves, who took over the AD position.

Here's a recent interview updating his life with his wife in Jax as of last October.

Florida-Georgia 2018: Doug Dickey didn't put all his eggs in the Georgia basket

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dougie was a recruiter. I was amazed at the skill-position talent when I set foot on campus. A game planner or playcaller, he was not. We were front runners, literally so. We were dead in the water if the other guys jumped on us. No passing game in spite of having one of the best college receivers EVER.

My first game at Florida Field was the SMU game that was Wes Chandler’s stellar debut. North send zone. Nuts ever since.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My first game at Florida Field was the SMU game that was Wes Chandler’s stellar debut. North send zone. Nuts ever since.
That was my first FF game, too. East stands. DuBose took a handoff 75 yards to the house on the opening possession.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
4th and dumb.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

RIP. That family had to endure hell after that brilliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator