Driskel changes how he throws the deep ball (link fixed)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
QB Coach is nice to have.
Agreed. Is it almost unfathomable that we haven't had a real one for a damn decade?!!!!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
Law98gator;n28631 said:
Well, this is (hopefully was) another big problem for Driskel. So many on here bragged about him throwing "lasers" without knowing that was piss poor form most of the time. Here's hoping he can do it in the regular season some. I hope it doesn't make some on here claim he has a weak arm if he puts some air under it.

Scared to death he's going to have a good season, aren't you?
Nope, I'm a Gator. I want the Gators to win and win big. I'd be ecstatic if he can be even slightly mediocre. I was happy for him when he had those two good quarters in 2012 (4th qtr UT and 1st qtr Clowns).

And all the things that are being said now are exactly the things I've said in the past. Remember me saying he throws the long ball like a rightfielder trying to cut down a runner at the plate?

Having a good year won''t change the fact that he was a disaster the last two (freshman doesn't count). I'm no QB coach or coach at all. It should have been evident to even the casual fan and is dumbfounding that the coaches haven't been working on basics like his pitiful eye work, pocket movement, and throwing form for the last three years.

We've heard good reports out of camp before. Let's hope he can do it in the fall.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
Law98gator;n28631 said:
Well, this is (hopefully was) another big problem for Driskel. So many on here bragged about him throwing "lasers" without knowing that was piss poor form most of the time. Here's hoping he can do it in the regular season some. I hope it doesn't make some on here claim he has a weak arm if he puts some air under it.

Hope you don't throw out both of your shoulders backstroking.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
Law98gator;n28631 said:

I think it is a bit unfair to call him a disaster in 2012. The offense wasn't great, but Driskel generally made plays when he needed to. He made some great plays in the A&M game (throw to Hines) and key plays in other games.. not just the quarters you mentioned. I will agree he did not play well last year, I happen to think missing Fall camp had something to do with that. I'm not saying he was Heisman candidate, but a disaster isn't accurate. Of course.. no surprise coming from you.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Turk182 said:
QB Coach is nice to have.
It does seem like there is a huge difference in the coaching he is getting now vs. the coaching he had the last two years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
Law98gator;n28631 said:

He led our offense to 103rd and 13th in the SEC in passing (would have been 14th but he passed Barn when he had a bowl game and they didn't). Most games he didn't even throw for 200 yards. He finished behind Bo Wallace, Tyler Russell, and Jordan Rodgers. He saved his worst for the games that we needed him the most (Ugly and Looeyvulle). That's a disaster.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
Law98gator;n28631 said:

He had a 63.7% completion percentage 12 TD and 5 INT. The reason the numbers were so low was due to the offense running the ball so much and a poor offensive line (see LSU and UGA games). Driskel only averaged 20.4 attempts per game. He also rushed for 408 yards and 4 TDs over the course of the season, with a couple game winning first down scrambles. Oh.. and he led the team to a 10-2 season with wins over A&M, LSU and FSU... don't let the facts get in the way of you calling that a disaster though...

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n28701 said:
It does sound like he's getting much better coaching this year. He needs it and I'm sure he's happy to get it.

You really hit the nail on the head, you and Law actually. It's ridiculous that the kid got no coaching in HS, I understand that the fat man spent all his time trying to fix Brantley, but Pease really failed as did WM for hiring Pease. Of course Law is right that we haven't had a real Qb coach in over a decade.Gotta wonder how Brantley might have turned out or Driskel, Murphy and Skylar would have done with better coaching. I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems like Roper spends as much time coaching the backups as the starter.I don't know if you coud have had a better college Qb than Tebow but I also wonder if he had better coaching what might have been.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n28711 said:

And saddened to no end that 2013's 4-8 won't last forever, as he's enjoyed shoving it down everyone's throat for about 9 months now.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
MJMGator;n28701 said:
It does sound like he's getting much better coaching this year. He needs it and I'm sure he's happy to get it.

You really hit the nail on the head, you and Law actually. It's ridiculous that the kid got no coaching in HS, I understand that the fat man spent all his time trying to fix Brantley, but Pease really failed as did WM for hiring Pease. Of course Law is right that we haven't had a real Qb coach in over a decade.Gotta wonder how Brantley might have turned out or Driskel, Murphy and Skylar would have done with better coaching. I don't know if it's my imagination but it seems like Roper spends as much time coaching the backups as the starter.I don't know if you coud have had a better college Qb than Tebow but I also wonder if he had better coaching what might have been.
agree with all your points

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really think we're going to see an improved version of JD. Regardless of the issues this kid has had and there are plenty. Inept coaching, OC issues, play calling, bad decisions, on and on......He's kinda at a point like Muschamp. Seems to have all the pieces ( talent, roper, QB coaching ) and this is a no excuses season. I think we all may be pleasantly surprised. How much on the W/L's we'll soon find out.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n28803 said:
I really think we're going to see an improved version of JD. Regardless of the issues this kid has had and there are plenty. Inept coaching, OC issues, play calling, bad decisions, on and on......He's kinda at a point like Muschamp. Seems to have all the pieces ( talent, roper, QB coaching ) and this is a no excuses season. I think we all may be pleasantly surprised. How much on the W/L's we'll soon find out.

I think he will be improved simply due to the new offensive scheme but as far as showing the "it" factor at QB when you really need it in those tough games I just don't see it happening much. I can't remember a QB having as many starts as him and really showing that "it" factor all at once - showing it even when there is an offensive scheme change.

They were showing highlights of that young Missouri QB last night and I was really surprised at how many of his big passing plays came when the pressure was on and I mean pressure where a defensive player beat an O linemen and was coming right at him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb