Early 90s Gator Defense, the Boo Yaa Tribe, and Stuart Scott

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Did the Gator defense inspire Stuart Scott's catchphrase?

So everybody remembers Stuart Scott's catchphrase "Booyah" right?

I recall back in the early 90s we had a fierce defense featuring some big hitters like Tim Paulk, Fee Bartley, and Godfrey Myles. Somebody on that defense was a fan of west coast rap. There was a group back then called the Boo Yaa T.R.I.B.E, a bunch of big ass Samoans out of Southern California. Inspired by the rappers, Gator defenders referred to a big hit as a "boo yaa" and if you got one, you became a member of the boo yaa tribe. Everybody on those defenses wanted a boo yaa to their credit.

At the time Stuart Scott was a sports reporter for WESH, the NBC affiliate in Central Florida (not even the anchor, I think his beat was the Magic).

Later, Scott joined ESPN and soon turned "booyah" into his thing. He was fantastic on SportsCenter, just great.

I always wondered if he picked it up from those bad ass Gator defenders. After all, he was in the area reporting sports at the time the team was doing it. Anybody else remember this?

Rest in peace, Stuart Scott.

Alex.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
Trex that avatar is nauseating to say the least.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I actually found an article that references the nickname--

https://articles.orlandosentinel.co...0130339_1_boo-yaa-weakside-linebacker-defense

[h=1]Boo-yaa Gators Face Tough Task[/h] [h=2]Game of the week[/h]
October 13, 1990
By George Diaz of The Sentinel Staff

GAINESVILLE — Dexter McNabb was adjusting his shoulder pads when he heard the snap, crackle and pop. Florida's Boo-Yaa Tribe was leaving its signature on Louisiana State wide receiver Todd Kinchen.
''When Fee (Bartley) hit him, the sidelines went crazy. They started yelling 'Boo-yaa!' '' said McNabb, Florida's fullback. ''I looked over and saw Kinchen. I thought he was dead."

Florida's propensity for vicious hits spurred the inception of the ''Boo-Yaa Tribe,'' a select club for intimidating defenders. The members: Bartley, Richardson, Myles and inside linebackers Tim Paulk and Carlton Miles.

The original Boo-Yaa Tribe is a rap group.
''That's part of where the name came from,'' Paulk said. ''But really, we named it after the sound you hear when you hit somebody really hard. It's like - 'Boooooo-Yaa.' ''

LSU's Kinchen and Alabama tight end Lamonde Russell are the most noteworthy Boo-Yaa victims, laying prone for a while before staggering back to the sideline. Thompson (5-7, 181) wears the bull's eye tonight.
''He's little, but he's real tough,'' Fain said. ''We know he's good. But we're just waiting for the Boo-Yaa boys to get a hold of him.''

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator